“Perfect location”

Ranked #13 of 104 Hotels in Jaisalmer
Greece
“Perfect location”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Beautiful view on the Fort! Beautiful rooftop with therestaurant, useable the whole day are great! Clean and nice rooms with warm water 24h with pressure! Very nice stuff at reception and restaurant! Had a room without view but would take it again, no doubt!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Katoomba, Australia
Reviewed 16 August 2014

My stay at Shahi Palace was one of the most memorable of my trip to India. With beautiful views of the fort from the roof top, well appointed Haveli style rooms and a restaurant with excellent food it really is a great place to stay. But the highlight is the staff. They are so welcoming and by the end of your stay it feels like you are leaving friends. Sitting on their rooftop sipping a cold beer and watching the fort light up as the sun sets is a travel experience you will never forget. Also, many people encourage you to stay in the fort, but this is actually ecologically unsound, as the extra tourism in the fort is damaging the fort and their are people in Jaisalmer trying to conserve it despite this damage. So by staying at Shahi Palace you also become a conservationist!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

So from the outset I will say I loved this hotel - the room, the furnishing and the food. All very agreeable and I would recommend on all these areas. So why three stars? I suppose it comes down to service... The "old management" were spot on - experienced, polite and convivial (no complaints here) my issues lie with "young management". From the first time I ate at the restaurant I was asked in one way or another for my email/phone number by the younger staff as a way of befriending me - quite annoying at times but this soon stopped when "old management" showed up a day later. Also, I took the camel trek through the hotel which was really enjoyable. At the end when the young driver came to pick me up, despite having little Hindi, I was fully aware that he asked the guide if I had tipped him (which I hadn't at that point). On the drive home I got asked about my salary and told about how little the younger driver gets paid in his job - uncomfortable to say the least - so, despite considering myself a good 'tipper', I didn't tip (having already tipped the guide by this point) which seemed to annoy the driver even more. I felt his annoyance a little further when I came to get my auto to the station that evening. In the absence of "old management" the "young management" plus my driver from earlier were in charge of arranging my transport. They watched television as I waited and waited for the auto to arrive as the time ticked by. As they realised it was getting late a couple jumped on their bikes and tried to get an auto for me off the street but in truth I was so dismayed by the lack of professionalism of this younger generation I had hailed my own and was well in my way. What a shame - especially as "old management" had been so kind as to give me a room for the evening after I returned from my trek. A real case of the younger generation letting down the experience of the older generation. Good luck.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank blakelockb
digitaljaisalmer, Manager at Hotel Shahi Palace, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
We are sorry to hear that you were not completely happy with your stay and in particular some of our younger staff. We are a family run hotel and up until the last couple of years myself and my three brothers have been running the hotel. As our children are getting older they have been getting involved in the running of the hotels and safaris. They are working for two years now to this business and we are slowly teaching them the ropes. The drivers/safari staff we use do not ask for tips as we pay them a fee and they do not need to rely on tips. We've been using them for 5 years and they know that the guests comfort is their priority. It is apparent that our hotel staff needs further training in regards to guest relations. I have spoken to all our staff about the appropriateness of questions asked of our guests. I have also spoken to the driver (who was new) and guide in regards to expectations in regards to tipping. We have always maintained a policy that tipping is optional and it is up to the guests as to how and when they do this. Once again we are sorry that you were not happy with some aspects of your stay. We hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future.
Yours sincerely,
Dev
Thimphu, Bhutan
Reviewed 12 August 2014

After several weeks of traveling India, with plenty of experience to aid comparison, Shahi Palace is by far the best hotel at which me and my wife stayed. The staff are understanding, genuinely helpful people. The room with a view that we had was both rustic/traditional and my wife (who has an interior design streak) was extremely impressed by the decor. The only drawback to other rooms was lack of natural light but they are all nevertheless beautiful and a needed sanctuary in the midst of the desert town. The restaurant on the roof gives seriously indulgent views and perhaps even the best food we've had so far and even offers classes. The camel safari they arranged for us is also recommended. The entire establishment was clean, beautiful, calm and made our stay in Jaisalmer stand out as significantly better than any that came before! Good AC, wifi, bathrooms, prices, people, service, food etc. etc. etc.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank RumDiary82
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night at the hotel and we found a very nice and friendly welcome. The rooms are all made in ocher stone, also the bed:) and this introduces the visitor in the Jaisalmer desert atmosphere. There are different kind of room, with balcony or not, pink or blue, single or double.
The rooftop with the view in front of the Jaisalmer fort is one of the best thing of the accommodation. It allows the visitor to chill out outside if it's not too cold and for the hottest days there is a bright room from which to see the fort at the ACs air. We had dinner there and we enjoyed a lot. Dishes are ok, but we do not recommend the pizza if u want to eat an Italian pizza.
DEV is the owner of the hotel and he's friendly and helpful as all the other people there.
The hotel gives us the possibility to do a non-tourist safari in the desert at an affordable price. It varies between 1700 and 2100 INR depending if to visit some monuments before the safari or not.
We highly recommend it because it is such a great experience also as having the possibility to talk with local people, the "camel driver", through the desert.
We found totally at ease in the shahi palace atmosphere.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Valeria S
Hyderabad
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This hotel is a nice and economical option to stay just outside the fort area. The service is fantastic and the people are super helpful. The rooftop restaurant offers a wide choice of cuisines, provided by a very versativel cook. The rooftop offers great views of the "Sonar Kella" (Golden Fort). They also run a very good jeep + camel safari into the dunes. Note that this is not a high-end resort type place - it is a small hotel in a residential area of the town. So the location is in an area that is not very well maintained by the Jaisalmer town municipality and has problems with litter, open drains etc. So please have realistic expectations. However the place is walking distance from the fort, the restaurants and city facilities (ATMs, Medical etc). And the manager and staff will take very good care of you, are very accommodating, provide you lots of options for tourism and make your visit a very enjoyable one.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The hotel is very ethnic flavor and gets a high cost performance ! It is very clean and service is very good. They picked us up from railway station for free at 5AM ! And nice boss cooks the most delicious Mutton in India I think !I miss the hotel and boss and Mutton very much! Can I speak in Chinese?! 到达旅馆的时候,上来了好喝的MASALA TEA!还有Mango lassi!都是盛情款待的for free 噢!离开Jailsmer的时候,老板好贴心的给我们准备了矿泉水作为GIFT,然后TUTUK免费送到的火车站。我觉得酒香就应该全世界都知道!老板还给我们推荐了JAIPUR的Hotel,可惜到的时候满房了,Hotel 一看就跟周围的与众不同,好多花儿,淡季都能满房啊亲!! 老板品味挺高的,关键性价比不错啊啊!!因为雨季,只看了SUNSIRE,等着十月份住沙漠数星星!

• Stayed July 2014