“Good but not great!!”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I have been to lot of thali restaurants across the country and following are my observations;

1. This restaurant serves ONLY thali and nothing else.
2. Parking is a major issue and if it is a weekend, then seating is an even bigger issue.
3. I found the food to be very oily......the oil portion could have been toned down in my opinion.
4. The fare served is good but I have had better thalis.

One dish which I found worth mentioning is the DAHI VADA.

1  Thank ajit m

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I have been coming to Sukanta since 2005, its one of the iconic thali restaurants in pune. No doubt that the food is good. I want to comment on the service in this review... I took my parents to Sukanta in May and it was a weekday so the rush was kind of low. But still the waiters were trying to force us to gobble our food. It was a normal experience for me but my parents couldn't eat anything with the waiters hovering on their head. I just wish they would give us time to enjoy such a scrumptious food...

Reviewed 5 June 2014

This restaurant provides excellent meals in the form of thali's, I had never had such good quality food at a restaurant with in long time, this restaurant provides new dishes everytime, If you want to have a full course indian meal I would suggest you give a visit to this restaurant, and the best part is it is pocket friendly!!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Food taste-4/5
Value for money-4/5
Ambiance-3/5

It is a must visit in pune if you have crave for Gujarati food. It is located in main city and they do have parking space for cars. It is usually crowded in weekends with waiting and chairs to wait outside. The food taste is good and lot of variety as you do expect in gujarati and thali food. Service is good with waiters signalling with had to other waiter to explain what you ordered. Menu keeps on changing so that needs to thought of before giving a visit.
They do give pan after the dinner when you exit at doors.

10  Thank deadly_DJ
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I came here on Labour Day to face hundreds of people waiting to eat here. Well, not hundreds but the line was humongous and we dared to put our name on the waiting list. And yes, we waited for 1 hour in the hot afternoon to be able to eat here!

Couldn't get much time to admire the ambiance as it was a hurried entry and we were very hungry, but it was awfully hot inside as the Air Conditioning was probably not working and they had fans put in all directions except ours.
So, I recommend waiting longer, but finding the right place to sit first. It wasn't comfortable eating in such warm and humid conditions, without a fan/AC.

Coming to the food, it seemed like a regular thaali place.
The roti, gud-bhakris, daal, farsans were good.
The sabjis (Aloo, Bhindi, Paneer, Mixed Veg) and welcome drink (jal-jeera) were below-average.
The dahi chaat and aam-ras were amazing. Must try!
Sweet (Mini Churma Ladoo) was a tad too sweet, but nice as well.

Overall, the quality of food was just above average, but for the price of Rs. 250 per thaali, I'd say it makes for a good deal and I'm hopeful that food would be better on other days...

7  Thank rahulajmera