“Unforgettable Desert Experience”

Winds Desert Camp
New Delhi, India
“Unforgettable Desert Experience”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I went to the camp in Dec 2013.. Trust me it was the most memorable experience of our trip. Would highly recommend this place to everyone who wants to stay away from the hustle & bustle of the big cities. The Accommodation, Camel Safari, Bonfire, Cultural Program, Food was simply out of the world (far better than 5 star hotels in the city). I was there to celebrate my husband's bday. Thanks to the entire team of Winds Desert Camp for making my husband's bday a special one. Yes they did arrange for lovely flowers & cake and the entire staff was awake to wish my husband at sharp 12. Imagine cutting the cake in the middle of the desert, under the beautiful sky and with lots of lovely people around..One couldnt have asked for more...Will be back soon to the same place to have a good time. All the best to the Staff. Cheers :)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank asmitabarmase

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We had a wonderful memorable experience at Winds Desert Camp. Accommodations and amenities are solid, as expected from a top-rated property: clean tents with wooden floors, hot shower, nice netted terrace so you can even sleep outside. What made it special for us was positive and smart energy of the staff, especially the manager Yunus Khan. They think about what you will need, and when you should have it – when we came tired from safari, they waited with tea, coffee and cookies, and then gently escorted the guests to the show area. We enjoyed enthusiastic and beautiful dancers, and energetic singers. The dinner is served in a big, clean and well-lit tent, so you can actually see what you are eating. Good variety of tasty food choices, especially for vegetarians.

Camel safari in sand dunes is interesting, especially if you never tried riding the camel before. But we mostly enjoyed the sunrise jeep safari – I had to hold for my life in the open jeep, while our jolly fearless driver was speeding up the vertical dunes. The sunrise photos were beyond words, we never saw such skies in India before.

Tip: if you are feeling too lazy for a safari, just step outside of the camp, to immediately enjoy the desert landscape without the drive. Lots of free roaming camels not scared by humans, another exotic photo opportunity without a hassle.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KaterinaJw
WindsDesertCamp, Owner at Winds Desert Camp, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Winds desert camp jaisalmer and for sharing your feedback through TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to note that you had a wonderful experience and that you were happy with our service and facilities. Your feedback is very encouraging and will motivate us to strive harder towards excellence.

Thank you for recommending Winds desert camp We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.

Kind regards
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

Though check-in was around 3PM, we arrived early around mid-day. We were greeted by the man who we later found out, runs the place. We were shown to our tent and asked if we'd had any lunch yet.

We hadn't had lunch and they weren't ready for us so early. So, they said they'd see if they could cook something up for us. My wife and I were finally inside our tent and it was quite hot out so we appreciated the shade.

Upon entering our tent however, we realized that we were in for a treat. The room was very clean, had a nice comfy bed and air-conditioning. We were just settling in when a member of the staff was at the entrance to our tent. He was carrying a tray with Rice, roti and 4 different curries. I exclaimed "I thought you didn't have food ready"? He replied "Sorry, this is all we could prepare on such short notice".

Needless to say I was taken aback and the food turned out to be some of the most delicious food I've eaten in Rajasthan. Over the duration of spend at the Winds Desert camp, this is what I came to realize.

- There are only about 3-4 people who run the place.
- They will bend over backwards to make you comfortable and happy.
- They will feed you so much delicious food that you'll feel like you are at your grandma's house.
- The staff has a genuine caring attitude which leaves us tourists in good spirits.
- The performances at night by the Rajasthani folk singers and dancers is very entertaining.
- The camel safari is heaps of fun but it gets quite crowded at sunset.
- Not to conform to cliche but they are an Oasis in the desert.

