“Another Christmas At Woodhouse Review”

and 1 more site!
WoodHouse Beach Resort
Ranked #19 of 52 Hotels in Varkala
London
“Another Christmas At Woodhouse Review”
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Varkala at Christmas - everywhere is full. We tried booking a place with a pool about 3 months in advance - no joy. We did manage to get rooms here though. And I'm so glad we did.

We travelled in a group of 8 (4 adults 4 kids) from Kottayam by train. That was a great experience. At the station a couple rickshaws took us to the Woodhouse for 80RS.

Initially we were disappointed - the rooms were small, the kids had mattresses on the floor and there wasn't much free space. After a couple of days these issues were but a memory - you don't spend much time in the room at Varkala. Not with the endless variety of cafes and bars tempting you in all along the cliff top.

In fact the disappointment was replaced with relief (that we were not right in the thick of the cliff action) and gratitude that we had, without a doubt, the friendliest and most helpful bunch of guys running the place you could possibly hope for. From the manager down each and every one of the staff were fantastic and treated us & the kids like royalty!

It was my birthday when I was there and they even got me a couple of t-shirts as a present.

Breakfast here was a treat - the restaurant is split between a top floor balcony and a beachside veranda. The latter was perfect for breakfast.

A word about Varkala & locations. This place is the last hotel in the strip between the main beach and "Black Beach". We spent most of our time at black beach as it was more accessible and quieter - however at high tide it all but disappears. The hotel is about 15 minutes walk to the main beach along the (well travelled) cliff path. In between the hotel & the main beach is an endless array of shops, restaurants, hotels, bars and Ayurvedic centers. The sea can be quite rough, but the lifeguards are excellent.The whole atmosphere at Varkala is laid back and very pleasant. The seafood is caught & displayed fresh every day - Marlin, butterfish, sharkfish, prawns, lobster, crayfish, tuna, snapper, a real treat. I have to recommend the Clafouti - we had their seafood platter on Christmas day and it was superb. Marlin tikka, prawns, butterfish, calimari, mussels. I wish I was still there!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Robotfish

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We’ve just returned from spending Christmas at Woodhouse. We had a lovely time and this place has a number of good points. The location is excellent, the dining area overlooks the sea, the people that work here are very friendly and helpful. In particular Ashok and Ijeet are absolute stars, nothing was too much trouble. It is in a quiet area of the cliffs, although there was new accommodation being constructed next door, which meant noise started about 09:00, but this is temporary.

We stayed in one of the cottages and the pictures on their web-site are accurate. Cleaning takes place as often as you like, and it is great place to relax. Watch out for the mongoose that stroll by at breakfast, and if you’re lucky enough as we were, a pod of dolphins in the sea. We would recommend this place to friends and family.

One footnote is that having stayed in India before at numerous places, I would say that for the first-timer, do not expect the absolute pristine accommodation you may get in the West. If you want that then go to a four or five star place, but these can be soulless.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Really good place to stay. It's at the North end of the North Cliff, just past the busy section with all the restuarants and shops. Great service, really friendly staff, amazing dining area down by the sea that is secluded from the busier areas, food was excellent, fresh seafood and fish every evening. Would strongly recommend to anyone staying at Varkala Beach.

Room Tip: We stayed in a cottage rather than the main hotel. I don't know what the hotel rooms were like b...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris M
London
Reviewed 7 November 2011

This was a fab place to stay and we loved the resort of Varkala in general. Woodhouse was perhaps slightly pricier than it should have been but we were able to negotiate a discount given the hot water and air con didn't work.

We stayed in a heritage cottage and as the photos show they are really pretty. We also liked the location, which offered a fab view of the the sea and is the closest hotel/resort to the quieter Varkala beach, which we preferred to the main one (a 10 minute walk away).

However, our favourite bit about this place was Asmit from Nepal (sp?), the guy who served us breakfast every morning. We never got to say goodbye but he totally made our trip!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Josie R
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Went to Varkala, Kerela, India, mid October 20ll and stayed at the Woodhouse Beach Resort for six days and it was a great experience. All the staff, especially the manager, were very helpful and friendly. It is very near to the beach, we rented one of their rooms, but they also have cottages available which are almost on the beach. The restaurant is right on the cliff path, up on the first floor, which gives an excellent view of the beach and the waves, and you can see the sun going down from here, if you want to see the sunset it is best to watch from the beach. The manager could not be nicer, and on our last day he let us stay on a couple of hours, instead of the usual being chucked out at noon - this was so helpful as we were able to swim and then have a shower and change. The restaurant has a small area for dining, right on the rocks

Room Tip: Cottages are nearer the sea than the hotel
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Melissa W
Cambridge
Reviewed 23 October 2011

I haven't stayed at WoodHouse, as I only discovered it on my last day in Varkala, and it wasn't worth the move then, but I thought it was absolutely fabulous! It is right at the end of the path along the sea front walking to the right as you face the sea before you leave to walk over to Odayam (though you can get there by car too, around the back of the hotels). I had a massala chai on the restaurant veranda overlooking the sea, and just loved watching the sea eagles (?) soaring and diving into the waves. A very friendly member of staff showed me the bungalows and the main hotel block, including one of the rooms there, and I regretted not having discovered the place earlier. I have scored (except for sleep quality, as I can't judge that) on the basis of what I saw, and only didn't put excellent because I didn't stay there, but I fully expect it would have been if I had. Definitely check this one out before making up your mind where to stay.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Jeannet56
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2011

What a wonderful place. My daughter and I had the small cottage at the front nearest the sea. Having breakfast on the balcony overlooking the sea was an an amazing experience. The staff could not be nicer, nor more helpful. They went out of their way to please us. We were genuinely sad to leave and they made my first visit to Kerala unforgettable and I will definitely be returning. I definitely reccommend that you stay here!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family