Room (4/5): Considering the price of rs 700 in a tourist ghetto like varkala the rooms were large, clean and in general very homely. Sure for this price you don't get any amenities like an AC or flatscreen TV but time is better spent in one of the nice cliff side restaurants or on the porch of the hostel exchanging experiences with fellow travelers. The rooms - at least the one we had - has holes above the windows and can therefore not be completely closed thus requiring to sleep under a mosquito net, which might not be everybody's preference
Location (4.5/5): The hostel is located on the north cliff. The restaurant and shopping front right on the cliff side can be accessed by a 5 minute walk. The hostel consists of multiple separates buildings spread on a lushly green property. Next to the main building is a meeting point with comfortable seeting under a roof, a book exchange stand and a bunch of hammocks. It's really beautiful albeit not a 5 star environment but ideal for budget travelers.
Service (3/5): Service is virtually non existent as must be expected with budget accommodation of this kind. Later at night there is no body around to assist or any possibility to get hold of necessities like water. But there is a shop/restaurant only 50 meters down the road that will happily provide you with everything you need - including a cold bottle of kingfisher. The host/owner of the hotel is very friendly and helpful when mentally present.
Overall value (4.5/5): I can wholeheartedly recommend the Shiva Garden guesthouse to the budget traveler looking to spend a couple of days in the tropical paradise of Varkala. Shiva guesthouse provides a cheap, friendly refuge to enjoy the beautiful sunsets on the beach and the very not-indian whole-night booze extravaganza of Varkala.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- SHIVA GARDEN is one among the most reputed home stays in Varkala. Perched near a majestic red cliff overlooking the Arabian Sea, this charming home stay offers many warm hospitable services as well as a fantastic garden view. Here we have a magnificent garden growing many famous Ayurvedic plants and trees, surrounding the resort. Guests are only minutes away from the famous 2000 years old Janardhana Swamy Temple, Kappil beach and Angengo Fort built by the British East India company in the 17th century. Shiva Garden is the perfect base for leisure and you may never forget this in your life. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com and HostelWorld so you can book your Shiva Garden reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shiva Garden Hotel Varkala
- Shiva Garden Varkala, Kerala