“Fantastic Value, wonderful Hostess in a beautiful location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Kaiya House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Varkala
Kaiya House
Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Varkala
Newark,Delaware
“Fantastic Value, wonderful Hostess in a beautiful location”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We stayed here because it was rated number 1 and the price was right. Debra the hostess goes out of her way to make you comfortable! She gives you a walking tour of the area so you feel good about venturing out on your own. There's no hot water, she offered to bring us a pot but after seeing how hard she works and how good she was to us I didn't have the heart to ask for that. We took a room without A/C but it was fine. Our room and the whole place was immaculate. The other guests were just lovely too. We enjoyed each others company up on her terrace where you can sit and look at the palm trees. What could be better than this in Kerala! Oh yeah and a wonderful breakfast was included up on the terrace.

Room Tip: Every room is good. Don't stay anywhere else!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank meeta4
KaiyaHouse, General Manager at Kaiya House, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Aw, thanks so much and I hope you'll return one day! Next time do ask for hot water if you want, not a problem. It's great that we're still in touch and maybe next time some singing on the roof?

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 February 2014

This property is a bit removed from the action along the clifftops and is therefore a quieter place to stay despite being on a main road. Debra is an expert host, she kindly arranged a light meal for us on arrival and as promised, the local specialties for breakfasts were outstanding. The rooms are very comfortable and the open air sitting room on the rooftop is very enjoyable. The decor in this house has lots of artsy touches - paintings, sculpture, photographs and a new mural add to the artists' colony atmosphere.
We thoroughly enjoyed our short stay and greatly appreciated the orientation walk and the extended early morning walk Debra lead.

Room Tip: All rooms are great - each having its own special decor.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank GregP9255
Happy the 4 of you had a good time. It was lovely to meet you and I enjoyed our conversations about art and all sorts. Happy future travels!
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I still can't process how amazing it was that we got to stay here. There is a reason why this is number 1 on trip advisor and it'll stay there for as long as Debra stays with Kaiya House. This place is more than just a bed and somewhere to replenish your hunger and tired body. It's a home you never knew you had. The house is extremely unique, the art decorating the walls is enough for a visit in itself. The roof terrace is just incredible, a space that everyone could dream of owning. Debra, the host, is one of the most amazing people i've ever met and I left Kaiya house wanting to plan my next trip to India and including this as one of the first and last destinations of my trip. If you're on here trying to find out if the beds are clean and the food is good then yes, tick to all of the above, the service is second to none and if you need anything then Debra and her staff are more than happy to make you happy. I truly loved this place, the people I met that shared the house, the roof terrace, the food, the room, the cool showers, the distance from the beach and restaurants and the fact that Debra offered conversation, knowledge, enthralling stories or simply peace and access to her interpretation of a home.

There was a festival on during our stay, it was around 20 minutes rickshaw drive away from Kaiya House, Debra offered us her knowledge of the festival and organised transport to and from the festival for everyone under her roof. Had we stayed elsewhere I doubt we would have had this experience, one that was so authentic and easy to attend. There is no hesitation from me or my girlfriend in recommending this place to anyone. Thanks Debra, see you again!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Love your photo of the moon, magical! I'm also really glad you were able to have extreme festival experience! Hope to see you next season!
Kochi (Cochin), India
Reviewed 25 January 2014

This is a wonderful place to stay in Varkalla. There are beautifully decorated rooms to suit your place of origin or taste; English; African, Chinese. You will surely love the feeling at home. Not far from beach the house encourages your Art talent in moments of relaxing when not at beach.

Room Tip: See above and request the room of your choice of decoration.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your kind words! I do love all the drawings guests do for us, quite fabulous!
Verden (Aller), Germany
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Spent 6 nights at Kaiya House in January 2014 and can really recommend it. Debra is a wonderful person and she really makes Kaiya House what it is. Delightfully furnished "theme" rooms with treasures from around the world welcome the visitor. Debra is a continual source of information (what festivals are on, where is the next ATM, where can I go for a really good massage / meal etc.) and is always there to answer questions, make people feel happy and at home. I hope to be back soon !

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
I hope you're back soon also! Such a pleasure to have you here! Thank you so much!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Kaiya House was the 1st stop in India for my family and I. With 3 first time travellers to India it was important to get off on a good start. Meeting Debra and staying at Kaiya House was the best start we could ever have wished for. With nice rooms, beautiful India or Western breakfasts and Debra's kind and person centred approach to her residents, we had an amazing time. Debra took any stress out of India with her very helpful and calm ways.

Thanks Debra,
Mike, Rach, John and Carol.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Michael C
It was fab meeting you and you're family. I hope the rest of your trip was a wonderful adventure. Thank you for your lovely words.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I spent 5 nights at Kayia House over New Year and I couldn't have wished for a better place to start 2014! From the moment I was greeted by Debra she made me feel so welcome and went out of her way to settle me. Throughout my stay she helped me organise the rest of my trip (which was great as I was traveling on my own and had many questions which she patiently answered for me!) and made some great recommendations of other places to visit. I can't recommend Kaiya House highly enough; Debra is an amazing host, the breakfasts fantastic, lovely clean and beautifully decorated rooms, an introductory walk around the area to get your bearings and a fabulous 7K sunrise walk. It was a wonderful place to stay and I can't wait to return!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Ooooo, that was a good New Year! What a fantastic group of people! Hope to see you in London this summer!