““Heaven in the heart of the desert..!!!””

The Surya Restaurant
Ranked #25 of 199 Restaurants in Jaisalmer
Price range: US$30 - US$700
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I am glad we took the decision to stay here as coming from a city life I wanted a little peace. Jaisalmer is just an hour or maybe less away so the place is ideally located. It takes about 3 hours to see Jaisalmer. So you can come back to the resort and if you want peace you can acquire it here. The resort has different categories of rooms. There are tents, cottages and huts. There is a lot of space its not cramped up. If your traveling with kids it great as take their out door toys,they can go for a walk with Gulab singh to the farm and learn a lot. Thank god no tv's in the room. it was great seeing kids move out and learn a lot. The food. The food I say again is the best part. The hotel is a family run resort with the owners there to be hospitable to you at any time. I loved the lal maas,best I have ever had. The variety of traditional non veg food I never heard of also. My kids were happy as every day with the meals they serve something for kids also. We could resist the pool so inspite of the cold we went for a dip. Don't expect too much but its comfortable,beautiful and is still growing. The staff and family is always there to be of help. I love places like this where I can mix with the locals. Do not miss the camel safari. The resort takes you to their private dunes. Tea is basic with pakoras and sandwiches. If you pre order you can enjoy some wine while the sun goes down. Mirvana over all an amazing vacation. Thank you. Special thanks to the owner and his daughters for making it a memorable one. Will visit this place soon for sure.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

Very nice place with an excelent view of the city. It has kind of a hippie style that feels very good and comfortable. The owner was very nice with us and gave us lots of turistic tips.
The food was nice too and not too expensive. The masala chai was great, by the way.

Reviewed 23 March 2013

We were escorted to the Surya Restaurant by our guide in Jaisalmer - up very steep, difficult steps and in to a quaint and interestingly set up place to eat, with guests squashed in to tiny low tables while they lolled about on carpets and in the window seat connecting the restaurant on the edge of the fort to the majestic view to the surrounding settlement.
Right where we sat was a proudly displayed photocopy of a reference a European girl had written several years ago saying how much she liked the place and how entertaining the host was.
There was no arguing with the magnificent location and the cosy atmosphere, making it very easy for you to strike up conversations with other travellers.
We were not impressed with the cooking - the chicken was inedible, not at all cooked and tasted strange, but the waiter/proprietor insisted it was just freshly killed.
But that didn't seem to matter as there was enough "safe" food - rice, dessert, salad - to eat to get over the bad meat and really the atmosphere was the amazing experience that meant even though we did't like the food we would go there again for sure. But next trip. Once "bitten" with bad chicke, twice shy this time.

1  Thank Roslyn T
Reviewed 7 February 2013

we came 2 times and the food was excellent and the place well decorated. It was nice to chat with the owner.

Reviewed 24 January 2013 via mobile

Having waited an hour for food to arrive we were served cold, stale and flavourless food which we didn't eat. Chicken was chewy, the dopiaza was bland and flavourless and the naan was not like any naan I have had before. I would avoid eating at this place

3  Thank Dizzle-Bizzle