“Incredible!”
Review of Kaiya House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Varkala
Kaiya House
Ranked #1 of 52 Hotels in Varkala
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I still can't process how amazing it was that we got to stay here. There is a reason why this is number 1 on trip advisor and it'll stay there for as long as Debra stays with Kaiya House. This place is more than just a bed and somewhere to replenish your hunger and tired body. It's a home you never knew you had. The house is extremely unique, the art decorating the walls is enough for a visit in itself. The roof terrace is just incredible, a space that everyone could dream of owning. Debra, the host, is one of the most amazing people i've ever met and I left Kaiya house wanting to plan my next trip to India and including this as one of the first and last destinations of my trip. If you're on here trying to find out if the beds are clean and the food is good then yes, tick to all of the above, the service is second to none and if you need anything then Debra and her staff are more than happy to make you happy. I truly loved this place, the people I met that shared the house, the roof terrace, the food, the room, the cool showers, the distance from the beach and restaurants and the fact that Debra offered conversation, knowledge, enthralling stories or simply peace and access to her interpretation of a home.

There was a festival on during our stay, it was around 20 minutes rickshaw drive away from Kaiya House, Debra offered us her knowledge of the festival and organised transport to and from the festival for everyone under her roof. Had we stayed elsewhere I doubt we would have had this experience, one that was so authentic and easy to attend. There is no hesitation from me or my girlfriend in recommending this place to anyone. Thanks Debra, see you again!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
KaiyaHouse, General Manager at Kaiya House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Love your photo of the moon, magical! I'm also really glad you were able to have extreme festival experience! Hope to see you next season!

Reviewed 25 January 2014

This is a wonderful place to stay in Varkalla. There are beautifully decorated rooms to suit your place of origin or taste; English; African, Chinese. You will surely love the feeling at home. Not far from beach the house encourages your Art talent in moments of relaxing when not at beach.

Room Tip: See above and request the room of your choice of decoration.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your kind words! I do love all the drawings guests do for us, quite fabulous!

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Spent 6 nights at Kaiya House in January 2014 and can really recommend it. Debra is a wonderful person and she really makes Kaiya House what it is. Delightfully furnished "theme" rooms with treasures from around the world welcome the visitor. Debra is a continual source of information (what festivals are on, where is the next ATM, where can I go for a really good massage / meal etc.) and is always there to answer questions, make people feel happy and at home. I hope to be back soon !

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

I hope you're back soon also! Such a pleasure to have you here! Thank you so much!

Reviewed 16 January 2014

Kaiya House was the 1st stop in India for my family and I. With 3 first time travellers to India it was important to get off on a good start. Meeting Debra and staying at Kaiya House was the best start we could ever have wished for. With nice rooms, beautiful India or Western breakfasts and Debra's kind and person centred approach to her residents, we had an amazing time. Debra took any stress out of India with her very helpful and calm ways.

Thanks Debra,
Mike, Rach, John and Carol.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Michael C

It was fab meeting you and you're family. I hope the rest of your trip was a wonderful adventure. Thank you for your lovely words.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

I spent 5 nights at Kayia House over New Year and I couldn't have wished for a better place to start 2014! From the moment I was greeted by Debra she made me feel so welcome and went out of her way to settle me. Throughout my stay she helped me organise the rest of my trip (which was great as I was traveling on my own and had many questions which she patiently answered for me!) and made some great recommendations of other places to visit. I can't recommend Kaiya House highly enough; Debra is an amazing host, the breakfasts fantastic, lovely clean and beautifully decorated rooms, an introductory walk around the area to get your bearings and a fabulous 7K sunrise walk. It was a wonderful place to stay and I can't wait to return!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Ooooo, that was a good New Year! What a fantastic group of people! Hope to see you in London this summer!

Reviewed 14 January 2014

I spent a week in Kaiya House in October 2013 and I do felt this place like my home away from home. It was Debra that made the start of my experience of traveling alone for the first time in India a safe and wonderful time. I found in Debra a wonderful hostess, a guide, an adviser, a friend and, above all, an extraordinary human being that inspired me very much.

Here are the things I loved the most at this place:
- the worm welcoming, the secure environment
- rooms and the entire house also are very clean and wonderful decorated
- breakfast and chai were absolutely delicious
- the rooftop is amazing (I have so many nice memories here: meeting the friends I made in Kaiya House for breakfast, my first bansuri lesson Debra facilitated for me, the afternoon dance Debra spontaneously started and the cool party that followed - almost all the guests joined it; Debra's drawing notebooks; watching the birds and trying to find them in Debra's books)
- the services Debra made for all the guests (she or one of her staff was always there if we needed something). She also arranged different things for me in Varkala - as a traditional dinner in a local house, my bansuri lesson etc.

Thank you Debra for everything and I am looking forward to spend time again in your wonderful Kaiya House!

Cezara, Romania

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

It was wonderful to meet you and again, many thanks for your hand made gift! I just used the red one yesterday! I hope we meet again and thank you so much for your lovely review!

Reviewed 9 January 2014

We spent five nights in Kaiya House and it was brilliant. We stayed in two of the rooms, which were spotless and exquisitely furnished with artwork and furnishings from Debra's travels around the world. Breakfast was great, with opportunity to choose between a daily changing Indian meal and various western options. Debra is the best host you could ever ask for. We were astonished that she gives every new guest a personal orientation walk around the temple junction and down to the cliffs. We are both well travelled and have never experienced this anywhere before. It was so helpful. Debra pointed out her favourite eating and drinking spots and the best shopping opportunities. We felt more at home at Kaiya House than almost anywhere else we've stayed. We regularly hung out on the roof with Debra and the other guests, had a few beers (or jasmine tea!), played the hilarious card game, listened to stories of Debra's colourful life, and contributed to the drawings in the guest book. Her staff are also very sweet. One of them runs a budding fresh juice business for guests.

Debra was also incredibly helpful in arranging trips. She was fully booked on one night during the period we wanted to stay and offered to come up with a solution so we could still stay at Kaiya House. Debra arranged for us to spend a night at Vijeesh's homestay on Munroe Island and take a canoe tour round the back waters. This was a great experience. Debra also arranged for us to see the temple elephants and has plenty of information on other activities and services in Varkala and around.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

That card game with that group was a hoot! What a wonderful collection of personalities to begin the season! Thank you and happy adventures!