“Best Indian Food in Varkala”
Review of Oottupura

Oottupura
Ranked #34 of 97 Restaurants in Varkala
Cuisines: Indian
Description: Part fo Jicky's hotel. Excellent good value vegetarian restaurant
Description: Part fo Jicky's hotel. Excellent good value vegetarian restaurant
Reviewed 2 March 2014

This place may look basic and the table cloths could use a clean but in the 3 weeks I have been in Varkal I can say this by far my favourite place to eat. The Indian food here is the best on the cliff as Oottupura is not focused on having a menu 300 items covering every cuisine possible.

The service is great and the Nepalese waiter is very friendly and always happy to help explain menu items.

There are lots of great restaurants in Varkala but for authentic Indian and value for money this place can't be beaten!

Reviewed 20 February 2014

I stopped by this place to have a quick dinner around 9.30pm. I was one of the last customers at 10pm and after paying the bill I was asked by the waiter not to come again! When I asked why, I was answered that it was because I came too late. I wasn't asked not to come back as late, I really was asked not to come back at all! If a place doesn't want people to stay after a certain hour, then why still accepting people after a certain hour? I had no warning and didnt behave at all like I deserved to be treated like that. My "thank you" and "goodbye" were also unanswered. Used to very polite kerala standarts, this was slightly surprising...

2  Thank aurechie
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We have been coming here as our main breakfast and dinner restaurant for over ten years on holidays. If anything their Indian food is even better than previous years. Dosas and Kerala parathas are fantastic. They make the best Kerala coffee on the north cliff...no frothy European machine nonsense. Their food is Indian food made for Indian tastes and we love it. Huge variety of choice and they can explain it patiently. The prices remain ridiculously cheap. It's quiet, never really busy and a gem for veggies and lovers of genuine Indian food.

2  Thank pensioner090
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed in Varkala for 6 nights and are here frequently. The masala dosa is very good especially in comparison to other ones I have tasted. Tomato utthappam is very good as well! I enjoyed my Indian breakfasts there very much. For dinner, I had baingan bharta (aubergine/eggplant) with Kerala paratha and tomato rice and all of it was delicious. Also I enjoyed getting the pot of lemon ginger honey tea, it is huge! On another occasion I had palak paneer. It came so quickly unlike anything else and was average, a bit soupy. The veg thali is pretty good. All in all highly recommend this restaurant!

1  Thank Slee8
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Right on the Helipad, this unpretentious little restaurant has an extensive vegetarian menu. We can only comment on what we had had - mmm - the masala dosas for breakfast are fabulous, washed down with a plain lassi and a Keralan coffee - what else would you need for breakfast when you are fed up with the obligatory omelette which often the norm nowadays. Very reasonably priced too!

Dosas are freshly made so wait is not very long considering. Friendly, polite service.

1  Thank mcwelly