“Paradise at Villa Akasa”
Review of Villa Akasa

Villa Akasa
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We had previously stayed at Villa Jacaranda (belonging to the owner's brother) and had been recommended Villa Akasa, we were not disappointed. Beautiful room, over looking the green wilderness, a delight! We particularly enjoyed having dinner on our balcony, excellent food and great setting. It is slightly out of the heart of the action in Varkala but this is by no means a draw back as it is easy and cheap to get a tuk tuk.

Room Tip: The upstairs room, was large and had a great balcony for lounging on.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank JULA758
Villa-Akasa, Owner at Villa Akasa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2014

We are happy you had a pleasant stay with us. Look forward to you visiting again in the near future.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

We stayed over 2 places in Varkala and this one is by far the best one. Everything is amazing there, from the room up to the service. Breakfast was very good and the pleasure of enjoying on our own private terrace was amazing. The room was very clean and the bathroom a real dream after few hotels with no hot water!
The house is really close from a very nice beach, smaller than the main one but also much less crowded. You can go walking to the main beach and to the cliff where you can find all kind of restaurants you need.
I really recommend to anyone who wants to enjoy a great stay to try Villa Akasa!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Villa-Akasa, Owner at Villa Akasa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Hello Laetitia,

Thank you very much for lovely review. I am thankful that you've taken the time to write for us.
It was a pleasure having you, even it was a short stay.
We love to have you again.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Villa Akasa is a little hidden gem. With a beautiful combination of luxury, peace and home comforts you really can't ask for more.

We booked in for 4 nights at the beginning of our holiday(January), we intended on moving to cheaper accommodation afterwards to fit in better with our budget. However, after looking for other places to stay (and we looked at a lot), nowhere came close to the lovely Villa Akasa!

So we ended up staying there 10 days in total. It was bliss. Complimentary breakfast served on our own balcony or garden porch. Friendly and helpful staff who were a lovely energy about the place. Offering help with everything from booking a massage to sourcing tonic water. This said they leave you to your own devices and it is very peaceful. They are just there to offer help should you require it.

The rooms are beautifully decorated and spacious with big ceiling fans that really keep the place nice and cool.

Coming out of the gates at the front of the house and turn right -is a short walk to a gorgeous section of the beach next to the fishing village, that is much quieter than North Cliff. So relaxing down there is a lovely option practically on your doorstep. If you want something a little busier you can walk left out of the house, down temple road with its colourful little houses and down the steps near Green Pepper Restaurant. Or for the main beach, about a twenty minute walk. We hired a scooter for only 300 a day which really helped with getting about in a more relaxed way but tuk tuks are so cheap it is easy to get to and from the Villa.

Akasa offer the option to order a home cooked evening meal, I can't recommend this enough. Even if you only try it once. We tried it unfortunately on our last day and realised we'd been missing out the whole time! Delicious and very reasonably priced.

They also offer things like beach umbrellas and beach towels. You really feel like you are being well looked after, in the most relaxed way.

The gardens are beautiful, lots of vibrant colours and Kingfishers stopping by to say hello.

The prayers from the local temple(only a few times a day) are enchanting and really add some magic to the Indian soundscape.

If you want to experience some inner peace and beauty. This place will really compliment that.

My only regret is that with Shama working in Bangalore we didn't get chance to meet her. Next time!

Nanni!

Helen & Alex

Oh p.s I accidentally clicked on the fitness centre rating(no option to remove it) and of course there isn't one so please ignore that!

Room Tip: The top room in the main house is very spacious with a gorgeous breeze coming through the balcony do...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HeLenHOlidAAyS
Villa-Akasa, Owner at Villa Akasa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Hi Helen,

Thank you so much for your detailed review. I have no words to thank you enough.

I am so sorry that I was not there due to an emergency in Bangalore. Next time we must meet.
I would love to have you at my place again and again.

