“Terrible”
Review of Hotel Golden City

Hotel Golden City
Ranked #60 of 108 Hotels in Jaisalmer
Reviewed 15 May 2013 via mobile

I'm so grumpy I don't actually know what to say or where to start!
Worst hotel I have ever been to!
The pool is like a swamp!!
You can't see the bottom!
There are empty bottles floating in it.
I wouldn't let a stray dog in it let alone my toe!
The room........... !!!
We where quoted 1200 by email but after asking for the best price we where quoted 750. Which from the OLD pictures I thought was a bargain....
It was not!
I wouldn't pay more than 200 for this room.
Someone had clearly wee'd in the corner as it stank of urin!
The shower was so covered in limescale it barley worked.
There was someone else's hair everywhere!!
The ac looked like it would electrocute you!
The "roof garden resturant"!! All they had was plain toast that they charged us 50 for 4 slices!
There is extensive building work going on in the area so it is not quiet or a pleasant area to be in.
After one night we decided we wanted to leave.
The manager told us there where no buses or trains that day to Delhi and that we would have to stay another night......
And that we should go on his camel safari for 2500 each.... This then started dropping as soon as we said no.
We asked him to book a train for the next day. We then went for a walk round the fort (which stinks of rat wee by the way!! )
We then returned to find he had done nothing....
He then mentioned there was a newer hotel with a nice pool.
After 3 hours!!! We managed to get him to arrange for us to be taken there.
Do not stay here .

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank lucy p
There are newer reviews for Hotel Golden City

Reviewed 9 May 2013

When I arrive the guest house , I ask the guest house manager about the camel safari . He quoted me 8000 rupee for a one night camel safari. After that he Start telling me that they have girls coming along for the trip. I was totally pressure by the manager to make a decision. He keep emphasizing that he need to make the necassary arrangement for the permit . After sometime I started to feel something was not right as the guidebook mention a safari would cost around 1000 rupees . Then the manager started lower the price to 5000 which included the safari , a day trip around the city and the room . I was totally turn off so I decided to go to the nearby tourist office and enquired more information . Before i left the guest house , he dramatic reduce the price to 2000 rupee from a Intial of 8000. I went to tourist office And was quoted 250 rupee person for a evening sunset car trip which requires minium of 4 person . After that I went to Sahara travel and was quoted 1200 rupee for an one night camel safari trip.i immediately took the offer and went back the guest house and Take my backpack.From a initial 8k to 5 k and to 2 k , this golden city hotel are out to take advantage of traveller who didn't do a proper research . My suggestion is yes , you can stay in the hotel but please do not take up a camel package from golden city hotel .

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Daddypal
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Stayed in the hotel a few weeks back with my fiance and the owner/manager did nothing but try and make sure we had a good time. We got there after a long train (the hotel arranged FREE Pick up) and was hungry so went straight up for food on the roof. We looked around and was not impressed with the roof (although amazing view of the though) so didnt have much hope for the food. However the food was really good and suprised both of us.

We was lucky enough to have a room with a balcony and swimming pool view. The owner also booked us a safari camel ride which we enjoyed. We then was lucky enough to be moved to there new hotel which was amazing and we was treated very well.

The owner moto is "if your happy, then im happy" and we was happy.

Thanks,

Room Tip: ask for pool view
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mitchell S
Reviewed 6 April 2013

Stayed in January with family. We had booked through email and faced no problem checking-in. The resturant staff extremely efficiently served us lunch within 15minutes as it was 3pm and our young kids were ravishingly hungry. Everyone else was also helpful and we have no specific complains.Personally it felt more like a hostel than a hotel. But it is adequate for lone travellers or young couples, even if not the best place for families.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 March 2013 via mobile

Anbefaling af hotel

We are two girl who came to jaisalmer for the camel safari. We stayed at hotel golden city and were very happy about our stay. The staff is very kind, helpful and friendly and they do what ever they can to fulfill your desires. The hotel is nice, clean and the rooms are big and you have your own bathroom. There is a nice pool and the rooftop restaurant is very nice with very good food. :-) we went on a three days safari, arranged from the hotel and it was an amazing experience - one of the most beautiful and amazing things that we have done here in India. Our guide in the safari was very good. He did whatever he could to please us and we didn't have to do anything.
One of us got really sick, and the manager was very thoughtful. He came and asked if everything was alright and said that we should just ask if we needed anything. We loved our time here in jaisalmer and would definetly stay here again if/when we go back to jaisalmer

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Nice view of the fortress. Friendly staff. Clean and confortable. Not too far from the centre. Quiet and good value. Nice restaurant on the roof. Wi-fi service and pool. Not all the hotels in jaisalmer ar sooo nice.
The rooms are wl eqiped, some of them have balcony to the patio with swimming pool.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 17 January 2013

We found this hotel as our driver was driving around looking for rooms or us. We paid RS500, per night for a double room. Quite small, with small bathroom in the room. Not much space for storage, or any surfaces, but perfect for our 2 night stay. There's wifi, but it didnt quite reach our room, so I say outside the door when I needed it. Hot water in the showers is only available in the morning but they'll bring you a bucket of hot water in the evening of you need it. Our room overlooked the pool, which looked quite grubby, but it was too cold for a swim so we weren't bothered. Location is good, lots of shops and restaurants near by. Clamber over the sewage in the streets and dodge a few cows and you're away! I'd recommend for a short good value for money stay. :-)

• Stayed: January 2013