Message from TripAdvisor:
TripAdvisor has grounds to investigate that individuals or entities associated with or having an interest in this property may have attempted to interfere with traveller reviews and/or the Popularity Index for this property. Please take this into consideration when researching your travel plans. We make our best efforts to identify suspicious content and are always working to improve the processes we use to assess traveller reviews.

“Rooms good value but tours overpriced”
Review of Hotel Deep Mahal

Hotel Deep Mahal
Ranked #128 of 159 B&Bs / Inns in Jaisalmer
Reviewed 26 April 2012

We arranged to stay at Hotel Deep Mahal from Jodphur. They picked us up at 5am from the train station when we arrived and the room was ready for us to use straight away which is a definite bonus. Room was nice and good value, however the tours they try and sell are incredibly overpriced compared to what you can get elsewhere in Jaisalmer. We shopped around and found one for half the price. Also did not like the manner of attempting to sell the camel safari tour, Johnny sat us down and wouldn't give us a price until he had talked through every detail, even though we repeatedly asked for it. Staff weren't unpleasant when they realised we had booked elsewhere but they definitely weren't as friendly. I would say worth staying at the hotel because of the room price and early morning station pickup, but book the camel safari tour elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LauraB02

Reviewed 21 April 2012

We stayed at the hotel deep mahal for 3 nights. Amazing holiday this hotel no doubt is a structural marvel and has an amazing ambience, especially when one enters the hotel. The staff was very hospitable too. Comfortable, clean, big rooms.. Free WiFi  was good children had a great time. The terrace up top is a winner - breathtaking views of the jain temple where you can enjoy delicious meals at any time, the restaurant staff went out of the way to make special dishes.

Blissful desert experience here too. Friendly owner who helped advise us on sites to see and tailored our dessert safari to our specific requirements. We went 2 nights 3 day camel safari with deep mahal. We never saw another group or road, slept at the sand dunes, and met villagers. The guides were incredibly friendly, so knowledgeable and helpful especially matar and rahman. The food was outstanding vegetarian。 food cooked fresh on an open fire. I think this was possibly the best food I've had in India so far. We never went hungry or thirsty on this safari. The night, at the big dunes, we were even presently surprised when out of nowhere。。 incredibly。… It was honesty one of the best memories highlights in my 2 months in India, I am so glad I made the decision to do with deep mahal. After, I compared my safari experience with others who went with different middle cheap camel safari operator companies [like Ganesh, trotter, adventure etc.] and it seemed that deep mahal had the best camel driver, food and service.

If I return to Jaisalmer Hotel deep mahal will be my "home".

Room Tip: room no.103
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank ali k
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Nice hotel, clean rooms but no hot water.. Staff deceptive, Safari Way overpriced! Ugly landscape littered with windmills and pylons! Guide refused to pad the saddles when we asked.. painful ride until we met another safari which where all sitting on cushions! We paid for 3 days but they where busy getting us off the camels at noon for the next clients, the guide left us in the desert waiting for the Jeep, while he galloped off with his camels into the horizon to collect the next clients on our payed day!!

don't do the Camel Safari with Deep Mahal, we learned later it's better to start much further out for better prices, nicer landscape, better guides and food....

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank AnsW_12
Reviewed 3 April 2012

There's a reason why the rooms are so cheap here...It's because they sell very expensive camel safaris. They will definitely smooth talk you into the "Off the beaten track" safari. Talk to another safari operator before committing at this place so you can get a reasonable price. I was also quoted a bus ticket price which was far too expensive.

Cool place, cool camel safaris,just don't let them rip you off; They're good at it.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank orchida3
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Jaisalmer fort. An old fort converted into hotels with a magical atmosphere. We had a wonderful time in hotel deep mahal. All the rooms are beautiful, but especially the wonderful temple room. Three basic requirements of any traveler: Clean bed-linen, clean bathroom and good food—are met honestly in deep mahal. The Hotel owner Yogie made us feel like home, thank you!
Our room was spacious, lovely and clean fabulously decor in Rajasthan style, with living space and most important bathroom was wonderful very big and spotless (I have found this very limited in India's hotels). the subtle fragrance of Lemon Grass all over the place. Make you fresher all the time.
Our stay was mead memorable by the excellent hospitality shown by the staff. The staff is great and very courteous and makes you feel completely at home. The breakfast spread has a good variety and is delicious. The ambience gives you the fine feeling in hotel. You don't only feel fine, you feel like at sweet home.
Private activities were also arranged by hotel, including Excellent Camel safari with camping in Desert (in a peace full area), romantic dinner in the desert, and chai[tea] time in the desert with a sunrise view. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank takashi75
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Got a recommendation for these guys from another traveller in Jodhpur, called them the night before I was to arrive in Jaisalmer and they said that they would pick me up from the bus station and that I could get a single room for Rs. 200. Refused to discuss camel safari prices on the phone, saying they would show me options the next morning and we would discuss then. I made clear in this conversation that I was NOT committing to anything before I knew the itinerary and price.
Picked me up at 4, took me to the hotel - there were no singles available, so I got a beautiful double room - they said it was normally Rs. 800 but they would give it to me for 200, and that there was a lady checking out of one of the singles the next morning and to be there at 9 am to move in and discuss the safari.
Went down at 9 am - no management around, just a kitchen boy who had no idea about the rooms, and saw another traveller checking in to the single I was supposed to take. I was told that the manager would be by soon and went for a walk.
No manager at 10...
No manager at 11...
No manager at 12...the kitchen boy tried calling the manager - no pick up 3 times.
At this point I got sick of waiting and wasting my time and booked a safari for the next morning with Trotters, a company that someone else had recommended to me. I was pretty ticked off as if I had known it would be such an ordeal with the Deep Mahal, I would've booked a safari with Trotters for that very morning.
At 2 I got back to the hotel, and the manager was then ready to discuss a safari. I informed him of my tour with Trotters, and he started shouting at me about "giving other people his business." Tried to explain calmly that I waited for him all morning - shrugged it off and said he was busy. Ignored the fact that we had an appointment.
At this point he told me that he was not going to move me to the single room and told me to check out.
Got my bag, dropped 200 rupees on the floor in front of him (a bit rude I know but I was pretty peeved at him being discourteous after making me WAIT for 4 hours and lose a day out of a pretty tightly packed trip), and told him - Operate like an amateur, be paid like an amateur.

Go to this hotel for the rooms if you'd like, but make absolutely clear that you are not interested in safaris - there are many better operators around town.

Room Tip: Try to get the double room on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank Karan K
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights recently with 7 other friends and really felt at home. The room was HUGE, clean, modern bathroom with 24 hour hot water and really good free internet connection. The breakfast was very good the optional dinner was delicious, plus it also gave us a chance to chat with the home stays other guests. The staff is super friendly and extreme helpful. This was the perfect place to rest up at the end of some very busy days in India. Great hospitality.
We had 2 night/ three day camel safari with deep mahal and have had such a fantastic time. It's professionally-run organization. They do much more than require. a lot of entertainment, good service, guys always helped out there. Even in desert, in the middle of nowhere you can have lots of fun with delicious meals. Highly recommended

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends