“A Honeymoon before our wedding”
Review of Villa Jacaranda

Villa Jacaranda
Ranked #8 of 98 Varkala B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“A Honeymoon before our wedding”
Reviewed 30 October 2010

My fiancee and I were fortunate enough to spend 5 magical days and nights at Villa Jacaranda prior to our wedding in the Maldives on September 14th. Ajay and his incredibly attentive and professional staff went above and beyond, in every way possible, to make our time in southern India a truly wonderful experience. We were lucky enough to stay in two different guest rooms during our stay. Each was a very private and generously furnished room, rich with all the local decor and stylings that anyone traveling from abroad would hope for. Our rooftop guest room, with breathtaking vistas of the sunset over the Arabian sea every night, afforded us an incredible atmosphere for intimate breakfasts, private yoga sessions on the rooftop balcony, and long afternoons watching the eagles and birds flying in and out of the surrounding canopy of palm trees. The Villas owner Ajay was so incredibly helpful to us, as he made himself available to us for any questions or assistance, at any time. With a simple phone call he was able to do things for us like; set up excellent private ground transportation to any destination, arrange an incredible overnight house boat trip on the backwater, not to mention always offering great recommendations for lunch, dinner and/or notable places to visit or stay away from. We found Villa Jacaranda through Lonely Planet and we are grateful, as should we find ourselves in Varkala again, there is no other place we would ever stay. Thanks again to Ajay and his excellent staff. It was truly the pefect place to spend the week before our wedding, and we still refer to our time there as our "Honeymoon before the wedding!"

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chadmouton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 October 2010

My wife and I stayed in this hotel in October this year. We had travelled down from Mumbai and had a great experience in India, until we stayed at this hotel.

I'm not going to comment on the average rooms, food or location, as our experience did not involve any of those.

On the last morning I spotted one of the staff looking through the window at my wife and I in bed. The person was using the mirror on the closet door to look at us while remaining hidden at the side of the window, so I'm guessing they were somewhat practised at this technique. I had no idea how long the person had been there looking at us, or how many days this had been going on, but as you can imagine, we left that day. The person involved initially tried to deny they had been there, but later attemped to apologise.

The icing on the cake was the 500 Rupees we found in our room when we came back from breakfast, which I'm guessing was there to ease our anger at being spied on. As you can imagine, this only made thingss worse for us, as it confirmed their guilt.

I will not be pressing this issue further, as I did not feel that involving the police would achieve anything, but I am using this website as my voice-as we chose the hotel based on reviews here.

If you like the look of this place, by all means, stay there. But keep in mind, this could happen to you.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
VillaJacaranda, Owner at Villa Jacaranda, responded to this review, 30 October 2010
As the owner of this guesthouse, I was deeply disturbed and shocked to go through your review. The person responsible, although in complete denial, has had his employment with us terminated as a result. He came to us with excellent references, a family man with young children. Were it not for your review, I would never have suspected him of such a thing. This incident took place during my absence from the property.

Something like this should never have happened to you anywhere – that it should have happened to my guests under my roof fills me with immense regret and shame. I offer you my sincere apologies. It will be my constant endeavour to ensure no such incident ever takes place in my property ever again.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 17 August 2010

Peace and quiet in beautiful surroundings - is what I think of when I think of Villa Jacaranda. The added bonus is the pleasant and attentive staff. I highly recommend staying at this location. I know I will be back!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 1 August 2010

This was among the nicer places I've stayed in many years.Lovely owners, beautiful gardens, away from the crazy cliff side. The third floor room is great - great views, etc. The dinner is also lovely.we saw gorgeous sunsets, did yoga on the roof. Great place to relax and recharge. Big rooms, great bathrooms!. what a lovely place!!!Pure paradise, great rooms with a very lovely garden and off the beaten track, which was nice! we didn't want to end up staying at the noisy cliff so we had decided to stay in this more peaceful area and the villa jacaranda was a great place ...

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank roony007
Dubai
Reviewed 23 May 2010

We recently spent 2 nights here as part of a 4 night stay in Varkala.

We choose this hotel based on the reviews on trip adviser. We had only intended to stay 2 nights and then we moved on to a different place. We stayed in Room 2 which had a private balcony.

The good parts about Villa Jacaranda......
It was very quiet, peaceful, relaxing
The staff were very nice, we had a good chat to the owner when we arrived
The breakfast that was included was delicious and it was a lovely day to start the day being served on our private balcony
The bathroom was nice
The room was........I would say ok

The bad parts
For me, the bed was far too uncomfortable. I felt like I was sleeping on a hard plank and subsequently, barely slept
The lack of A/C, during April it was stifling hot and the ceiling fan barely made a difference. The room was really hot and subsequently, I barely slept!
The location was very nice and peaceful but it was quite a distance from town (in the hot april heat). Going for dinner at night meant sometimes a lengthy wait for a rickshaw to arrive

Overall, we enjoyed our 2 nights there and liked the serenity. But I thought it was a bit over rated and a bit overpriced, considering I had 2 nights of terrible sleep due to the hard bed and lack of A/C. We moved from here to a place on the north cliff that had a direct view over the water, A/C, a soft comfortable bed and walking distance to all the shops and cafes - for half the price. I can see the attraction of Villa Jacaranda, but for us, it was just ok.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CockyBarK
Mumbai
Reviewed 21 May 2010

when we arrived in Kerala this had been our first place to stay. what a lovely place!!!Pure paradise, great rooms with a very lovely garden and off the beaten track, which was nice! we didn't want to end up staying at the noisy cliff so we had decided to stay in this more peaceful area and the villa jacaranda was a great place to do so. make sure that you reserve WAY in advance! and make sure you make reservations for the room on the roof top, which is the nicest. from there you have a beautiful view over the ocean!

would stay there again, and again and again;-))

• Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank sanjay_khot23
london
Reviewed 17 April 2010

We spent two nights here in February and had a wonderful relaxing time. We had the ground floor room overlooking the beautiful garden. The room was lovely with nice detail in the furnishings and decor, a big, comfortable bed, and an large bathroom. Each morning breakfast was served on our private veranda! We liked the way Ajay and his staff were ever-present but never intrusive, and always available to help. We enjoyed little touches like the way the fruit was arranged in the bowl for breakfast - not just thrown in, but with pomegranate seeds placed on banana slices with pineapple pieces and other fruits arranged in geometric patterns! - and the jasmine left on the veranda in the evening. And toast from the best bread that we tasted in India.

The Villa is in a great location on the quieter South Cliff. It's just a few minutes walk to the beach, and a few minutes more to the busier North Cliff with it's restaurants and shops. The temple a short walk away is well worth a visit; we tried to imagine what it would look like in a festival with all those oil lamps lit. A few minutes in a tuk-tuk takes you to Varkala itself, and the railway station (we arrived and departed by train, which was an enjoyable part of our holiday in itself).

We feasted on freshly-caught seafood at two restaurants recommended by Ajay (some of the best meals of our trip), and found plenty of other places to kick back with delicious smoothies overlooking the beach as the day's catch was landed.

We'd have no hesitation in staying here again and would recommend it to all travellers. It's remarkable value for a relaxing stay in a beautiful house with character, a thoughtful owner and attentive staff.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple