“Best hotel experience in India!”
Review of Hotel Rockholm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum)
Hotel Rockholm
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Rockholm
The Rockholm Hotel was by far the best hotel experience I had during my five weeks in Kerala! My stay started the night before new years eve 2012. As a girl traveling alone I was concerned whether my taxi driver would really be waiting for me at the airport at 4:30am, yet there he was, Kumar, holding up a sign with my name on it. He brought me safely to the hotel after we stopped for a brief chai in the calm of the morning.Allen and Freddy at the front desk always went out of their way to ensure I was completely comfortable. Both room service and the restaurant were always consistent. I highly recommend the fish tikka and a pot of cardamom tea, yum! My favorite two things about the Rockholm were that I actually slept through the night with out any of the typical Indian street sounds, all you here are the crashing Arabian Sea waves. It is very quite and peaceful. The second best thing was the sweet little beach in a secluded cove only steps down from the hotel. I stayed in two different rooms number 15 and the honeymoon suit which I call the queens suit since I was alone. Both of my rooms were spotless and the showers always had hot water. People need to remember that there is a switch on the outside of your door to turn on the electric to the room, it conserves electricity, also short power outages are typical in India. Towards the end of my trip I was eager to get back to the Rockholm and catch up on all the sleep I lost in noisy varkala. Freddy and Allen remembered me and without a reservation ensured me that they had room for my last four days, this ended up being the best time spent on my trip! Thank you Allen for all the good conversations and coconuts, I can't wait to see you all again!
Theresa
Mantramassagestudio.com

Room Tip: In the winter there's no need for AC, the ocean breeze will do just fine.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank Theresa B

Reviewed 18 February 2012

This hotel is actually in Kovalam and not in Trivandrum. It is conveniently located up a hill just a few minutes from the main lighthouse beach and itself has a stunning location next to crashing waves. Unfortunately that is where my positive comments finish.
We travelled with friends and as we were unsure of what the accommodation was going to be like we initially booked one night. We had every intention of extending our stay if the hotel was satisfactory. Unfortunately it wasn't. I had booked an a/c room. On arrival we were told there was not one for us but with the windows open and the fan on it would be cool......Wrong. No apology was forthcoming for the lack of a/c room. It was humid, unbearably warm and, as a result of windows open, visited by mosquitos. We did not sleep at all.
On arriving in our room the electricity was not working and there was no water in the shower of our friends room. The electricity was fixed 45 mins or so later, but meant we could not operate the fan in the meantime.
The room was basic, clean enough. The bathroom was dark and depressing.
I know this is a budget hotel but the next day we went down the beach to the Jeevan Resort and got a much better air conditioned room for just 800 rupees more (about £10).
With decent service and upgrading to rooms this place could be so much more. We would have been willing to extend to 5 nights but didn't. It is a wonderful location and I don't think the owners realise what potential they have on their hands.

Room Tip: If you insist on staying get a room in the main hotel and not in the property across the courtyard
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Verity44
Reviewed 23 January 2012

We stayed at Rockholm in December 2011 and truly enjoyed our stay.
We were not at all impressed with Kovalam Beach, but Rockholm has its own beach (shared with a neighbouring hotel only) we made our stay very good. Sunbeds and umbrellas could be rented on the beach, although quite expensive for being in India. Beach was clean and quiet.

Our room was simple but very clean, and we had a terrace overlooking the sea, perfect place to sit in the evening and watch the sunset. Staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful.

In our opinion this must be the best choice of (budget) hotel in Kovalam, secluded beach yet only a few minutes to the restaurants of Kovalam beach.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bellsan
Reviewed 25 December 2011

This hotel is a funky place situation just behind and slight south (100m) from the lighthouse. It's tucked in nicely away from the main beach but less than a 5 minute walk to get there.
The staff is very nice and the rooms were very clean. This place looks like it's out of the 80s with a dash of south beach pastel colours. The bathrooms are average as per India but the views and rest of the hotel are worth the stay.
No breakfast is included which is rare in India but there are plenty of cheap options.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank cozziad
Reviewed 3 September 2011

My wife and I stayed in this hotel for a night on Nov 29, 2009.. It was a double bed, sea-facing, non A/C room... the location of this hotel is simply superb.. Except the roaring waves, you cannot hear any other unnecessary noise.. this is probably located 0.25 kms away from the mainstream Kovalam Light house beach, but that distance helps in peaceful holidaying.. In terms of the room, it is very spacious (with a TV, mini refrigerator), neat and tidy.. the beds and pillows were comfortable.. there was also a mini balcony, from where you can watch the sea quietly.. At the same time, the building seems to be a bit old and the furnitures can be renovated for betterment..

We had breakfast in the hotel.. no complaints.. The owner was very friendly.. as this is off-season, he was flexible in the check-out time (we took about 2 hrs beyond the normal check-out time).. The rent was INR 2300 (incl. lux tax).. Compared to so many other resorts/hotels along the beach (and amidst the commercial area), I felt that the stay in this hotel is worth the money spent.. may be, a bit more "modernized" room will make it wonderful..

Note:
(1) In Trip Advisor, this hotel's reviews are given under "Trivandrum Hotels/B&B". This should come under "Kovalam Hotels".
(2) I posted this text in 2009 December itself, but missed to confirm the email from TripAdvisor and hence reposting this.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank IndianTraveler010
Reviewed 12 March 2011

A true get-away. The rooms have incredible views. You're so close to the beach that the waves of the sea sound thunderous at times! It's further away from the thick tourist beaches down the hill. Rooms are simple but spacious and perfect for coming and going down to the rocks and sand. Food is just OK but with so many good restaurants available on the boardwalk it's not a big deal. Staff very helpful. Despite the fact that the town revolves around tourism, its a gem and relief from the madness of India. Internet access at little tourist booking office just down the hill with friendly face of "Sufiyan" ready to help you.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank INDIAVISITOR3
Reviewed 19 February 2011

- Brilliantly located just by the beach, very close to Kovalam beach promenade.
- Our room was quite large, with a small balcony with two chairs and a table, where could sit an enjoy a beer at night.
- Hotel staff is very friendly.
- The hotel shares a private beach with another hotel. The beach was not crowded at all, and they only had to salesmen, who sold fresh fruit to be delivered at any time :).
- The hotel restaurant is fine. We ate breakfast there and then had our dinner our in Kovalam itself.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family