“Merely average and not brilliantly located”

Hindustan Beach Retreat
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Varkala
Hong Kong, China
“Merely average and not brilliantly located”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2011

My wife, sister and I stayed here before Christmas 2010 and was our first stop after landing at Trivandrum.

The hotel is a fairly relaxed place on the beach. As a travelling threesome we had asked in advance for an extra bed, which was not ready when we arrived at gone midnight on the day of arrival. We then had to wait for 40 minutes for them to find a third bed for the small double room, so long in fact, that my wife had already gone to sleep when it arrived. The room size, once three beds were installed, was decidedly small, which was irritating, though obviously won't apply if you are travelling on your own or as a couple.

Overall the place was clean and tidy. It has air conditioning which was useful as well, and a cute little balcony (but only two chairs) as well as a small swimming pool, which is a rarity I believe in Varkala. Our beds had covers on them and mine had a bit of old food stuck to the underside, which wasn't pleasant to find in the middle of the night.

The breakfast buffet was reasonable, if unspectacular. A lot of the hot food didn't have burners underneath, so was often cold by the time we got around to having it. However, there was a fresh egg station and these were obviously hot. The serving staff were pretty efficient and polite.

Overall, the location of the hotel isn't all that great in my view. We spent most of our time on the clifftops overlooking the beach, or on the beach itself under the cliffs, which is where most of the restaurants and bars are. Whilst there didn't look to be as "classy" a hotel as this one on the clifftop, that was where all the action and vibe of the place was, and if I went back to Varkala, I would stay there,and not in this place which is down the hill and a vigorous 15 minute walk back up to the cliffs.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Worldworn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2010

I stayed a t this hotel in November for three weeks, with my husband, eldest daughter and our 2 year old. We found the whole checkin proceedure very difficult. We had moved from the hotel we had originally booked, the Sanctum Spring, as they could not provide room service or a full menu. With a very small child, we are often back in the room by 6pm, so we need a hotel with food. On arrival at the Hindustan, we were asked to pay in advance, which had not been mentioned on our initial visit. We booked two executive rooms, with balcony, as we did not want the baby to disturb my daughter. We paid over 40 000 rps in advance, as were were getting annoyed with constantly being hassled about the bill. We were also dissapointed to find that the hotel does not have the internet andw i fi connections we had been told it did. The rooms are great, spacious, bright and the ones we had were overlooking the sea. Compared with a lot of beds in hotels in this area, they are great too, and changed everyf ew days, however, the top covers for the bed were very dirty and stained, but luckily it was too hot to have them on. Also the soft furnishingswere very dirty and shabby, especially the cushions. I did bring this up with the manager, but despite promises, they were not changed. I could not fault either the cleaning ladies, or the guys in the resteraunt and housekeeping, most of them go out of thier way to help. The next level of management I found difficult to deal with. My husband left for the UK after 2 weeks, leaving my daughter, son and I to move into one room. We had negotiated a price for this move for the further 3 weeks we were there. We did find that whenever we sent laundry we, had to check the bill, as without exception, we were overcharged, often fo things that we had not sent or recieved.as we sent laundry every day, this would have added up. One morning we came back into the room to find rodent droppings, when I called reception, they sent a maid with a brush to clean it up. I was not at all happy with this, and wanted moving to another room as we have an inquisitive baby. I could not believe the fuss i had to make to get a move. In the end, we waited over 4 hours to move, despite being told "ten minutes mam" about six or seven times. We had to pack all our stuff, and cancel a day trip to do this, so i was not pleased. We also had problems with my daughters room. THE power failed one evening and despite being told it was fixed several times, each time the guy came, the power stayed on for 10 mins, then failed. After a few hours of this, my daughter asked to be moved, as it was 11pm and no A/C, she was told in 30 mins. At 1am, nothing had happened and reception told her they could not move her as no other rooms were ready.we also had trouble as if the reception staff did not speak english, they would just put the phone down. When it came to paying the very substantial bill, I had no problems with it, but did not feel I should pay for the night my daughter could not sleep in the room, and we should also be compensated for having to move rooms, as we hadl ost our money on the day trip. I did not feel this was a lot to ask, as we paid the hotel over £1000 for our stay. This seemed to be out of the question, and I paid the bill rather than carry on an argument. We had a good time at this hotel, and the pool, resteraunt and housekeeping staff were all lovely. However, the management are very poor. The general manager did not seem to be around much, and the people he left in charge I found to be arrogant and patronising especially once my husband had left. This is not the first time we have been to India, and it will not be the last, but for the money we paid, I would expect far far better than this. I would not reccomend this hotel, which is such a shame, as with a few changes, it could be good. I spoke with a few other people while we were there, who were all experiencing the same kind of thing, and it really does spoil your precious holiday time.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank sneekygreeky
Noida, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2010

I was looking for a not-so-crowded destination for a vacation and Varkala seemed just about the right place. For me, the most important criteria for the hotel was that it should be right on the beach with a clear view of the sea. This made things quite easy as there are not too many hotels in Varkala offering this (it is a small place).

Hindustan beach resort seemed to be perfect. I had read great reviews about the hotel and I must say I wasn't disappointed at all. Although the hotel seemed small but the moment we entered into the room, there was nothing like it. The absolute breathtaking view of the sea from the room pays off for everything!

Rooms were very well done and clean. Hotel staff was great. Food choice was limited though. Room service was decent. We had some issues with the AC in our room and we were immediately shifted to a new room.

The main Varkala cliff is just a few hundred meters from the hotel. However, do not attempt to walk down from the cliff to the hotel through the sea beach at nights. It is just too lonely and feels unsafe!

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Varkala.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank amitsriv
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2010

We enjoyed our stay at Hindustan although I must admit that it is a rather big hotel. So if you are looking for a cosy, small place this is maybe not it. It offers reasonable luxury though and thats why we spent the money. Staff was helpful at all times but sometimes very slow. Especially breakfast took forever (but it was plenty and good). The place has a pool which is good as the sea is not really inviting for a swim at Varkala due to the strong current. Our rooms was spacious and well equipped. One of the few places we stayed at which had hot water (and I mean hot) all the time.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Graz, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2010

a modern hotel in a cozy size(about 26 rooms spread over 4 floors) at best location in varkala!not on the cliff! each room has seaview and pool view. the pool is not big and not always clear,but with little children or during times when the sea is too rough it's great.
there is a wonderful rooftop restaurant,which is also used for breakfast most time of the year.the beach is only 20 meters walk away from the hotel and the restaurant is very reasonable and good,they also serve beer and wine ,but the latter is a bit overpriced.
my favorite rooms are the few with balcony!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank arthurkarner
Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2010

I stayed at the hotel for 2nights in April. I found this to be a great little hotel overlooking a dirty spot of beach filled with rubbish, and left overs of people who come to perform puja's for the dead - but then, a two minute walk away, you come to a lovely stretch of beach thats so refreshing from the dirty area you get to see when you open the curtains of your window. But baring this minor incident, I found nothing to complain about the Hindustan Beach Resort. Reception was warm and friendly, checkin/checkout in record time, room ( 201) I stayed in was huge, great views of the sea, spacious and spotless. The food I order in room service was delicious, reasonable and better priced compared to those at the shacks on the beach. Also, from the beach on the right, you could climb up the stairs to the cliff and there is a wide array of shops, restaurants, massage parlours etc. This area is worth a walk in the evenings.

I was a bit disappointed with the Ayurvedic clinic....1200 for a full body massage was a bit steep. Well, he eventually gave me a 15% discount, but still high compared to other places which charged 700 -900. I also did a yoga session for 600 but thought it to be totally unprofessional. One of the massage staff tried to teach me about 15 asanas in 0ne hour and then the breathing excercises and it was so rushed and confusing, that i felt there should be a more professional way of teaching yoga especially to someone learing it for the first time. I was torn between looking at the guy trying to do the exercise, do it myself and memorising it.

The hotel breakfast was very very disappointing. Staff totally disinterested. food cold, Choice of food restricted to very few choices. I think this hotel needs to do more to improve the quality of its breakfast. The restaurant on the top that serves breakfast offers great views.

The swimming pool is small, but clean. The hotel being right on the beach, should also do its bit in keeping the entrance to the beach clean. Placing dustbins, ensuring that vendors who sell icecreams and wot not keep dustbins and ensure people dont throw their icecream wrappers on the road, keeping someone on hand to inform people to keep the surroundings clean and pickup rubbish, should go a long way in giving the hotel a better seafront name and location !

Otherwise, a very nice hotel, and I would definitely stay there again. I could say, even better that the Taj Gateway hotel nearby on a cliff. Great value ! I hope this hotel continues to keep it up !

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vinn_2k
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2010

The hotel is situated at the South Cliff end of Varkala beach, yards from the sea and close to a large Hindu temple and some very good beach restaurants. It's about 15 mins from the more developed North Cliff area by walking along the beach or over the cliff top via the helipad.

We stayed in a suite overlooking the pool and beach for 2 weeks and the staff were fantastic. Really warm and hospitable and especially good with our 2 young boys (2 & 4).

The suite was really comfortable and spacious with A/c, mini bar, cable TV and a lovely view across the sea. We had a full breakfast there every morning which was a mix of local dishes and fruit, toast, eggs and croissants. We also really enjoyed the lunches and dinners from a comprehensive menu and the waiting staff really went out of their way to ensure our children were happy and comfortable.

The rooms were well cleaned every day with fresh towels and bed linen and the standard of the suite was very good.

I'd especially like to thank the management who were quick to help us out when the need arose and also to the pool attendant, Gopal, who played with our kids at the pool side and made sure they were safe.

Definitely recommend this hotel to anyone travelling with children in Varkala and looking for somewhere that can accommodate them in a safe and friendly environment.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family