“Loved Mummy Bamboo” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mummy Bamboo House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Varkala
Mummy Bamboo House
Ranked #12 of 96 Varkala B&B and Inns
London
“Loved Mummy Bamboo”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2010

I loved Mummy Bamboo. It is a basic family run homestay in a great location just set back from the cliff. The shops, restaurant and beach are less than a minutes walk away. The room that we stayed in was basic but spotless and we opted for aircon which had no time restrictions. I would definitely recommend this as a great place to stay in Varkala as it was great value for money compared to other hotels/B&B's we viewed.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StephB25

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Polish first
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2010

We stayed at Mummy Bamboo House for a week and didn't want to leave! Having stayed in many guesthouses throughout South East Asia and India I can confidently say Mummy Bamboo Guesthouse has some of the warmest service around! Rani and Sudhanan are amazing hosts; always smiling, friendly and so helpful, by the end of the week we felt like part of the family. As others have recommended, get Rani to arrange your pick up at the airport, it made our arrival very convenient and stress free. The rooms were very basic but very clean (great for backpackers like us!) and the hammocks out front are the perfect place to watch life go by. Even though there is no hot water this is a non-issue as the cool showers were the perfect way to beat the Keralan heat.

I highly recommend trying Rani's home cooking, the banana-coconut pancakes were one of the best breakfasts we'd had on our travels and great value. Also, cooking lessons with Rani are a must! She's a great cook! The guesthouse is only 2 minutes from the Cliff so it's an easy commute to the beach and restaurants but the real highlight is getting to know Rani and her wonderful family. I can't say enough good things about my experience at Mummy Bamboo House and can't wait to return.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Cleveland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2010

I recently stayed at Mummy Bamboo House on my first night of a 7 day trip to Kerala and was so taken that I returned for a further 2 nights later in the week. The rooms are simple, but clean and are extremely good value for money. There's no hot water, but given the climate, that wasn't a problem at all. The downstairs rooms have better Mosquito nets than those on the first floor. They have a wooden frame above the bed, which means the mosquito nets fit neatly around the bed. Upstairs the nets hang from a central point above the bed and fall loosely, which makes lying comfortably a little more problematic. Rani is a fantastic host. She's always got a smile and is very helpful. Her cooking is superb and if you stay, you should take advantage of eating there. Not only
is the food great, but it's very cheap too. I took a cooking course whilst I was there and I could recommend that highly. Rani's husband is a taxi driver, which made organising transport very convenient and his rates are very competitive. My only regret is that I didn't arrange for him to pick me up when I arrived at Trivandrum airport!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Paris
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2010

I stayed 4 nights at Mummy Bamboo House and wish i had stayed 10 days more. Rani and her family are exceptional hosts and makes you feel like you're part of the family the minute the tuck-tuck driver drops you off in front of the house.

The rooms are all squeaky clean, the beds are very comfortable and are all covered with a very effective mosquito net. I would highly recommend the upper floor rooms since they're quieter, slightly larger and have better views, although ground floor rooms are perfectly fine and have the advantage of being equipped with hammocks on their front porch.

There is no AC in the rooms (just a large ceiling fan) but room #3 will soon have AC installed so make sure to ask beforehand if that's important for you.

I don't think I could have gotten a better deal for my money (700 rupees per night). Although tucked away in a quiet area, the house is a stone's throw away from the main beach and minutes by foot from all the action.

The highlight during my stay was helping Rani cook an unforgettable meal. You can ask her to have dinner at the house and she'll not only cook you a sumptuous meal, but she'll teach you how to make it! For 100 rupees, it's a bargain!! And don't miss the mouth-watering coconut-banana pancakes she can prepare for you for breakfast !

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2010

This is a fabulous family run guest house, where you are made to feel incredibly welcome. Mummy (Rani) will do everything she can to make your stay as enjoyable and authentic as possible. Her home cooking is sensational and so authentically Kerelan that you'll find it difficult to drag yourself away to eat anywhere else. Rooms are simple, but clean and comfortable; and the guest house is in a nice location set a stones throw from the cliff. My girlfriend and I loved our stay here, which was one of the highlights of our holiday.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2010

We booked just three nights but ended up staying fourteen at Rani and Sudhanan's welcoming homestay. The rooms are all beautifully clean and well kept and it was lovely being able to watch their delightful famoli going about their business.
As said before sample Rani's lovely cooking, you can't get authentic Keralan cooking like it along the cliff top.
We used both taxis and rickshaws arranged by Rani and they were very reliable. We would definitely return to Mummy Bamboo house.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Stockholm
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2010

I and my friends stayed at this wonderful place for 8 days last christmas and we enjoyed every day. Rani and her family is taking care of you from that moment the auto rickshaw drops you of at their place, on the North cliff and just a few 100 meters from the beach. The beach has white sand and is clean and the waves fun for body surfing. The rooms are spacious and clean and there is a mosquito net over the double beds. Like most Indian guesthouses there is a lack of hooks and shelfs. Most rooms have a hammock but if you want to be sure to get one for your holiday make sure to book one room with it. If you stay for more than a few days you can get new linen for your bed. Rani arranged a cooking course for us one day and grandma joined us to the local food market. We learned how to cook delicious Kerala food. We prebooked and had to pay a fixed price but if you arrive in Varkala spontaneously without a reservation you can probably get a better price (IF they have any of their 6 rooms available). Whatever you need they get it for you while you are enjoying the hammock! There is plenty of options for morning and afternoon yoga classes close to Mummy Bamboo House and restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends