“KARE CARES”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pune
KARE Ayurveda & Yoga Retreat
Ranked #3 of 495 Speciality Lodging in Pune
Bengaluru, India
“KARE CARES”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

KARE situated on a mountain slope facing the Tata Hydro electric reservoir, amidst dense forests is a sight to see by itself. All around, the peaks invite you and it is difficult to resist this mountain call. And the sparkling water in front, reflecting the morning and evening sun takes you to a different world.
And this is the place you are not made to starve to lose weight. KARE feeds you "satvik" vegetarian food three times a day and you are free to drink herbal tea as much as you want. The secret of losing weight or treatment for a health problem lies in their twice a day yoga and various types of body massages.
It is a great place to relax, play, walk and get a cure for many ills of mind and body. Even a week's stay makes a lasting change within you.

Room Tip: Every room is a cottage facing the lake. Thus, you need not choose one.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank 324MNRao

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I came to KARE in order to find a quiet and peaceful place to re-charge my batteries, get some good "pampering" treatments and do Yoga at the same time. The main reason why I chose KARE was the close distance to Mumbai and the very positive reviews I read on TripAdvisor.

But my overall experience was rather average. You can surely find other places in India which offer better value for the same price.

So lets start with the good points of KARE:

-> The setting of KARE is very nice. There are great views on a lake and mountains. KARE is set in a lush tropical forest on a hill. You wake up with the singing of the birds. Already nature calms your mind and puts you in a peaceful condition.

- > The Ayuvedic food which is served three times per day is very delicious, healthy and tasteful.

- > The treatments I had were good and helped me to relax. There is a major treatment in the morning and a minor one in the afternoon. The massages were done professionally and with care.

-> The staff is very friendly, helpful and supportive.

And now to my negative points:

- The facilities are quite run down. For example there was quite a lot mold on the wooden roof of the room I stayed in. I booked a basic room for 2950 rupees. The room was spotless clean, but damp. The room had clearly seen better times. Because of all the rain and humidity mold can surely grow quickly especially if there is no AC, but still customers should not be placed in such a room. In the bathroom electric cables we looking out of the wall. For 38 Euros you can stay in much better places in India and even in Europe. I travel a lot. In my opinion the accommodation price is over charged for the conditions of the facilities.

The treatment room was also not in a good condition. The shower room had lots of mold on the ceiling, too.

- I didn't appreciate the Yoga classes. I think the classes are good for beginners since you use a lot chairs, walls and other objects to get you in the right positions. But if you have practiced Yoga already before, then these classes will probably not satisfy you. There is no flow in the classes. After the class I felt that a concept was missing. I didn't feel any connection or self discovery. Also I missed some deeper explanation about our exercises as regards to the philosophy behind and what exactly we were doing. Another participant who practiced Yoga before felt the same.

- I had to leave one day earlier since my travel plans changed. I was not refunded since KARE has a no refund policy. You have to pay at the beginning of your stay the complete price. I don't know if this is a common practice, but I found this rule is not custom friendly. As a reason KARE staff stated that I blocked the room for other customers but at the time I was there KARE was not fully booked.

- As written already before - after having talked to friends who regularly come to India and have taken different Yoga classes and Ayuvedic treatments I find the prices in KARE ( treatment tariff 6700/person/day + accommodation tariff 2950/room/night for a standard room) overpriced. You can get the same treatments and even private Yoga classes for a cheaper price.

To put it in a nutshell: If you are looking for a quiet, green place in nature with nice treatments and considered that you don't care so much about money, then KARE is surely a good option. If you have done Yoga before and your focus is more on Yoga than you should better look for something else.

