““A very fine business hotel but the poor restaurant management is a major setback””

City Heart Sarovar Portico
Ranked #6 of 34 Hotels in Ludhiana
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 3 consecutive nights from 6th May to 8th May 2014. I found the rooms to be excellent and value for money proposition. The rooms are spacious and relatively quiet despite being bang in the middle of the town. Being a very frequent traveller I look for the small details which make all the difference in how I rate a Hotel.

In this case the one thing I really liked in the room was how the TEA BAGS in the make your own tea sections had been packed in small plastic covers to make them hygienic for use. Normally the individually packed Twining tea bags are more expensive hence normally avoided by the business class hotels. And again as a normal practise the Taj Tea bags are just left on the tray in exposed open condition. I really appreciate that the Hotel took care of this small detail as it is normally the practise to overlook something so insignificant yet so important.

The service standards too were in line with what you would expect from the “SAROVAR” brand.

Coming to the “lows” the only significant blemish was the extremely poor management of the restaurant / coffee shop (where you would head for the breakfast / dinner routine).

It was not that the food suffered any big time quality issues. It was just that the detailing was not paid proper attention to. To put things in perspective here are my grouses -

1. The spread was not exactly lavish it was just about adequate.
2. With the above said the trays / bowls containing the food at the buffet counter should never have run dry but they did and repeatedly. Not only that the intervening periods for refills were irritatingly long.
3. If you are a PURE vegetarian as I am that is not even egg. Then be very cautious with the green dots. Double check if in doubt as there is no responsible person who takes care of this. It is done very casually. I found bakery carrying RED dots for two days and then magically on the third it became GREEN. On double checking and then triple checking the colour was changed to RED.
4. If you are taking the dinner buffet then check whether some snacks are a part as sometimes they serve it and sometimes they don't.
5. Similarly at Breakfast time some south Indian dishes can be requested but not visible. So you will need to check whether they can make Dosa etc. Do not expect the servers to go to each table and ask everyone diligently.
6. Moreover having had dinner for three consecutive nights I found the dishes very monotonous. The hotel could have done better by having some changes in the Menu.

Had the restaurant services been better I would have really had a better time than I did. So final words are – STAY here but keep the option of EATING out.

Room Tip: I stayed at the 5th Floor where the Club rooms are. I recommend these.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank SanjaySharma_69
SPLLudhiana, General Manager at City Heart Sarovar Portico, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear Mr Sharma

Greetings from City Heart Sarovar Portico, Ludhiana

We appreciate you for taking time out to share your experience with all.

Thank you for your positive comments, We are glad that you liked our Hotel.

We take all feedback seriously, and have shared your valuable comments with the relevant teams.
I assure you of a better experience next time.

We sincerely await the opportunity to welcome you once again.

Regards

Anurag Singh Chauhan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Rooms:Stayed in twin sharing room,the mere size was so impressive and wonderful.Rooms were clean ,tidy and very nicely done,ambiance is very beautiful. I love to stay at this place again
Staff:Nice and friendly
Stay:For business purpose very nice but no great amenities,Gym is too small and no pool as such.
Stayed during Navratras:Thali was cheap but tasted average,But Lassi was soooo good.
Stay:Overall good place as walking distance from Choda bazaar,Railway station and rest of city.

Room Tip: Higher Floor
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank AbhishekM14
SPLLudhiana, General Manager at City Heart Sarovar Portico, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Mr Abhishek,

Thank you for your positive comments. We are glad that you liked our Hotel and the team made your stay comfortable. Your encouraging comments will help us do better.

We look forward to welcome you back soon.

Anurag S. Chauhan
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I had stayed in this hotel for a couple days mostly for business purpose. The hotel location is very badly placed around the railway station and also opposite to a beer bar which makes it very unsuitable for womens. Due to its shady location its very unsafe for womens. The room of the hotel are good and food provided is also fine. The hotel staff is very poor in hospitality and room service. the hotel staff is not that well trained due to which customer have to suffer many times. Cost wise its definately a good option however i would not recommend this hotel for staying.

Room Tip: Higher floors might be good however no such preferences
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank sss1234558
Rahul S, General Manager at City Heart Sarovar Portico, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I am personally dismayed to know of the incidents which affected your pleasant stay at City Heart Sarovar Portico, Ludhiana

We will certainly take necessary corrective measures and we will do our best to delight you, should you give us the opportunity in future.

Safety and security of our guest is of utmost importance to us and we assure you that we take all measures to ensure guests are safe and secure at the Hotel

We look forward to welcoming you back at City Heart Sarovar Portico, Ludhiana

Mumbai
Reviewed 1 March 2014

A business trip in Ludhiana for 4 Nights and after a lot of searching on TripAdvisor portal...the decent option was City Heart Sarovar Portico ... and I finalised my booking via 'Make My Trip; website. The final charges after adding taxes and reducing some offers and discount came to 15,800 Rs i.e. around 4000 Rs per night ...inclusive of complimentary breakfast.

I reached Ludhiana at around 12:30. The hotel is just 1 KM away from Ludhiana railway station and for a change i took a cycle rickshaw (just for the fun to see how it feels) at a nominal cost of Rs 20. The weather was very pleasant and the 15 minutes odd cycle-rickshaw drive in maddening traffic was still nice and enjoyable.... i guess.... due to the pleasant cold climate.

My check-in was ultra fast. I handed over the hotel booking voucher, my visiting card and my aadhar card and the receptionist handed over my key in 3-4 minutes. I was given room no 103.

The room was very spacious and gave a nice clean fresh feeling.
The 2 important points for me to make me like my stay in a hotel is normally based on the vibes and feeling i get (a) when i enter inside hotel and (b) when I enter inside the room.
The reception lounge (though simple) and the spacious clean nice room gave me very positive vibes and i became certain that I would enjoy my stay here............

The buffet dining room is at the ground floor. The buffet menu spread was adequate....salads, 1 soup, main course a combination of 2 Chinese dishes and other standard north Indian cuisine i.e. 1 dal, 2 subjis, rice, and a choice of Indian breads. The dessert spread also had 4-5 options. The breakfast menu spread was also sufficient for selections consisting of 2-3 south Indian dishes, 1 north Indian combination of either paratha-subji or puri subji and standard continental options of breads and corn flakes etc..... not to forget the fresh fruit cuts.

Regretfully i will not be able to rate the taste as up to satisfying levels for the following reasons....(1) South Indian Breakfast items needs to have a little more south Indian taste. The idli was so-so. The medu wadas were fairly ok. Coconut chati was missing on the day I chose to take south Indian cuisine option. But the main dissatisfaction is from the lunch and dinner cuisines! The chine vegetables (all 4 days) had extra thin watery gravy! The punjabi cuisines taste was fairly good but 2 days that i went in for dinner at around 9:15 or so.... the food had gone in between luke warm and cold. The sabjis 5 minutes later on my plate...were absolutely cold, I did feel that to show this to the hotel manager but did not as was too occupied mentally with my pending work issues.

The sleep quality was excellent. The in-room mini bar allowed me offer my friend guest ... nice beer. The study table gave great comfort while working on my laptop. Had a lot of channel options and did enjoy seeing the serials i normally don't miss i.e. 'Poirot' and 'Castle'.

The bathroom size is compact but nicely done with an enclosed shower room. The hot shower (and the water had good pressure) in the morning was very soothing and energized me to start the day! There was one other major issue and i feel that if the management reads this review, they should check and if found true...should take corrective measures! All the days in the morning.. the HOT water from wash basin tap gushed out along with some tiny black stone particles which visibly settled on the basin floor! I avoided hot water from the wash basin tap for gargling and rinsing. The cold water though was clean. I guess this stone-mud is either from the boiler which heats the water or from rusted pipes! Anyway the cold water was clean and hence no issues!

The staff was courteous and friendly except the fact ... that the door gatekeeper did not offer me assistance with my bag when I walked in. At an hindsight i do feel that his job is to guard the entrance and not that of a bell boy..... but accustomed to such luxuries offered by other similar level hotel.... i guess either my ego was hurt or i may have got spoiled by this bad habit......

The room service was very prompt and the food served in room service was good...except of course the thin water like gravy of a Chinese vegetable !

The hotel is in middle of a hustle-bustle market so do not expect gardens and pools! The advantage is you are in the center of the city and makes going to any place easy and quick.

I would definitely like to come back again. I would have given it all 5 stars had the food quality been up to a standard and the hot water in wash basin not been small stone mixed.

Overall a very good stay,

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Pinesh
Dear Guest,

We do appreciate you taking time out to share with us your experience while at our hotel.
We take all feedback seriously, and have shared your valuable feedback with the relevant teams to assure you of a better experience the next time.
We sincerely await the opportunity to welcome you once again.

Best Regards,
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

The hotel is very good. fantastic place to live, ambiance is very beautiful rooms are big and very much decorated. I love to stay at this place again. There is a gymnasium in the basement in good and working condition. The food quality is good. Only negative about this place is that the rent is on bit higher side and the outside traffic noice may give you some problem while sleep.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank AbhishekPandit
Dear Valued Guest

We are delighted that you had a great experience while here at JW Marriott Mumbai.

Our first priority are our guests and I am glad to note that we met your expectations. Our endeavor is to offer comfort with good service and product to all our guests.

I look forward to welcome you back to our hotel.

With best regards
General Manger
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We had recently visited Kila Raipur to attend the Rural Olympics and stayed in this property for 2 nights.

It is right in the heart of the city near the Clock Tower. The room and big and nicely done.

The food is good but the fish tikkas are to die for.

My only regret is the Wifi in the Hotel which is erratic but as a whole 3G in Ludhiana is a joke considering it is Mittal's hometown. So I am going to give the benefit of doubt to the Hotel and still recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments. We are glad that the team made your stay comfortable. Your encouraging comments will help us do better.

We have taken a note of your feedback about the Wi Fi services and we shall be working towards improvements on the same

My Kitchen team is delighted to know that you liked some of our food preparations

We look forward to welcome you back soon.

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Stayed in this hotel during my last two visits to Ludhiana. Its a small sized business hotel - with one restaurant that serves all meals. The rooms are nice and spacious and value for money. The only down side is that it located close to the railway station and old market - which makes it a very busy road. However that location is convenient for commuting in Ludhiana.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Rahul S, General Manager at City Heart Sarovar Portico, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear Guest
We are delighted that you had a great experience while here at City Heart Sarovar Portico.

Our first priority is our guests and I am glad to note that we met your expectations. Our endeavor is to offer comfort with good service and product to all our guests.

I look forward to welcome you back to our hotel.

With best regards