“Perfect Stay”

Ranked #3 of 52 Hotels in Varkala
Coimbatore, India
“Perfect Stay”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We had the pleasure of staying here for 2 nights (15 and 16 May, 2014), and it was the best experience. We had been in Kerala for a week and starved of good food literaly, and when we ordered our lunch at this hotel..it really felt like home. Taste of the food was just perfect and the ambience of the hotel..with an enormous pool and a walk out path to the beach had the right combination of a beach resort. The GM Mr.Khanna and his team went out of their way to make our stay utmost comfortable. Double worth the money..All along, i associated Taj with luxury, hence the high cost..but after totalling up my expense for a 7 night trip..Gateway hotel provided me the perfect combination of money and its worth..We have decided to stay only at the Taj henceforth on..as the cost of staying in any other overpriced 3 or 4 star resorts is invariably the same as the Taj when we work out the expenses at the end of the trip on per night basis. But here i got double worth for my money..satisfaction guaranteed..A wonderful place with perfect location and mouth watering food...

Room Tip: All the rooms have good views..but choose their deluxe ones facing the swimming pool.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Gateway V, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Janardhanapuram Varkala, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your valuable time for updating your experience on Trip Advisor. We are overwhelmed to read your kind words of appreciation for our product and service.

We are happy to note your culinary experience with our chefs in the kitchen and our package offer being more value for money.

It is our constant endeavour to provide our guests with the highest level of comfort and to make their stay truly memorable. Appreciation such as yours increases our motivation to achieve the expectations that our guests have of us.

We are grateful for your recommendation and do hope you will continue to provide us with more opportunities to be of service.

Kind regards
Suresh Khanna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights in april. My first stay at Taj gateway hotel.

Good things -
The entrance and the reception is quite a spectacle..the check in was smooth and was accompanied to the room and settled down quite well. We are so happy with the standard room, the architecture of the room is awesome, nice balcony.Excellent swimming pool view.Food was awesome and enjoyed each bite. The hotel is very close to beach thats the great thing about this hotel.
Reception was good and gave me a nice candle as a present.

Not so happy stuff -
I went with lot of expectation but Gateway hotel fails to meet expectation. First day i stayed in Deluxe room. The view was excellent but the deluxe room was not so great, i was slightly disappointed and faced couple of issues. Overall my stay in deluxe room not so happy. They are planning to renovate deluxe room. Its better to stay in deluxe room after the renovation(renovation will complete by sep 2014). After couple of complaints they moved to standard room and it was recently renovated. Staffs are good but still there is space for improvement.

Overall They need to pay attention to the details.

Room Tip: Do not stay in deluxe room till sep 2014 cos it is undergoing renovation. Pool view rooms or standar...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Gateway V, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Janardhanapuram Varkala, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your time to review us on Trip Advisor.. Your feedback is of utmost importance to us . We are happy to note your positive comments on our product, standard room ,food ,view and the overall services.

We have noted your feedback on the suite and regret the inconvenience . You may kindly note that the upgradation is underway and will be a finer product in the weeks to come.

We thank you once again as we look forward to welcoming you back to Varkala and to our hotel.

Best regards
Mumbai
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Planned to celebrate our 10th Wedding Anniversary.My first experience with Taj.They made my day.All the staff are highly professional and well te of my kidsrained.They take care of everything.Housekeeping guys even decorated my room for celebrating anniversary which I didn't asked for. seeing this my children were asking to come again for their B'thdays.They even prepared a small cake for the occassion.I only mentioned the occsaion to Senior Manager Suresh Khanna about my purpose of visit and he made sure everything went well.You can see that guy in & around the whole day taking care of everything. Sajimon ,Vaishakh ,Bijoy(chef) & team in kitchen took special care of my kids by giving special cakes/icecream etc.Nice food.
Team ( Arun,Hemesh etc ) in the lobby made sure we enjoyed everybit of our stay.Swimmimg pool was fabulous.Kids enjoyed it.Kids play area requires improvement.They have only old seesaw/swing. Cycles are old and in repairable condition.Gym may be established.
Stayed for 2 days but enjoyed every minute.nice sleep quality may be because of good matteress..Thumbs up to all the staff for the their collective work.Ideal for old couple,Newly weds for honeymoon,families with small kids,single travellers,north indians ,foreigners etc...........