Room Tip: Make sure that there is no mold on the ceiling/walls in your room.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
26 Thank 82393Iffeldorf
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We arrived at KARE in October, when orange oasis flowers bloom at the end of the monsoon season. We traveled with with friends who raved about their visit last year and promised we would love it, too. They were right! The beautiful mountains and lake made this tranquil setting a nurturing place to plunge into the healing world of Ayurvedic medicine, diet and yoga. Where else would you do several hours of yoga every day taught by your doctor? One of the yoga teachers is 80 years old. He still does the splits and stands on his head with no hands! The yoga teachers are creative in their use of props to assist less experienced yoga students. The progress is quick and startling. The doctors on staff are caring, competent and thorough in their assessment and diagnosis. The entire staff is warm, welcoming, patient and kind, and they all do daily yoga - they "walk the walk." The nutritionist evaluated our diets and arranged for cooking classes to assist us taking home the principles of Ayurvedic cuisine. She explained how we could incorporate Ayurvedic dietary guidelines for better health. The cook was flexible about changing the menue to avoid substances guests preferred not to consume. The wonderful massage therapists were part of the treatment team, and included herbs prescribed by the doctor into the massage oils. The birds serenaded us; one sang the opening notes to "La Cucaracha!" We met fascinating guests from India and all over the world, including yoga instructors from the Iyengar Institute in Pune, who came on their day off to be in the countryside. It was delightful getting to know the other guests over meals, which were served family-style on a terrace overlooking the lake. Many of the guests are repeat customers who come for "panchakarma" - periodic reset packages for better health. If this is what it takes to get our "karma punched," we may very well be back again soon! The full service package even includes prayers over the food chanted by the waiters! The medical benefits of being at KARE began at once. Lower blood pressure, easier digestion, fewer aches and pains, weight loss with no hunger, and a general sense of well-being and harmony. Our western brains are still trying to understand how ghee (clarified butter) can be a healthy substance for detoxification. We have not yet had cholesterol tests. Dr. Kalamadi, the owner and founder of KARE, sat with us and told us many stories about how his life changed for the better when he embraced the Ayurvedic path.

Returning has been a challenging adventure, as we attempt to fit daily yoga practice and Ayurvedic cooking into our lifestyle at home!

Room Tip: We stayed "up the hill" near the library and were quite comfortable.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank kuzbara
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We spent a quality time at Kare Mulshi, its been a wonderful experience in a lot of ways, the people around here know their Job and do it with a great positive zeal. I would recommend this to all, specially the young people to help them achieve a greater understanding of their body improve health and lifestyle.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank sub65
Reviewed 20 September 2013

After a accident which resulted in a lower back "lock" making it painfull & difficult to bend, sit, sleep, etc; I arrived at KARE for an "emergency" treatment schedule over 36 hours which included a specially designed set of yoga exercises coupled with a variety of specially designed ayurvedic hot oil massages.
I am walking upright again and will continue with the exercises and dietary recommendations which were once again specially designed for my body constitution and to improve flexibility and movement.
All the healing coupled with a perfect setting in the hills - in the green - in the clouds!
Not the mention the efficient & knowledgeable Dr.Shetty & the dietician - and last but not least the personal attention of Dr.Prakash Kalmadi and his wife-Ragini.
Highly Recommended!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank Chris D
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I arrived at KARE Health on the 17th of August 2013, didn't know what to expect. Upon arrival we were welcomed by humble and peaceful people with beautiful smiles. Little did I know that my health retreat included Soul retreat:). Th environment heals on its own without the doctors, yoga and meditation is a bonus to my mind body and soul.We made friends because everyone who goes to KARE is full of love and laughter, the team that worked on my body is amazing, the relationship that one develops within myself is beyond expectation. KARE reminded me again that NATURE HEALS, and being surrounded by healers who are full of love and commitment, certainly there is a guarantee that one gets healed. I always wanted to travel to India to Heal, not for yoga only and KARE is the ideal place to be at for body mind and soul healing. I love KARE and I will be going back again next year. To all of you at KARE, you brought me back to life, Madichaba Milosevic

Room Tip: Just stay anywhere cos that's for sleeping, the rest of the time you are outside enjoying the be...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Madichaba
india
Reviewed 21 August 2013 via mobile

Was there for 13 days. The daily schedule of yoga ,massages and diet helped me discover my body and made me feel revitalised and healthy.

However it Rained throughout my stay so would recommend this season to people who like seclusion .

The team is great .you feel like a family .had great time with and made friends with Dr Sucheta. Dr Shetty and Dr Preeti were very helpful

would recommend the place to all

and yes would advice people to practice this style of Yoga with professional teaching when back. As in this style technique is very important ( had a sprained neck for a week which I caught in the 2 nd last day at Kare)

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank grishu
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pune
The Machan
Fort JadhavGADH
Fort JadhavGADH
#1 of 495 in Pune
Hilton Shillim Estate Retreat & Spa

Been to KARE Ayurveda & Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!