“Another piece of Paradise” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oceano Cliff

and 1 more site!
Oceano Cliff
“Another piece of Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

So refreshing to find a tranquil and natural Hotel. No Plasma T.V's or frills. Just the sound of the ocean, birds and a pretty tropical garden. My suite was spotless. Clean sheets and towels everyday and the floor mopped too. The staff were so polite and helpful. The chef even cooked a special 3 course meal for myself and two visiting guests. We choose the menu. Freenwi-fi wasbavailable in reception and the restauranrt area. I had three treatments whilst there. On my one month travel in the south of India, the therapist I had was the best I experienced. She performed miracles in three days and was very kind. Her experience showed. I would love to return here in the future when I have saved enough for a full 2 week's treatment. I liked it so much I extended my visit by one day. Iona Evans Holywell UK

• Stayed August 2013

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Krakow, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

Ocean viev, perfect location,silent,garden,big rooms, bathroom with amazing viev for ocean and palms,balcony.Very nice athmosfere, friendly staff, good food.
The best place in Varkala. Far from noice. Perfect for rest. No alkohol in the hotel.
Mostly for Ayuverdic people:)
Not far from North Cliff: full of restaurants, shops and night life ( by rickshaw)

Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

My experience at the hotel was wonderful. The truth is that I had no expectations, I just wanted to rest, wanted me to take care and forget about my life for a month.
I found a beautiful place! With a beautiful garden with sea views every morning when I got up I was leaning my life and energy. All hotel staff without exception were friendly and helpful, I felt very cared for and protected.
My room was comfortable and had a nice terrace where I sat down to rest, read or listen to music ... I felt better than at home. During the day was walking through the garden and down to the beach, I really liked the accessibility and the stairs to the sea. The views were beautiful from anywhere in the hotel. The atmosphere was quiet and relaxing.
Oceano is a charming place, everything is very careful, not an ostentatious way, but with basic needs and in response to the beauty and comfort.
In relation to meals menu, I loved it! I liked to try the typical Indian meals and menus especially typical of Kerala. During 20 days followed an Ayurvedic treatment and food was very well prepared, the doctor was coordinated perfectly with the kitchen so every day I would eat what helped me improve my stomach problems ..
The medical team treated me with love, I took care and carried a very comprehensive monitoring and follow me. My therapist, Adhira, was a sweetheart, I was gently and daily massages and energy filled me helped me relax.
I have only nice words, care for intimate moments that I lived in this beautiful hotel in Varkala. I recommend it to anyone who wants to unwind, you want cleaned inside and out to be connected with himself!. And also for those who want to enjoy a beautiful setting and care. Undoubtedly a beautiful experience that I will repeat.

Room Tip: I liked the small room on the ground.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Nuria C
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2013

Pre-booked this place for the end of our trip around Kerala as place to unwind by the beach. The weather let us down a bit but the hotel did not disappoint. Beautiful location by the edge of the south cliff. Maybe sea views from rooms is stretching it but don't think you could be better placed in Varkala. For those that haven't been, the north cliff and adjoining beach are absolutely tourist hell - easy enough to pop over to in the evenings when you're looking for a beer and Tibetan Italian food but not a place for a prolonged stay. The south cliff on the other hand can only really be accessed by the few hotels that back onto it so is virtually private and of course absolutely gorgeous. They're into their ayurvedic treatments at the hotel so it has 'that' kind of vibe to the place but is equally lovely for average joe looking for some peace and quiet in idyllic surroundings. Staff very helpful too and loved the breakfast. Only minus point was not choosing proper AC as a fan doesn't quite hack it when it's hot. Not likely to go back to Varkala (too many other places to go!) but if I did I'd probably stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Haarlem, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

We booked (and paid!!!) this hotel for three nights, but practically 'ran' away after about 20 hours. We were so very disappointed!!!

The whole idea and reason for choosing this hotel was, that it spoke of a loft with balcony and sea views.

We arrived at the hotel after quite a rough taxi ride of 5 hours at 8 in the evening.

