“good hotel near railway station”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Samrat Hotel

The Samrat Hotel
Ranked #51 of 221 Hotels in Pune
Raebareli, India
“good hotel near railway station”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

Hotel rooms are good .Service good.They usually provide pickup from airport .Complementary breakfast provided nicely.restaurant staff good. They dont have a regular restaurant instead it is a temporary structure made by covering the lawn area.

Room Tip: room 108 was good
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank prerna62

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Tel Aviv
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

I arrived to Pune by bus and tried to find a good cheap hotel. As all the ~1000 rupees hotels were fully booked, I took the a Samrat hotel for my first night. I can say that the advantage of this hotel is the breakfast and the restaurant where you can have nice dinner with a beer. The location is also convenient to the train and the bus stations. Disadvantages are: even though the room was clean it gave unclean feeling as the floor has a lot of black marks on it. There is no free internet also and even if you pay you can connect only one device and for me it didn't work at all. I found not far from there another hotel, Woodland which costs little more but has free internet and the hotel is from higher class.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Ilan58
Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

Unlike the description in the Lonely Planet - this hotel is neither new nor clean. It is dirty, and due to the levels of scum on the toilet seat - I'd say pretty old too.

We arrived after midnight and took this hotel as it was the only, near by, lonely planet listing that wasn't fully booked.

We were lead to filthy room - wreaking of cigarette smoke. After asking to see another, less smoky, room - we were taken to a slightly better room.

We agreed to take the room. The male hotel worker then informed me that I should 'stay in the room' while he spoke to my husband about coatings downstairs. Traveling around India - I get ignored by men on a regular basis, however I do not expect to be treated like a child by a prepubescent hotel worker.

The hotel beds, more uncomfortable than the train beds we had traveled on to Pune, not only had dirty sheets - but we're also abnormally short. My husband and I are both over 5ft tall - and so our feet, and half our calves, hung off of the tiny twin beds we were given.

Ending up in this overpriced dump is something I wholeheartedly advise against.

There are many other places around the Kodegan Park - much nicer and far more reasonably priced (because they're not in the lonely planet). Ask a rickshaw driver to take you to one that fits your budget.

A tuk tuk from the station to Kodegan Park is no more than 50rs. Do not pay more than this!

Also my advice to backpackers would be avoid Pune all together. Unless you are interested in going to Osho to practice sexual yoga and eat at incredibly expensive, yet tasteless, 'yoga restaurants' - avoid. Head to Mumbai - a really exciting city with no crowds of ridiculous maroon gowned clones in sight!

The Samrat hotel price was 2300rs p/n for a small twin-bed non AC room. The price does not include wifi. If you want wifi you need to pay a further 60rs p/h.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alice P
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

When I landed at Pune station, I did a round of all the other cheaper offerings in the area close to the station, Homeland, National, etc. The rooms were dingy, bathrooms were leaky and the rates quoted were exorbitantly high in proportion to what was being offered. So I decided to double my budget and go for some comfort by settling for Samrat, which is definitely the biggest and most efficiently run hotel near the station.

I had to look at a few rooms before deciding on the one I settled for on the 5th floor. There was a loud function going on in the nearby alley and all the other rooms (especially the non AC ones) could catch the full brunt of the noise. But the room I chose, facing the road was quiet and clean. The wifi should have been free but it wasn't and was quite expensive. It's terribly inconvenient if I have to use the internet only for 2 hrs a day but have to pay for 12 hrs. I hope someday Indian hotels will realise that when they charge such a lot of money for a room, it's good manners to offer free internet which really doesn't cost any hotel an awful lot of money.
They seem to have just one remote for all the AC rooms in the hotel, so it was a real pain to call the man with the remote every time I needed an adjustment of temperature. Again, it should not be a lot of trouble for a business hotel to provide control over the air-conditioning especially since it's not centrally air-conditioned. Another problem I had was that, there was constant moving of furniture in the floor above mine. I wouldn't have had a problem with that if it had been a budget hotel but this certainly was no budget hotel (although they would like to tell you so)

The surrounding area is quite shabby and you either have to walk around a bus station area smelling of piss or a back alley smelling of alcohol to get to the main road.

The best part of my stay was that I could catch the sunset every evening and right below my room, in the coconut tree below, two hawks had nested and it was a welcome treat to watch them for free for the couple of days I spent in the room.

If you really have to stay near the station, it is certainly the best option. But if you can, try staying in a nicer part of the city.

Room Tip: Select rooms on the top floors facing the road. The views are nicer and the rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Traveholics
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

i had stayed at this hotel in june this year,
I had some work in pune, with no pre-booked hotel, and no background homework done, i landed at pune bus station( from mumbai-pune shivneri bus), after some search around i found this hotels signboard flashing on its rooftop. and decided to have a look inside.
i found the hotel to be neat and well managed.
i stayed for a night, at reasonable rates. food was average but fresh.
i should mention about the hotels delicious breakfast, the batata vadas specially.
on drawback of the hotel was its location, i found the hotel surroundings to be a bit uncomfortable, especially not recommended to roam around late night.
but, its a boon for business travelers on a tight budget.
so if u are looking only for a good nights sleep, i will strongly recommend

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank drharshadpanchal
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

My wife and I spent 3 nights in this over priced property, whose only advantage is to be right beside the train station. For what they charge they should make an effort! In all our years of travel we cannot recall such a rude and unhelpful front desk, management and staff. Not worth the money! We promise you. They should take some of their profits and train their personel on people skills. Sadly, a horrible experience in an otherwise lovely city.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Ahmedabad, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

Hotel location is good near to railway station but not value for money. Maintennace is very poor and service is also very poor. I have to change room just within an hour of check in. The breakfast is very poor and you have to ask for fruits or juices. Very limited items are available at table.

Room Tip: Try some other hotel first.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business