“2 nights are not enough”
Review of Kaiya House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Varkala
Kaiya House
Ranked #1 of 52 Hotels in Varkala
Massat, France
“2 nights are not enough”
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Kaiya house has very good ratings because it deserves them. Deborah is exceptional in the time she has for all her guests. Sorting transport , advising on restaurants etc.. The rooms are lovely and comfortable.
If we return to India then we will certainly try and spend more time with Deborah.
Thanks to Deborah and the team for making us so welcome

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
KaiyaHouse, General Manager at Kaiya House, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Thank you so much and yes, 2 nights is short...maybe longer next time! Hope to see you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I spent three nights at Kaiya House and had such a good experience. Deborah was beyond accommodating. I had to do video calls to the US for work for two of the nights I was there and she went well out of her way to make sure the internet connection was working, to set me up in a comfortable space with a table, and to ensure that everything went smoothly. This is in addition to the tea and lovely snacks I was brought. The decoration and design of Kaiya House is so tasteful and the rooftop is heavenly. It was so peaceful and relaxing and Deborah is such a kind, giving and welcoming person. When an elephant walked by on the street, she ran up to find me so that I could see the elephant walk down the steps nearby (an amazing sight). The walk through town with her was lovely as well. Everything about my stay was wonderful and I highly recommend Kaiya House to others who are visiting. Thank you, Deborah, for everything!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
My pleasure! It was lovely to meet you and I hope our paths will cross again! So glad the Internet was working, in Kerala nothing is for sure! Thank you for your kind words!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Stayed for four nights at Kaiya House, a truly unforgettable experience.

Debra offers a wonderful welcome - friendly, helpful and a great introduction to Varkala.

The house is beautiful. Calm, peaceful and filled with stunning works of art.

The breakfasts are delicious, whether going for one of the local Keralan cuisine or sticking to the Western choice.

The rooftop is a great space, has an energy that is conducive to relaxation and peace. (Exactly what you need when traveling in India!)

Do make use of Debra's clifftop hike if you get chance, it's a great way to see some beautiful countryside.

We would definitely stay here again!

Thanks Debra,

Paul & Sophie.
@thisisjukebox

2 Thank thisisjukebox
Thank you so much and I so hope you come back! It was great to meet you and your family!
Tring, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Debra offers so much more than just clean, attractive rooms. She really enjoys looking after her guests and making sure that they have a pleasant and safe visit to Varkala Beach. She was the perfect hostess and created a very friendly and happy atmosphere in her Guest House. Thank you Debra so much for a truly memorable stay

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
My pleasure. Thank you so much for staying with us and your kind words. I hope we meet again.
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Thanks for reading this review, this is based on a three nights stay that my wife and I made on the basis of the reviews of this website.

All communications with Kaiya House, Debra were good and prompt and helped us to book our reservation and flights to TRV, transfers arranged. Slight niggle was that I did pass communication direct to the guest house a few days before arrival as I was aware that there were 'dry days' in resort and that a cool beer or a GnT were not that accessible and this was a down fall as upon arrival a cool beer or an iced drink would have been a treat. So Debra did direct that I pass my request to her nominated driver - he did not deliver.

The prices quoted initially were fixed and a couple of mails before arrival Debra stated that she had forgotten the ten percent tax - consider this on quotation.

Met with the initial house rule of shoes off 'only if you please' was a little shocker - especially having had my feet in walking shoes for twelve hours was a little embarrassing for me when asked to remove them. Anyway - hospitality from Debra we could not fault and after dropping our hand luggage we went to the top roof terrace for the house rule brief - one which I can understand but was a little up front after the journey we had taken. Never the less biting our tongues we understood the rules!

Three night I feel was enough for what we wanted and 'yes' every step of the way from meet and greet, breakfast, check out and ensuring our stay was comfortable was dealt with by Debra.

Any longer a stay we may have asked for a change in bathroom linen as the shower sheets were a little musty. Confirming as per the earlier review that yes there is a cold shower and after the initial shocker - it does become quite pleasant!

Whilst the house has stricter rules than some I feel that perhaps we could have got off to a better start if not had this from the immediate thirty minutes we had arrived. The walk around resort was useful and we did not undertake the early morning rise walk as we had already had three early starts.

Kaiya House was ideally located and as tripadvisor is a place for honest reviews - this is the reasoning we have posted a four and not a five.

Thanks for reading our review

1 Thank F1RNY
Thank you so much for taking the time to do a review for us. Your comments are appreciated and it's always a good thing to look at the full picture and any aspects that can be improved. Happy future travels.
Cambridge
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Kaiya house advertises itself as having 'rooms with a difference' but it is so much more than this.
Particular highlights stand out from Debra's hosting;
- her orientation walk was incredibly useful and informative. For example I am not much good at shopping, but following Debra's suggestions, I developed a clear sense of what I did want and where to get it
- the 7 km dawn walk which she offers is unmissable with stunning beaches and an intimate view of fishermen at work
- the tasteful decor and eclectic mix of beautiful things
- unending thoughtfulness

Room Tip: Consider the air con rooms if you are worried about the heat