“Nice rooms, good location, fantastic value”
Review of Jickys Nest

Jickys Nest
Ranked #12 of 98 Varkala B&B and Inns
Barcelos, Portugal
“Nice rooms, good location, fantastic value”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Really enjoyed Varkala and Jicky's. We stayed in1 room 100 meters from main building. The room was clean and AC was very good. The location is also good, 2 minutes walking from the cliffs and the beach, but in a quiet place. The service was also good, breakfast was average.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 31 March 2012

My son and I stayed in one of the cottages at Jicky´s at the beginning of March this year. The room was pleasant and very clean. There was a mini patio overlooking a pretty garden with trees and potted plants. The owners are very friendly and helpful. I would be happy to stay at Jicky´s again. Good value for the price.

Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Snowdonia
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Super clean rooms, the cleanest we experienced during our 4 weeks travelling in South India!!
Very friendly owners, taxi picked us up from airport at 4 a.m as arranged and they even let us sleep in a spare room till our own room was ready later that morning.
Their vegetarian restaurant a couple of minutes walk away serves delicious and reasonably priced food and run y very friendly staff.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tiffsnowdonia
London
Reviewed 22 January 2012

This place was fine to stay for a few days in Varkala, given that we wanted to spend most of our time on the beach and on the cliff and weren't too bothered about our accommodation. They don't offer meals so we really just came back here to sleep. The rooms are fine and have nice balconies/patios outside. It seems to be good value for money for Varkala. However, it wasn't particularly memorable compared to other places we stayed in Kerala. We also had a few difficulties with the service. On one day when we had to change rooms we were told we had to move all our stuff to the new room immediately at 7.30am. On the day that we checked out we were also hurried along to leave so that our room could be cleaned early in the morning before 9am. We would stay here again if we came to Varkala because of the value for money, but can't give it a very good.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Silver City, New Mexico
Reviewed 18 January 2012

After traveling all over India, we finished our wonderful vacation in Varkala, Kerola. Because of the great things we read, we decided to try Jicky's Resort, AND stayed the entire time in Kerola at Jicky's. We actually stayed longer because of the lovely beaches, AND Jicky's. This wonderful family have created a lovely home feeling, yet proifessional resort, in the care they provide. Mini and Oscar, the owners of Jicky's, will forever be in our hearts, and we will return. The wonderful restaurant also run by this family, Octopura is absolutely excellent. I cannot recommend any place my family has ever stayed, higher than Jicky's, and we do travel! Thank you Jicky's! From Susanne and Dennis Wilson/Bell, Silver City, New Mexico, USA

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
upstate ny
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Jickeys is centrally located, private and quiet. I realized when I rented a scooter for a day that many of the other homestays/hotels I had considered were far-flung. Jickey's is only a 1-2 minute walk from the cliffs. The beach is another 5 minute walk. There are many great restaurants and shops nearby.
My double room was clean and cool (non AC); mosquito netting and towels were provided. Rooms are cleaned every third day (I declined, checked out after 4 nights). The bed was comfortable and the sheets clean. The shower was lukewarm, but that's common in India. The price is excellent...I'm returning next month! The only drawback was that there was only one electrical outlet in my room.

Room Tip: I had a double room on the first floor, which was very comfortable. I've reserved a single my ne...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I stayed for 3 nights around New Year and was thoroughly impressed by Jicky's and really enjoyed my stay.

Friendly - The couple who own and run Jicky's are extremely helpful, friendly and clearly put the well being of their guests first.

Accommodation - I had 2 nights in a lovely and very spacious cottage and then 1 night in a room. The cottage was bigger but both were great, although I struggled to get the hot water working in the room. What I liked was that both had really nice sitting areas outside.

Cleanliness - it's VERY clean and they clearly take pride in this! They clean the rooms and change the towels daily and there are always people cleaning the common areas.

Location - I really liked being in a quiet area but only a few minutes walk from the cliff. It really was the best of both worlds and I slept well.

The breakfast was served in the vegetarian restaurant a few minutes away. It consisted of toast/jam, egg, coffee/tea so fairly basic but perfectly adequate.

Overall I thoroughly recommend Jicky's and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo