“Great Stay, the staff made it even better” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Shahi Palace

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hotel Shahi Palace
Ranked #14 of 103 Hotels in Jaisalmer
“Great Stay, the staff made it even better”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Surprise!! Surprise!!.. Did not ask for a Pick-up, but they still sent someone over. Free pick-up? even if you dint ask for it? that is some service, ha?

The hotel is just outside the fort, and has well maintained, clean rooms.

They also arranged for a camel safari, and cab to go around in the town. Everything was well organized and taken care of during the safari, very happy with the whole experience.

Spend at least one evening on the roof top lounging.

The staff is super helpful, makes the stay even better.

Room Tip: Choose rooms on 1st floor or above for a good view of the fort.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank AnandMR

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Wow! Shahi Palace is the best place to stay in Jaisalmer for sure. Breathtaking!!!
Not only because of the great location with the most awesome fort view, from the roof top it feels like a feary tail: you shouldn't leave Jaisalmer without spending a sunset up there experiencing the light changes, maybe some dinner with a cold beer and just let yourself enjoy the romantic atmosphere... If you stay long enough, at some point not too late into the night, you will find your self surrounded of people sleeping on the neighbor roof tops to enjoy the coldness of the dessert night..
Their beautiful haveli style building with great rooms with 24-7 hot water private bathrooms. Some of the rooms have the same excellent fort view. Everything is lovely about this place.
But The main thing for me is that when you enter there is like arriving home. They are just like family for the traveller. I guess is an excellent option if you travel "solo", it's a great opportunity to feel cozy. They have a grate sense of humor and are very open, flexible and so so helpful!
We were two girls traveling alone and they were really there for whatever we needed. Specially Dev who was like a brother. We had a desert night booked at "Le Royal Camp" but it was a big scam, there was no Le Royal Camp tents around. Despite it was an awful situation I must say it was Dev's doing what saved us. He helped us to solve the problem talking to the camp's owner so we could finally agree on a reimbursement. He also managed to arrange a very nice alternative evening with no time. Thank's Dev!!! I don't know what could have been of us without you.
If back in Jaisalmer, I would be heading straight to the Shahi Palace and would go on their dune's night that I think is a big must.
Thank you all for a very memorable time!!
Hope to see you again

Room Tip: Better to chose a room with a fort view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

It was an altoghether Amazing Stay at Jaisalmer and that too at Shahi Palace.Rooms were spacious with roof top restaurant and very friendly Owners.Our train was in Late Night next day but they offered us room for rest and refreshment without any extra charge.They even arrange for Pick up and Drop to Railway Station without any extra charge.Will highly Recommend this for Stay for a Home type feeling.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

Beautiful view on the Fort! Beautiful rooftop with therestaurant, useable the whole day are great! Clean and nice rooms with warm water 24h with pressure! Very nice stuff at reception and restaurant! Had a room without view but would take it again, no doubt!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Katoomba, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

My stay at Shahi Palace was one of the most memorable of my trip to India. With beautiful views of the fort from the roof top, well appointed Haveli style rooms and a restaurant with excellent food it really is a great place to stay. But the highlight is the staff. They are so welcoming and by the end of your stay it feels like you are leaving friends. Sitting on their rooftop sipping a cold beer and watching the fort light up as the sun sets is a travel experience you will never forget. Also, many people encourage you to stay in the fort, but this is actually ecologically unsound, as the extra tourism in the fort is damaging the fort and their are people in Jaisalmer trying to conserve it despite this damage. So by staying at Shahi Palace you also become a conservationist!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

So from the outset I will say I loved this hotel - the room, the furnishing and the food. All very agreeable and I would recommend on all these areas. So why three stars? I suppose it comes down to service... The "old management" were spot on - experienced, polite and convivial (no complaints here) my issues lie with "young management". From the first time I ate at the restaurant I was asked in one way or another for my email/phone number by the younger staff as a way of befriending me - quite annoying at times but this soon stopped when "old management" showed up a day later. Also, I took the camel trek through the hotel which was really enjoyable. At the end when the young driver came to pick me up, despite having little Hindi, I was fully aware that he asked the guide if I had tipped him (which I hadn't at that point). On the drive home I got asked about my salary and told about how little the younger driver gets paid in his job - uncomfortable to say the least - so, despite considering myself a good 'tipper', I didn't tip (having already tipped the guide by this point) which seemed to annoy the driver even more. I felt his annoyance a little further when I came to get my auto to the station that evening. In the absence of "old management" the "young management" plus my driver from earlier were in charge of arranging my transport. They watched television as I waited and waited for the auto to arrive as the time ticked by. As they realised it was getting late a couple jumped on their bikes and tried to get an auto for me off the street but in truth I was so dismayed by the lack of professionalism of this younger generation I had hailed my own and was well in my way. What a shame - especially as "old management" had been so kind as to give me a room for the evening after I returned from my trek. A real case of the younger generation letting down the experience of the older generation. Good luck.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank blakelockb
digitaljaisalmer, Manager at Hotel Shahi Palace, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
We are sorry to hear that you were not completely happy with your stay and in particular some of our younger staff. We are a family run hotel and up until the last couple of years myself and my three brothers have been running the hotel. As our children are getting older they have been getting involved in the running of the hotels and safaris. They are working for two years now to this business and we are slowly teaching them the ropes. The drivers/safari staff we use do not ask for tips as we pay them a fee and they do not need to rely on tips. We've been using them for 5 years and they know that the guests comfort is their priority. It is apparent that our hotel staff needs further training in regards to guest relations. I have spoken to all our staff about the appropriateness of questions asked of our guests. I have also spoken to the driver (who was new) and guide in regards to expectations in regards to tipping. We have always maintained a policy that tipping is optional and it is up to the guests as to how and when they do this. Once again we are sorry that you were not happy with some aspects of your stay. We hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future.
Yours sincerely,
Dev
Thimphu, Bhutan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

After several weeks of traveling India, with plenty of experience to aid comparison, Shahi Palace is by far the best hotel at which me and my wife stayed. The staff are understanding, genuinely helpful people. The room with a view that we had was both rustic/traditional and my wife (who has an interior design streak) was extremely impressed by the decor. The only drawback to other rooms was lack of natural light but they are all nevertheless beautiful and a needed sanctuary in the midst of the desert town. The restaurant on the roof gives seriously indulgent views and perhaps even the best food we've had so far and even offers classes. The camel safari they arranged for us is also recommended. The entire establishment was clean, beautiful, calm and made our stay in Jaisalmer stand out as significantly better than any that came before! Good AC, wifi, bathrooms, prices, people, service, food etc. etc. etc.

• Stayed August 2014