The loft was very spacious and light. Clean too. But really basic, almost spartanic.

The rates btw are not cheap, for Indian standards. Not sky high either, so I was not expecting a 5 star hotel or anything.

Ok, so basic, but let's look at the balcony and view: a thick 'forest' of tree trunks from the garden. Oh my, no sitting on the balcony watching the sun come up or go under. Not reading a book on our private balcony while staring over the ocean.
That set the tone immediately.

Without AC (which I knew when I booked it, but did not hv a clue tt it would be so hot) it was SO SO SO hot in the room!!!

I have to admit, that once you are disappointed (and again and again) you tolerate less and less, while if you are happy with a hotel, you tend to be more forgiving. I try to be as honest and objective as possible here;-)

We went down to the hotelrestaurant, semi open air, no fans, so also steaming hot out there. On the menu was a lot, also there were about 5 dishes with beef and I went for one of those. "No, we do not have the beef. And not that. And not that." Getting grumpy. There was one staff member walking around to serve all the guests. So even the bottle of water took ages to come to the table. Hey, it was warm! "No, we have no chilled drinks....but we can give ice." Double grump. My husband wanted a beer. "No, we don't have alcohol. You have to ask for it an hour in advance and we will get it for you." Triple grump.

Slow service, a lot of no's, and no smiles or anything.

The room was noisy from the street side. And did I mention that it was hot?

Breakfast was basic and limited. The same one guy was waiting tables AND baking eggs in the tiniest possible frying pan.
Ofcourse there was nothing like cappuccino or espresso. But maybe good black coffee? With warm milk? There was a giant pot where a watery light brown liquid came from. I thought it was tea. "No, ma'm, Kerala coffee." Yaiks....

The evening before I had seen a breakfast menu, so I asked to order a la carte. "No, not possible. We DO have breakfast a la carte, but not during breakfast, because then we are too busy with breakfast." Tsssss.....getting pissed of here.

There were some uncomfortable lounge chairs in the garden where u could put a yoga mat on. You could climb the long, long way down...and the more challenging way back up...to the beach. Gorgeous, small and totally empty. Not a bed, nothing. Again you could bring a yoga mat down.

Ah, well, you got the picture by now.

I spoke to the manager that morning, Maria, who turned out to be Dutch, like me. She showed me some other rooms that had a slightly better view and was willing to help us. But with all the other limitations, another room would not have changed that.

It all simply did not feel like a relaxing holiday at all.

The views from the cliff down to beach and sea were stunning, that is for sure.

And there were other guests, more the alternative and ayurvedic ones, I think, who seemed fine with this hotel.

We made a big mistake in booking this hotel. Partly my own fault. This is not our type of hotel.
Having said that: also a simple, cheaper hotel should be service oriented and have enough staff walking around.

So if you are the ayurvedic yoga type who does not mind to pay a lot for a primitive stay in a beautiful environment then this is the place for you. If not, stay away.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Tangobabe1
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

Very good hotel with extremely helpful staff. The buffet breakfat was first class as were the lunches/dinners we had here.Beautiful beach at the bottom of cliff (about 190 steps). You can walk to the main Varkala beach in one direction and a fishing village in the other.This hotel is on south cliff and is much quieter than the north cliff where the majority of restaurants are. Had room with no a/c but fan was good enough.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2013

We booked a loft room with no a/c - by the time we arrived at Oceano we knew this was going to be a nightmare, so we requested a/c and they moved us to the premises 200m away that is still being built (though not at present so not noisy). The room here was stunning with the best view you could imagine of the sea. The staff were brilliantly helpful from start to finish (standing with us at 130am to make sure we got our taxi ok). The beaches are beautiful and secluded, although the tide comes up high so be careful not to get caught out. The only down side was the pool - both the swimming pool and plunge pool have not been maintained so were unusable. But with the sea so close, it was no biggie.

Room Tip: Very much recommend the hotel further up the road from reception and a high up room to make the most...