“great place, excellent value for money”
Review of Akhil Beach Resort

Akhil Beach Resort
Ranked #16 of 52 Hotels in Varkala
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Just returned from Varkala and Akhil was a great find. It exceeded my expectations. The standard room was large with fan and tv. The bathroom was very modern and everything was really clean. I had a lovely balcony overlooking the beautiful garden. The restaurant did some really nice Keralan meals and breakfast although not included was great and really cheap.
We enjoyed the swimming pool as my husband found getting up and down to the beach too difficult. Their treatment spa was also very good value. The location is really good as set back from the cliff but only minutes to restaurants ect. A real gem and excellent value.The staff were all very polite and helpful and do a great job keeping the gardens, pool and surrounding areas really clean. The room cleaning staff were also really good and did a great job.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Akhil Beach Resort

Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed at Akhil in January and we had a very nice moment. The weather was perfect. The attention of the team was very good, and I loved the garden. I loved the song of the birds during the breakfast time, and how the staff was taking care of this place everyday. We also loved the team of the ayuvredic center inside the hotel. A lovely place to relax.

Room Tip: near to the swimming pool!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2014

OK - we used all the facilities of Akhill Beach resort - but slept in their Annex - Raza Park across the Road. We had a little cottage. Room and Bathroom were of a Good size. Asked for a fridge on day one, each day they said yes tomorrow. Needless to say it did not come. This was a very last minute booking. The fact that we used the Akhill Pool and Restaurant was great.
It was just a few mins. walk to the Cliffs and restaurants. Our main Beach time is Korvalam Beach, so a bit disappointed with the Beach here, not to mention getting down the steps and back up. But would book Akhill if we went back. Lovely gardens and Pool.

Room Tip: Pool side.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Akhil (used to be known as Preeth some years ago) is about a five minute walk from the beachfront, which is a blessing as the beachfront is crowded and noisy. The rooms are clean and well appointed, the garden beautiful, and the staff friendly and helpful. Several even remembered me from my last visit several years ago. The best bit though is the pool-- huge, clean and wonderful, the best in Varkala I think. They do let people from outside the hotel use it, but put a limit on it so it doesn't get too crowded. The restaurant's food is good, and while pricier than some places, is about the same as the places along the beachfront. My only complaint is now that it has become popular, prices have risen and advance booking in high season is essential. It would be a great place to end a trip around the rest of India, to rest, revive, and recover!

Room Tip: If you can't afford the poolside cottages, I like the rooms in the two story building that face...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I spent a week here, wishing I had a month as it was all just right. The room, though fairly small, had space for bags and a small but nice balcony and small but just right bathroom. We had a fan room which was all we needed with the perfect weather and open windows. A small downside was no screens on the windows and I worried about rats, mossies, etc but none appeared and our nights were unhampered. The restaurant has excellent food from morning to night, fresh juices, good masala chai and coffees and wifi all around the food and reception area. The help was accommodating and friendly, the walk to the cliff area fairly short and pleasant and then area around the hotel quiet. They do offer yoga and massage like everywhere else and I took one yoga class at their center across the street and was pleased. I would go back any time and highly recommend the Akhil Beach Resort.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Akhil Beach Resort is one of the best hotels on Varkala Cliff, albeit only 3* - there's nothing higher than that in the area.... long may it stay that way as it retains a village feel rather than a huge resort area.
This is my third stay here with the lovely 'Shining Minds' yoga and personal development group.

Enjoyed every minute of my stay apart from the very rude, loutish Romanian man who laid his towels on two sun beds around the pool every day and hardly used them (that's another story). Akhil Management need to ensure their guidelines are followed eg 'no one can reserve a sun bed', as stated on their signs.
The hotel is under new ownership and been refurbished somewhat, with improved ensuite facilities and hot and cold water!!! The rooms are basic but one only needs to shower and sleep in them, so who wants luxury? The Air Con cottages are more salubrious and perhaps better for families with children.

The staff are charming, obliging and friendly, some of them have been with the hotel many years.

The gardens are delightful, and the pool a good size and always clean although sunbeds in the sun are sometimes hard to find (particularly when towel reserved by Romainians who do not use them).
Unfortunately, I missed a great scene, when a little monkey jumped into the pool and mimicked its users by swimming on front and back, and doing a bit of sun bathing on ledge.. seen video of it - hilarious. Sanjay, our host says he had never seen anything like this in all the years he had used the hotel.
The restaurant faclilities and food are very good, although most evenings we ate in one of the Cliff restaurants.
The Yoga shala is fine although the mozzies can be a bit nippy at certain times of the day. We were spied on during one of our yoga sessions by a small owl sitting in rafters - he remained with us to the end of it. One of the group did take photos.... wonderful experience.
The Ayurvedic centre is worth a visit, and I was welcomed by a couple of ladies who massaged me a couple of years ago, and remembered me!!!

There has never been any problems with the honestly of staff.... The Manager takes a pride in ensuring the holiday runs smoothly, he has been at the hotel for a number of years.
The hotel is gated with security 24 hrs, there is wi-fi and this year TVs have been installed in the rooms(not that I wanted to watch TV - to much else to do)

Room Tip: Basic rooms have a little ensuite shower room and fans ( I take ear plugs as am not good with the fa...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pamelala
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We were very much disgusted because we have booked 2 this same rooms with garden view and fan on hotels.com . When we came one of our room was occupied!. Staff divided our family into two different rooms: one was OK (clean, with speed fan) and second - the cottage. At the beginning turned off the air conditioning at a cottage because we booked a room without air conditioning! Sorry but we did not order the cottage with very slow fan!... We booked and prepaid 2 rooms and it was hotel's fault .Otherwise the hotel is very nicely designed with beautiful garden and very clean pool. Because of this problem with overbooking I'm not sure whether to recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family