“Probably the best hotel in Aurangabad, but it's not the Rambagh Palace”

Vivanta by Taj Aurangabad
Ranked #1 of 57 Hotels in Aurangabad
New York City, New York
“Probably the best hotel in Aurangabad, but it's not the Rambagh Palace”
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We stayed at the Taj Residency so that we could explore the Ajanta and Ellora caves. We purchased the Cultural Carnivals package that included breakfast, dinner and a driver to take you to the caves -- I would recommend this package if you're planning on seeing the caves. The car was a nice sedan and pretty comfortable.

The service was generally very good. Our pick-up from the airport and transfer to the hotel was very smooth. The staff was friendly and accommodating.

But don't expect the rooms here to even compare to rooms of other Taj Hotels (like the Rambagh palace or the palace wing in Mumbai). To be fair, the price of this hotel is a fraction of what the other Taj's cost. Like other travelers, we were told that we were upgraded from a Deluxe to Luxury, but the room really didn't seem luxurious at all. Although the room was clean, it looked more like a Best Western motel.

The first night, we had dinner in the regular indoor restaurant. Some of the dishes were quite good, while others were just ok. The second night, we had dinner at their outdoor bbq (this cost extra per person, but definitely worth it). The food was delicious -- probably one of the best meals we had during the 10 days we were in India.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 February 2012

When we arrive we were advised that we had been upgraded from Deluxe to Luxury. When we got to the room I said to my husband “If this is Luxury, I wonder what Deluxe looked like?”
Not that there was anything seriously wrong with the room. It was just a little faded. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. Things looked a little worn.
The staff was immensely friendly. On our way to breakfast along the outside corridor in the morning it seemed that we said good morning 25 times as staff passed us in the hallway. They were very nice.
We ate at the hotel restaurant twice and both times chose the buffet and enjoyed it very much. They packed us a box lunch on our first day for our excursion to the Ajanta Caves. It was very good and reasonably priced.
I wouldn’t hesitate to stay again but do feel that it is not as well kept as most other Taj hotels. We have of course limited experience but talking to other guests who seemed more disappointed than we did at the condition of the hotel.
Still a good to place to say. No complaints from us.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
atlanta
Reviewed 19 February 2012

We stayed at the Taj for two nights while we visited the caves. This is a nice property but if you are looking for an over the top type of resort that you have come to expect from Taj, this is not it. The facility is a bit dated. The paint has been done one to many times and the building and grounds show the age. Despite this we enjoyed our stay. The staff is superb and the food for breakfast and dinner is varied and excellent. Don't get me wrong. This is a very nice resort, just not up the the wow factor that usually is associated with the Taj experience.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
York UK
Reviewed 16 February 2012

We breathed a sigh of relief after our experience at Bijapur ( check out my review on the Shashinag Residency) as we entered the Taj in Aurangabad.
Our rooms were spacious and comfortable - our friends were given a covered balcony room with a swing and we had the open balcony which was quickly furnished with chairs.The bathrooms are though surprisingly small.given the overall quality of the hotel.

The first night we chose the barbecue dinner which was good but we certainly began to feel the cooll of the evening air. We were there for 6 nights and observed that most guests did not choose the barbecue option.. Some evenings there were 3 tables at most which suggests to me that the hotel needs to re think its meal policy.
The buffet it has to be said was usually disappointing and tired looking. We ate from the a la carte menu which offered a better alternative.
The dining room is relatively small given the size of the hotel and the large groups did tend to dominate the proceedings. We were totally overwhelmed one evening and this did affect the service which was usually very attentive.
The grounds are beautiful and it was here that I learned to play croquet - please replace the yellow ball!
The manners of the staff were impeccable at all times.
Thank you for looking after us so well.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 26 January 2012

I travelled in October 2011. The hotel had arranged to pick me up from the airport. The person I met there, Ganesh, was a warm talkative person. Check in was a breeze. Hardly took me a couple of minutes.

Real trouble started after the check-in. The room door would not lock from inside. I called for help. Instead of fixing the door, he told me the trick to lock it from inside by adjusting the door.
After a long sleepless and hectic night working on a presentation, followed by an early morning flight, i wanted to soak myself in warm water in the bathtub. However, even the bathroom doors wont lock from inside (not that it mattered because i was travelling alone). Moreover, the bathtub was one old plastic one with permanent spots on it. I had to take a shower, and then get ready.

Was shown to the restaurant. Bad experience there as well. I requested for a Dosa, which was not properly cooked. Left almost all of it, and then left the hotel for the day to attend to my purpose of visit.

On my request, the hotel had arranged for a car. The chauffeur was an arrogant, reckless driver. By the time I was back in the hotel, I was feeling dizzy. On reaching the hotel, I requested the front desk manager to send some disprin and the manager to my room. Interestingly, the person forgot both my request.

After half an hour later, I called up the front desk once again. This time they were swift in action. One gentleman turned up with the medicine, and listened patiently to the entire episode. He apologised profusely, and said that he will ensure that the rest of my stay was pleasant.

I stepped out of my room to go and have dinner. On my way, I noticed one gentleman walking briskly towards me. He introduced himself as Mr. Himadri Ray (apparently, the general manager of the hotel). Despite the headache, he requested me to reiterate the entire experience, which I did (and hated it). He was accompanied by another gentleman, who promptly noted down everything I had to day. Even before I realised, the other guy was on his feet cross-checking every complaint that i had, and confirmed it to Mr. Ray.

As a service recovery, they immediately upgraded my room free of charge (too bad, the upgraded rooms did not have a bath tub, and there was hardly any difference in both the rooms).

Himadri also spoke to the chef about my complaint. Since, I wasnt feeling well, I decided to have dinner in my room, and not at the barbecue buffet. The chef himself came along with the dinner. Another thorough gentleman. The food was good, rather delicious.

Next day early morning, I woke up to the sound of someone trying to break into my room through the door. Opened it to find another of their staff member who was instructed to deliver a plate of cookies and a fruit basket to my room, but wasnt informed that I was in the room. He too started apologising profusely.

The breakfast this time was good. No complaints there. The chef sent me a complimentary dosa.

I decided to spend this day sight-seeing and shopping. Given previous day's experience, they upgraded my from Tata Manza to Toyota Innova free of charge. The chauffeur this time was pleasant and well informed. We went around the city sight-seeing, went to some temples, and shopped for some sarees for my mother and wife.

I was offered extended check-out time at the time of booking. However, I was running late. Hence, I called up the hotel to check me out. They informed me that they have further extended the check out time to suit my late evening flight. I couldnt ask for more.

During the check out, Mr. Ray welcomed me to stay with them for the next trip (which was due the following month, however, cancelled out at the last moment) and offered a free upgrade.

Overall, while the hotel did goof up at a lot of places, the service recovery gestures were decent. It was more a case of old property coupled with lack of coordination (and not lack of intention).

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Chandigarh, India
Reviewed 25 January 2012

As expected from a Taj Hotel, everything is just right - the rooms, the gardens, the health club, the restaurant, and the bar. There is a lavish buffet spread.

It was great value for money.

However, the taxi service of the hotel is a bit overpriced. At the airport you can pick up taxi services at a much cheaper price...

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Pune
Reviewed 25 January 2012

There is no doubt but to say this hotel as fantastic. I stayed in this hotel in November 2011 for business trip but had very comfortable stay. Infrasture is like palace, rooms are very spacious and food is delicious.

I would suggest for traveller to Aurangabad to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business