Overall I left feeling as if I was leaving a family run b&b where I would miss the characters and food. I would definitely recommend Winds to couples or big groups. It has the advantage of being far away from the resort style 100 tent setups that we drove past.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ravstaa

Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I had thought that I will share my experience right after the trip but got significantly delayed coz of my professional commitments. First things first, I would highly recommend this camp if you pan to spend a night in the surrounds of the Sam sand dune. Not only was the experince fantastic, the hospitality was fabulous and the food outstanding.
Experience: My wife and I spent an evening in the camp and took to camel rides in the nearby dunes. This was our first desert experience and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The bonfire and cultural programme in the evening was excellent and so was the accomodation and surroundings. I will definitely visit again.
Hospitality: The staff was extremely courteous and went out of the way to help. I had missed carrying enough cash(typical card dependent city dweller) but my concerns were immediately taken care by the camp staff. My special thanks to Mr Deependra who was extremely helpful in arranging a trip to the nearby ATM (7-8 kms in the desert). I am happy that we struck a good friendship and he was able to help us with a few more requests. Overall pleasantly surprised by the level of comfort he was able to put us at. Much appreciate.
Food: Mouth-watering is the word. I mostly prefer non-vegetarian but the vegetarian items in the menu took me and my wife by surprise. It was by far amongst the very best of vegetarian food that I have had and that too in the middle of nowhere. Once again brilliant.

Overall I think it was a wonderful day spent at the camp. We made new friends from the camp on our way back and thoroughly enjoyed the stay. Highly recommended.
Cheers!

Room Tip: Plan in advance. Communicate clearly what you need.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aniruddha15

New Delhi, India
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We were 8 friends stayed in winds desert camp. The camp location is good but 3 4 kms away from sam sand dunes but not difficult to reach. The tents are clean and spacious with basic amenities clean bed and bathroom. Behavior of staff is very courteous. Mr. Dheeraj is nice guy. Even though we had booked air fan tents, he had given ac tents. Food was not that delicious (Dinner). Food quality can be improved. Not much options for Non vegetarians. Breakfast was good with variety. The package included Camel Safari,Tea with snacks,Rajasthani Folk performance,dinner and breakfast. Overall nice experience.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank sudhakar6633
WindsDesertCamp, Owner at Winds Desert Camp, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Winds Desert camp and for sharing your feedback through TripAdvisor.

We have taken action and will definitely improve non veg dish in Dinner .Your feedback is very encouraging and will motivate us to strive harder towards excellence.

Thank you for recommending Winds Desert camp Jaisalmer We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I stayed in wind desest camp along with by girl friend in last week of Jan'14. As soon as we reached Jaiselmer we hired a three wheeler to reach the place ( much cheaper, 300INR, than cabs) , though we reched early than scheduled booking we were given accomodation and breakfast at no extra cost. The place it self is beautiful managed by ex-armyman, for miles you can stare into nothing. The tents are clean with basic amenities (clean bed and bathroom with geyser). But as we reached early there is nothing to do in the morning time as it is very hot outside even in winter season. After 4 they took incharge of our itinery. camel ride sollowed by high tea, cultural programmes and dinner. As summarized by others everything is beautiful and you will be in love with the place. For some time you completely forget about the modern electronics and vehicles that we have been dependent on so much. Overall nice experience but food quality can be improved. Not much options for Non vegetarians, but food was never the selling point.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank abhidfreak
Dear Guest,

We have taken action and will definitely add non veg dish in Dinner .Your feedback is very encouraging and will motivate us to strive harder towards excellence.

Hyderabad, India
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Well done Team Winds!!!.Myself with wife stayed there for couple of days in the first week of Mar 2014.The tent was very spacious and clean .The package included Camel Safari,Tea with snacks,Rajasthani Folk performance,dinner and breakfast.The hospitality of the team was excellent.As per our request they arranged our pick up from Railway station and sight seeing in Jaisalmer...Once again spacial thanks to Dipendra and team for the memorable holiday .Tripadvisor helped us very much for selecting this wonderful stay.... Thank u so much
Kashyap

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank KashyapChandran
WindsDesertCamp, Manager at Winds Desert Camp, responded to this review, 23 March 2014

Dilip Singh