“A cherished experience”

WoodHouse Beach Resort
Ranked #19 of 52 Hotels in Varkala
Reviewed 23 February 2014

This hotel was suggested by my travel agent. I accepted their suggestion and do not regret it a bit. A thouroughly anjoyable quiet place, the hotel has most of the amenities, though some of them do not work and you have to bring it to the notice of the management. The hotel has both brick and morter structure as well as wooden huts. Sea can be glimopled from all the rooms. Staff are jovial and helpful.
THe hotel has a fantastic restuarant, right on the sea. the place is managed by on Mr. Lama from Far away Hills of Darjeeling. I do not know, how did he land up there. His Italian preparations are real good and portions are really huge. The only problem is lack of room service.
If one is not too finnicky, I would recommend the place. Beware, however of the pastering Yoga instructors, who are a nuisence.
The hotel opposite has a beautiful swimming pool and it can be shared by WSoodhouse boarders at no extra charge.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Cocroaches in your room. Dysfunctioning ac. No cleaning. No toiletpaper. Noise in the night. And high-end prices. Don't go here. You get exploited. The huts are much too close to each other. No privacy.
No goodies? Yes, the endless toar of the arabian dea. But that's gods gift. That's free.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank HeinvMeeteren
Reviewed 20 January 2014

This is to warn people when booking with these guys. We made a reservation via email (from abroad) and kept calling, emailing etc and were told our reservation was confirmed - yet we still wanted to pay our deposit - but then they disappeared and finally a month or so later finally got back to us saying the rooms were now taken. This was during peak season over New Years eve. They basically screwed us royally. Horrid. If you're staying here, be careful.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank malinic
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

I booked to stay here for a week over the Christmas break. The location is good, very peaceful and the heritage cottage I stayed in was clean. There were a few problems though: the bed was very hard, the windows have no screens or bars so you can't keep them open at night and it's almost impossible to find someone at reception. The breakfast place is ideal but the hotel contributes only 100 rupees per person which I think is a bit ridiculous given how much I paid to stay there. All in all, although it's nice it's simply not worth the money you pay, so I wouldn't recommend it to people.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Spent 9 days here over new years and thoroughly enjoyed our time. Rooms are basic but clean and comfortable. We stayed in a cottage and had no complaints. The location is perfect, 2 mins walk from small beach and only 10 mins along the cliff tops to the larger beach. We ate at the restaurant several times and had no complaints. The waiters were all friendly but sometimes a little too relaxed but it wasnt a major issue. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2014

The website pictures and reviews paint a much better picture than it really is. As this is a negative review, I will try to explain my dissatisfaction thoroughly so you can make your own judgement to spend your hard-earned money on Woodhouse Beach Resort.

To give you perspective, I am ex-US Army and my wife is 7 months pregnant, but we have been living abroad since 2002 and average 5 vacations a year. We are seasoned travelers and in the past few years have been finding gems. For this, our last trip alone before we are parents, we were both willing to accept semi-rustic as long as it had a nice beach. A clean, secluded beach was our top priority. The next criteria we considered was distance from a major airport that was within a direct flight from the Middle East.

Varkala was perfect.

Woodhouse seemed perfect. This property seems charming online, but beware!

I booked for 6 nights 7 days during Christmas break, paid my half 13,000 INR, (209USD) and went off to God's Own Country.
Due to poor service, rock hard bed, primitive bathroom, no amenities and a slimy massage service we checked out at 6pm on our second day. Even with the following unsatisfactory items I have above, and telling Anoop about them 1-on-1 in his office, I did not receive any type of compensation. Our room he re-rented out during 2 of the nights I had booked because I walked by and saw tourists locking the door to the cabin. I sat down with him in his office the day before I left Varkala and asked politely if he thought it best that he kept all the money I gave him despite us checking out and him re-renting the room. He had no moral problems with keeping my money despite us leaving 5 days early and getting far less than expected. That is my biggest complaint. I will explain the others in detail.

Poor service and hard bed - We asked politely if we could get a second mattress three times (hours apart) and were told three times "yes, we can get you another", by three different staff, (1 being Anoop) No show. The "bed" we did have was two singles pushed together, plywood boxspring, topped with a 5cm pad on it. I like a firm mattress, this was hard. Keep in mind I have slept on cots for extended months during my life - I could not let my wife sleep on this another night. Nothing resort about it.

The bathroom comes with all your basic Asian perks; a bucket, a hole, a toilet, thin screen that baby mosquitoes can readily make it through, a shower head. I have handled it before, and we expected it somewhat, but the staff did not service our room while we were out all day- we returned at 6 pm. We had our room serviced 0 times in 28 hours.

Hotel tip - there is no barrier for the shower water, it can be fixed with a row of bricks + some easy tile work. Nobody enjoys sitting on the john with old shower water under your feet.

There was no WI-fi for Woodhouse while we were there, it was under construction. Sam's restaurant had WI-fi. There was a swimming pool Anoop told us about on the second day that we could use because it was the "same property". It was across the street from Woodhouse.(The cheap room over there is 1500 INR by the way.)

The massage service was slimy. By that I mean the "Dr" acted like a car salesman when we walked in and asked for head and neck massage together. We always do the cheapest massage first at a resort to get a feel of their quality vs. price. What me and my wife had after that was a head scrubbing. Really, really, really vigorous direct knuckle rubbing on my scalp with some sandalwood oil for 20 mins, then 10 mins of hard rubbing directly on my collarbone. They don't face you toward the beautiful view, but instead sideways out at a dirty wall. They put on terrible music that does not set the mood. Afterwards I got shuttled off, no now sit for a while and enjoy the sensation stuff. We got offered an alcoholic cocktail afterwards in a mixer shaker. My wife is 7 months and declined the hard liquor....

All in all pretty terrible stay. Worst in 10 years I would say. Once you book Woodhouse, and stay for a night or two, walk up the boardwalk to Hill View Resort and check prices, wifi, two room services per day, softer mattresses, a full bathtub and hot water, and free taxi ride to the nearest atm - all for 1000 INR less a night. We did.

Room Tip: We had the cottage closest to the beach. The main hotel faces an empty lot with trash, a few sparse...