Take care,

Reviewed 3 February 2014

If you want sincere generous hospitality, book a room at Villa Akasa. At the end of my 3 week trip to India, I had the privilege to stay in a garden room at this guesthouse for a couple of nights. What a wonderful experience! I was made to feel at home immediately.
The tastefully decorated room was welcoming and comfortable. Meals were tasty with ingredients of high quality. Brown (raw) sugar was even presented at breakfast (the first time in my 3 weeks.) As I don’t use refined sugar in my daily life this detail was much appreciated. The village atmosphere was delightful, nothing to do with the “touristy” north cliff. It was always a pleasure to stop and chat with people in the neighborhood. The proximity to the quiet beach south of the villa was an added bonus. I could have easily stayed for a week of relaxation. It was truly a great way to end my time in India.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank thefickletraveller
Villa-Akasa, Owner at Villa Akasa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Hi Marcia,

It was really nice meeting you. Thank you so much for your suggestions. I must thank you from my heart for such a lovely review, which is so helpful for a new business like us.
With support from guests like you, we get inspired to provide better service.

Like to have you again and again.

Many thanks,
Take care

Reviewed 27 January 2014

This review is long overdue! My husband and I spent four days at Villa Akasa last February. Almost a year later, we are back in India and cannot wait to return to this beautiful, tranquil oasis. Not only is the place absolutely charming and well maintained, but Shama and her staff are extremely attentive and helpful.

We had the opportunity to stay in all three rooms! While we loved them all (especially the private terrace connected to each room, where we enjoyed delicious home cooked meals), our favorite room was the one on the second level.

The location of Villa Akasa is perfect, as it is just far enough away from the hustle and bustle of the North Cliff, yet it is an easy rickshaw ride or walk to the shops and restaurants.

This is by far our favorite bed and breakfast. Thank you, Shama and staff!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tdelhagen

Hi Tiffany,

It's been really long time I haven't heard from you. It was great having you at my place. I will be glad if you can come again and see how the garden is blooming.

We really miss your company.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

This place is highly recommendable. The rooms are generoursly equipped with nice furniture, fabrics and many decorative details of great taste. Service is perfect. You feel welcome immediately. Also the food is of a high standard and quality. You can absolutely follow the recommendations from Shama for places to go in Varkala.

If you want to enjoy a nice stay in Varkala go to Villa Akasa.
Matthias Spacke & Stefan Naumann, Berlin, Germany

Room Tip: All rooms are nice even if they are different.
Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Matthias S
Villa-Akasa, Owner at Villa Akasa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Hello Matthias,

It was a great experience meeting such a nice, cheerful and humble person. I wish I get more guests like you. Your knowledge in yoga was so deep and amazing !!

Thanks a million for such a wonderful review. I hope to see you soon.

Many thanks,

Reviewed 4 January 2014

We went to Villa Akasa (recommended by villa jacaranda) for xmas and new year, we took the two ground floor/garden rooms and stayed for eleven nights. It was peak season and the value for money was superb.

These are probably some of the nicest rooms to be had in Varkala, beautifully designed with spacious bathrooms.... including open air showers (in the two garden rooms) and lovely terraces opening on to the gardens which were awash with flowers and butterflies.

Navim (staff) would take our order in the evening from the excellent menu and a wonderful breakfast was served every morning (with a smile and the most gracious service) on our private terraces.

Shama (the owner) would organise tuk tuks for us anytime we were too lazy too walk to the bustling north cliff area or wanted to go into Varkala town or further afield. The villa was so peaceful and the service so great that we ate dinner there many evenings also (again from a lovely menu).

The south area of the beach (much quieter and far less busy than the main beach or north beach) is a short walk down the hill, so we often strolled down for an early morning pre-breakfast swim. It is also possible to walk the length of the south beach all the way to the north beach area. A couple of complimentary bicycles are available for guests who want to use them to explore the little back roads.

With just three rooms the vila has a boutique feel to it and nothing was too much trouble for the owner or the staff....fresh fruit juices or snacks at any time of the day etc etc. I honestly couldn't recommend it more highly.

Room Tip: the upstairs room is much larger but does not have the bonus of the wonderful outdoor showers that t...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Declan B
Villa-Akasa, Owner at Villa Akasa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Hi Declan,

It was great meeting you both. I learned so many things about gardening and about plants. And you're so helpful, I can not forget your kindness. It was a great experience.

I hope to see you again.