“An oasis of calm”
Review of Palm Tree Heritage

Palm Tree Heritage
Ranked #2 of 52 Hotels in Varkala
Reviewed 27 April 2014

From the moment my fiance and I arrived at Palm Tree Heritage we were just blown away. Babu's team greeted us like long lost friends and had us sat sipping a cooling drink before you could blink an eye. When we were ready they showed us the room we'd booked and then also one of the lovely bungalows that was free due to a late cancellation. Both were amazing, clean and beautifully fitted out. We opted to upgrade to the bungalow so that we could sit on our own porch and look out over the sea.
I don't think I've ever felt so relaxed in my whole life. The location is amazing, the food lovely and the staff attentive and helpful without being intrusive.
I am a regular business visitor to India so have stayed in many fine hotels but this place is by far the nicest I've ever been to and the next time I'm in India I'll be back even if for the weekend.
This was my girlfriend's first trip to India and we had got engaged the day before - despite staying in a five star hotel for the start of our trip she completely fell in love with Palm Tree and we would both love to return asap as it made our celebrations perfect and very romantic.
Each morning we watched the local fishermen pull their nets up on the beach and every evening we ate dinner by candle light on the same beach. Just magical.
If you're looking for somewhere to relax and let the stresses of modern life drift away, this is the place for you.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Phil W
77babu, Owner at Palm Tree Heritage, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2015

Hope everything is ok.

Thank you so much for the beautiful review. Its help us with the business a lot. We will wait for the next opportunity look after you and your family. Please visit us again and enjoy our little paradise.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We really enjoyed our stay here. The staff were wonderful and the room we had spacious and cool. The food was some of the best we had on our India trip and the setting the best in the area we would say. All round excellent. I would have happily spent a week here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 22 April 2014

I don't know where to begin with this review, or how I could possibly do this place justice. I stayed here with a friend for 2 weeks April 2014 and was blown away by the place and the fabulous people who work here. The accommodation is a really high standard - both my friend and I have traveled around a lot together and both commented that this was luxury in comparison! All the rooms are decorating to a high standard and are beautifully presented and clean.
The staff are so attentive and so accommodating. There was nothing that they wouldn't do for you - if they spotted you on your balcony at 7am, a waiter would run over with a coffee for you so you could drink your coffee watching the local fishermen haul in their nets...thoroughly spoilt.
The restaurant is never empty and people come from other villas to eat here; the food is delicious and very cheap - snapper in banana leaf is a must!
The owner, Babu, was an unbelivable host - from organising transfers, houseboat trips, homestays, even a birthday cake for me - nothing was too much trouble and always done with a smile.
Was genuinely sad to leave.
I cannot recommend this place enough - fantastic food, fantastic room and a beautiful location; truly paradise. I will absolutely be coming back here...book, book, book!

Room Tip: Attached are the Palm Tree Cottages which we stayed in for the second half of our holiday; so lovely...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kate C

Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I planned to stay 2 nights at the Palm Tree Heritage, however we ended up there for 1 week!

We cannot speak highly enough of all the wonderful, helpful and smiling staff who made our time there so memorable.

We stayed in the annex, the room was fantastic value and overlooked the sea. The room was clean, bright and serviced everyday.

The food was simply excellent, there is no other place in varkala that you can sit on the beach and have the most wonderful meal in all of India!

Thanks to everyone at the Bamboo Heritage for making our trip relaxing and perfect in very way. We will definitely return here again and I would rate this No1 hotel and restaurant in Varkala, Kerala!

Stayed: April 2014

Reviewed 21 April 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here on our last leg of our India travels and what a way to end it! Really relaxing place.

Babu also organised our house boat in Allepey and a room in Kochin on route. And also cars throughout our time there... So many thanks to Bany and the team for that!

Having walked up and down the Varkalla coast, this is by far the best place with access to the beach!!

We managed to upgrade to a Bungalow which was superb! Waking up to the waves and sea views is a must!

However, if you are not a dog person, I would forewarn you now that there are many street dogs along the resort. It is also a little unnerving watching the fisherman throw sticks AT the dogs!

The food at the resort is amazing... everything that we had was wonderful and the staff were great fun.

If you are in Kerala, this place is a must... as is the Bungalow!

Room Tip: Get a bungalow with sea views
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2014

This was our first stop in Kerala before doing a houseboat trip with River Escapes, a stay at Punnamada resorts in Alleppey , and then finishing at Niraamaya retreats near Kovalam. (Reviewed separately)

This was such a lovely place to stay - we did 5 nights but could have done a lot longer. Babu and his team are incredibly helpful and provide wonderful service. We upgraded to one of the beach cottages and it is well worth it. Sitting on the porch next to the sea and watching the fishermen bring in the early morning catch is magical.

It's got a great location away from the main cliff at Varkala but the guys will call you a Rickshaw which is next to nothing. The food is ok nothing to write home about - we ate out 4 night out of 5.

As I tip if you are staying here and doing a houseboat it's best to book with Babu he can get a real discount. I had booked in advance and got severely overcharged. The team also arranged an airport pickup and onward trip to Alleppey.

Superb and highly recommended

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2014

My wife and I can't thank Babu and his friendly staff enough for bending over backwards and making our stay so enjoyable at the Palm Tree Heritage in India.
We initially booked the first 4 nights, and we were going to "wing it" for the rest of our trip in Kerala; However with Babu's wealth of knowledge and experience of Kerala he made some great suggestions, and at a highly competitive price. So from there Agi drove my wife and I up to Munnar (Tea plantations/Elephants), then we did a house boat tour for one night (which was AMAZING!), and we finished back at the Palm Tree Heritage for our final night, which is definitely our favourite place in India! We will definitely be back!
There were plenty of highlights, but for me personally it was riding the old Royal Enfield motorcycle around Varkala, and seeing up and down the coast.

Room Tip: Talk to Babu directly. We started in a cheaper room (which was still nice), but upgraded as the pric...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple