“There is something called too much hospitality”
Review of Hotel Chandela

Hotel Chandela
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Khajuraho
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
“There is something called too much hospitality”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My husband and I arrived to Taj Chandela not knowing what to expect, of course the Name Taj carries some weight. We were not disappointed.
Its a beautiful property and not to forget a very warm staff.
I felt very welcomed from the very first day, the breakfast was brilliant and dinner was delightful. The decoration is in keeping with the spirit of Khajuraho, I struck quite a friendship with teh SPA lady , Enjoyed the warm conversations will staff member , it was all better than we planned or expected. Really worth a visit.
And yes, i forgot a bag full of shoes when i left the hotel and the hotel returned it to me via courier without extra charges.
Thank you all for making my holidays very special!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
NarayanSinghBhayal, General Manager at Hotel Chandela, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Guest

It was an absolute pleasure having you stay with us.

We cannot thank you enough for taking time to update your experience on Trip Advisor. Your time and praise is overwhelming and precious to us.

We are delighted to read your review and sincerely thank you for your encouraging and kind words of praise for our product, restaurants, food and services.

Your compliments have been shared with the entire team and specially the Spa lady, for whom it is a great source of inspiration.

It is our constant effort to ensure we meet up with the services, facilities and products that our guests have come to expect from us. Feedback such as this will encourage us to strive for even higher standards of service.

We thank you once again for your appreciative feedback and look forward to having more opportunities to be of service to you.

E mail: narayan.bhayal@tajhotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Taj Chandela is situated on the main Khajuraho road, barely 1.5 km away from the Western Group of temples. The walk to the temples and the main market is barely 15-20 minutes.

Hotel - Very peaceful hotel with nice gardens. Though the property is old and show signs of ageing, the warm hospitality more than makes up for it. The hotel manager was a real nice gentleman, very friendly and goes out of the way to help.

Room – The hotel was generous to upgrade us to a pool facing suite. Marvelous is the simple word to describe the room and the setting. Check out the photographs. Very comfortable.

Location – Walkable from major attractions.

Lawns – Very nice lawns to walk around. They have open places where they conduct Barbecues at night for guests.

Swimming Pool – Nice big pool. However did not use it since it was cold when I visited.

Breakfast – Adequate breakfast. Nothing too great over here. Did not have the rest of the meals in the hotel as wanted to try out other culinary places.

Overall a very very comfortable and luxurious stay at Taj Chandela for 4 days. Thoroughly enjoyed the stay and the Taj hospitality. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to know that you had an enjoyable stay experience at the hotel and enjoyed our hospitality and services. Thank you so much for your valuable feedback.

We are pleased to learn that you found our hotel quiet and peaceful,located wonderfully in the heart of the city and appreciated the staff's attentive and professional behaviour.

My team was excited to learn about your feedback and do come back and stay with us again on your next trip to Khajuraho.

Yours sincerely,

Gurgaon, India
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This hotel took me back in time. No its not a heritage hotel but it reminded me of those expansive guest houses and hotels from my childhood days in 1980s. Nothing too contemporary or stiff about this place.
Staff is very friendly, indian food is great. Non-indian food can be improved a bit.
I and my wife enjoyed the great hospitality in this Hotel. We had a great couple of days there - cycling the lawn, enjoying in the pool, in the spa, warmly treated with some off-the-menu Bundelkhandi food.
I'm sure I would stay here when I travel to Khajuraho next time.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Abyzreview
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Chandela,Khajuraho and for sharing your wonderful feedback with us. We are pleased to know that you had a comfortable stay experience at the hotel and liked our hospitality and services. We are also happy to learn that you found our staff efficient and helpful, rooms clean, peaceful and well appointed.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the Indian food and specially the Bundelkhandi meal.

Your constructive observation about the non Indian food has been noted and we will improve the same.

We look forward to your stay with us during your next visit to Khajuraho.

Best regards

Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

A lovely, quaint hotel. Rooms were clean and well maintained. Ours opened out on to the pool, which was ideal. Very good bathroom with huge shower. Gardens very pleasant. Two lovely staff in the spa gave massages - Incredibly cheap and well received after such a long journey. The restaurant was of an equally high standard and the waiters were very friendly. Laundry was delivered within hours ready for the next leg of the journey. I wish I could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Opening out to the pool is ideal.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bev15
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sparing your time for updating your experience on Trip Advisor.
We are overwhelmed to read your kind words of appreciation for our product and service.

It is our constant endeavour to provide our guests with the highest level of comfort and to make their stay truly memorable. We do hope you will continue to provide us with more opportunities to be of service.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Yes, the hotel is bit old but very well maintained - every service offered is working well including billiards, bar and the pool. I hired the bycycle from the hotel and roamed around. Room, which I stayed in, was contemporary setting, facing the pool. Personally, I like the old Taj hotel designs rather than the new contemporary designs ! Lobby is very large with a few shops.

As it was summers some of its outdoor dining was shut. Restaurant food is awesome - they will prepare any dish for you in the menu if not available in the buffet - try the bundelkhandi thali. Most importantly, it is Taj service from gate to gate- warm and awesome. Icing on the cake - an early checkin at 8am and late checkout at 5pm - can you beat that.

Location - 1 km from Western temple complex, which is an easy walk. I suggest you to hire a auto rick to see the eastern temples as they are scattered and worth seeing.

Room Tip: Pool facing are better. Eat in the hotel as quality of food is not good outside (but your choice).
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest

It was an absolute pleasure having you stay with us.

Your compliments have been shared with the entire team, for whom it will be great source of inspiration.

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 3 July 2014

The hotel is ideally located. It ticks all the boxes from a facilities point of view. Like some others have reviewed, everything is dated. The hotel definitely needs an overhaul, and quickly!

The staff is very friendly. Food is above average.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
NarayanSinghBhayal, General Manager at Hotel Chandela, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us another opportunity to be of service to you during your visit to Khajuraho.

The team and I sincerely are grateful for your time taken in posting your feedback on Trip Advisor.

We are happy to read you liked the facilities and services at the hotel.

It is our endeavour to provide our guest with the highest level of comfort and to make their stay memorable and your appreciation is indeed rewarding.

I thank you once again for this review of our hotel and look forward to the delight of having more opportunities to be of service to you.

Yours sincerely,

Cehegin, Spain
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately our tour company booked us in and had I have known what I know now I would have asked to be moved. Service was poor, room was full of bugs, I know it is India, but you can control it for the best. We had no hot water and having spent 6 hours in a car on Indian roads was looking forward to a hot shower. Biggest issue however was the food, we ate in the restaurant in the evening, thought I would have a change from Thali so ordered a Margarita Pizza, sorry sir Pizza oven not working!! So ordered a Tuna Sandwich, took one bite and realized what a mistake that was. Breakfast the following morning was unappetizing, I had finished my Paratha by the time they bought my eggs.

Overall my recommendation would be don't stay there.In particular as it was more expensive for meals and drinks than any other hotel we stayed at yet such poor service

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bob H
Dear Guest
Greetings from Hotel Chandela, Khajuraho.
At the outset I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your kind feedback.
We deeply regret not being able to come up to your expectations and live up to our own standards.
This is a small to note to assure that we have noted your constructive feedback and we promise to take corrective actions at our end. It is our constant endeavor to provide the finest of products and services. We would like to assure you that all steps will be taken to ensure a memorable stay of yours in future.We value your patronage and I am confident that you would provide us another opportunity to be of service to you and experience the gracious hospitality and the services provided by Hotel Chandela, Khajuraho.
I look forward to meet you during your next stay with us at Khajuraho.