Room Tip: Sea facing room will be best (Room No.210)
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Gateway V, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Janardhanapuram Varkala, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write about The Gateway Hotel , Varkala . We are delighted that you enjoyed staying at the hotel and your wedding anniversary celebrations was memorable .The team and their little touches in delighting the guests have come beyond all our guests expectations and has set us apart from the rest of the hotels.

Your positive sentiments have been shared with the team. I am sure this will go a long way to motivate them further to keep up the high levels of guest services.

We look forward to your next visit with us and thank you again for writing about us

Kind Regards
Gwalior
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Commencing our journey from Zuri Kumarakom to Varkala, we checked-in this property. The Gateway Hotel is actually a Taj Property under Gateway Hotel Branding.

The property is situated 1.5 km away from the Papanasam Beach on a cliff. The property is very beautiful. Again we got the adjoining rooms. The rooms are comfortable and recently re-furnished with modern facilities.

The choice of food was very good and they had all type of cuisines. The staff was very courteous made sure we did face any problem, specially the housekeeping staff, who made sure our rooms were clean , after the beach visit, and smelling fresh with flowers.

Must recommended...

Room Tip: There are two types Garden View & Sea View, Choose your preference Before Booking, I chose Sea V...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank pratikr
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Taj Varkala was my first Taj experience. The property is located very close to the Varkala beach. The stay was very comfortable and enjoyable for us. Dealing with the Taj staff was indeed a very good experience. When the F&B Manager realized that we were keen on trying out Kerala delicacies, he and the chef went out of their way in serving dishes that were not even listed on the menu. The facilities and upkeep of this Taj property is also excellent. Kerala cuisine includes a jackfruit pickle and we could not find it in the market in Varkala. The highlight of our stay was the fact that when we were checking out, the chef handed us a jar of jackfruit pickle that he'd prepared fresh for us. In all, an unforgettable stay.

The Taj experience left a lasting impression on me. While checking out I booked two rooms for my parent and in-laws to gift them a vacation at the same property. The Taj folks took such good care of my parents and in-laws and made their stay so comfortable that I wrote a personal thank you note to the senior management.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Gateway V, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Janardhanapuram Varkala, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Guest,

It was indeed a pleasure to have had you and family stay with us and thank you for your valuable time to write about us.

We are glad that you liked the hotel and our services. The little touches that the team does go a long way to delight our guests, your feedback has just reassured us of this fact. It is our endeavour to provide our guest with the highest level of comfort and to make their stay memorable and your appreciation is indeed rewarding.

I thank you once again for this wonderful review of our hotel and look forward to the delight of having more opportunities to be of service to you

Best Regards
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed for only 1 day here and really had a great experience.Very comfortable Bed!! Room, pool, service, breakfast - everything was great!! Sea is in a walking diatance through garden. Overall, I highly recommend!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Gateway V, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Janardhanapuram Varkala, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Guest

We are glad to know that you have had an excellent experience with us at the Gateway Varkala .
While we thank you for those kind words of appreciation on the hotel and service we look forward for the opportunity to be of service to you on your future visits.

Best regards from all of us ,
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 April 2014

After an unfortunate incident during my first stay, I decided to give this hotel another chance as it is the only real nice hotel in the area. The General Manager went out of his way to make sure my father and I had a nice stay, and I can say it was a much better experience the second (and third) time back. The service has been great, and I appreciate a hotel that actually takes customer feedback into consideration.

Rooms are very comfortable, all with a small outdoor patio / or balcony. The pool is great, and perfect for relaxing if you need a break from the beach. Although I would recommend getting out there early, as there is limited pool side seating. The location is a bit further than other places, but the beach is walk-able and the North Cliff is only a 3 min Tuk Tuk ride. Overall, I highly recommend!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest

It was our pleasure to have had you and your father stay with us and thank you for patronizing the Taj. We are glad to hear the positive feedback on the hotel and service as the team and I are elated and remain motivated.

Thank you once again as we look forward for your next stay.

Best Regards