“Very kind people and a beautiful hotel a bit out of center”
Review of Hotel Fifu

Hotel Fifu
Ranked #9 of 108 Hotels in Jaisalmer
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Beautiful hotel built in traditional style with romantic and clean rooms. Lovely roof top terrace with nice view on Fort. A bit out of center (some 10 min. to walk). Very friendly and helpful staff. They let us keep our room beyond check-out time as one of us got sick. Furthermore they dropped us free of cost at railway station in their jeep. Compared with all our hotels on our trip was best price/value relation. Would book there immediately again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ulrich H
There are newer reviews for Hotel Fifu

Reviewed 11 April 2013

Mr. Fifu runs a very good hotel in Jaisalmer. He is always checking on the guests, extending small courtesies, and making things right. The rooms at this hotel are very comfortable and atmospheric, with decor fitting an exotic Thar Dessert haveli (it's a new building made to look old). As a meat-eating American, I was initially unethusiastic about the prospects of the onsite restaurant being all vegetarian (common in India). But every meal we had in the restaurant was very good, and the roof-top view was quite enjoyable.

We called in advance to provide our train information, and we were offered a complementary jeep ride to the hotel. It was a nice, no-hassle arrival.

One fairly minor negative is the distance to the Fort. Previously guests talk about walking it, but that seems unimaginable to me except in the coolest months of the year. Perhaps you could do it in 20 minutes (it's uphill and it's not like there are sidewalks), but it would be a crummy, hot walk. The good thing is that Mr. Fifu will call for a tuk-tuk to drive you there for 50 rupee. And it's easy to get back. Problem solved.

We also had some minor plumbing problems (it would be nice if the toilets flushed better), but ample hot water. A refrigerator in the room would also be a welcome addition.

The hotel offered to arrange a camel safari for us, but we found better packages (and lower prices) elsewhere in town.

Overall, as long as you don't mind being a little away from the Fort, I don't think you can do better than the Hotel Fifu at a comparable price.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 April 2013

The hotel has beautiful decorated rooms, a great terrace restaurant with incredible views of the fort (which you don't have a lot of chance to see if you are staying in a hotel inside the fort). The hotel is around 15 minutes walk to the gate of the fort, so is not that far. One of the only hotels in India were you don't hear the horns and can have a good night sleep.
Best of all, Fifu the owner, is sooooo kind, he was always thinking about us and our wellbeing while in Jaisalmer, he let us store our luggage at the hotel while we went on safari and when we came back, he had a room ready for us to shower. He is the best.
I totally recommend this hotel, its perfect for a nice and calm stay.
Thank you for everything Fifu!!!!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank PMPF
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Arrived on a sleeper train from Jodhpur at 6.30am and was made to feel welcome straight away.The staff found us a room where we slept for a couple of hours before moving us to another beautiful room overlooking the fort.This hotel is about 15 mins walk away from the fort along a bumpy track don't let this put you off staying.It is one of the most charming hotels I have stayed in and the friendly service could not be faulted.If you have time try booking the hotel's camel safari which is a little piece of magic away from all the crowds

Reviewed 29 March 2013

On a tour through Rajasthan our last stop was Hotel Fifu. To be honest it was the best hotel we stayed at during our 10 days trip. Very nice rooms, no noise at night and a simple but good cuisine. The service was done by very nice guys from Nepal, always with a smile. Really to be recommended.

Reviewed 17 March 2013

Mr Kewaliya & Antriksh are two best bets to stay at this property.We found on reaching here that we have been given a room on 3rd floor with a seperate interconnecting sitting room.The rooms have been furnished in rajasthani heritage style with a blend of simplicity which makes the stay cosy & relaxing. Antriksh gave us a brief on Jaisalmer while we enjoyed the welcome drink. The meals at roof-top restaurant overlooking the magnificient Jaisalmer Fort adds that raw soothing rajasthani flavour to your taste buds.The breakfast included in the tariff was well spread & hygienic. Meals were served with pleasure in the presence of the owner of the property Mr Kewaliya.Later, Mr kewaliya, who is a native of Jaisalmer, gave us the first-hand information & satisfied our querries regarding the local traditions, culture, landscape related hardships etc so patiently & polietly that we fell in love with Jaisalmer.In a nutshell, Hotel Fifu completed our experience of otherwise a very beautiful & wonderful place Jaisalmer.

2  Thank umeshjain
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I arrived in Jaisalmer on my bicycle trip across India a 11:00 PM and checked into the first hotel I saw. It was a bland "luxury" place on the periphery of town. Google maps showed Hotel Fifu near the fortress and since the hotels in the fortress were booked I went with Fifu. As I proceeded down an unpaved road away from the fortress I had second thoughts. I arrived at Fifu and was immediately charmed by the small but tastefully decorated lobby. Fifu Kewaliya built and operates this charming hotel with loving care. Care for every detail of the design,maintenance and care for the guests. I stopped on the stairs to appreciate what Fifu had done with what would normally be an ordinary feature of a building. When the bell hop opened the door to my room I lost my breath. It was small but I thought I had stepped back in time a hundred years into an authentic Rajasthani haveli bedroom. Of course Fifu has added modern conveniences like hot water, flat screen TV, and air conditioning. But this room and hotel had to be the most charming of my Indian vacation and I must have slept at fifty hotels on this trip. I asked Fifu if he could recommend a tour guide. He did. Virendra Singh is Fifu's friend and competitor (he's building a haveli hotel across the street). The depth of Virendra's knowledge about Jaisalmer and Rajasthani history is bottomless and the information is delivered in a witty way with a few jokes. I am a professional tour guide in NYC so I am a discerning connoisseur of tour guides. I have had tour guides as good who were tour guides for one monument and knew their little area inside out but Virendra can tour the whole city and the desert and never be at a loss for words. A credit to Fifu that he recommended the best even though this man is a competitor. Fifu also arranged at my request the camel and dinner in the desert evening. I'm a city kid. Riding a camel across the desert is more romantic in theory than in practice. Omar Sharif made it appear cool but that's Hollywood. The food was good but you're just in the desert in the evening not that much different from a barbecue at the beach minus the water and burgers. We did stop and see the cenotaphs of the maharawals. Without a tour guide it would have been a meaningless visit. Virendra explained everything and gave great insights into Indian history and culture. I credit Fifu with everything. From his pleasant greeting to beautifully designed and immaculately maintained haveli, to the expert guidance on activities, and recommendation of a tour guide to reserving a jeep and even toks toks when I needed, Fifu has made my stay in Jaisalmer perfect. You must stay here. And don't let me get started about the view of the fortress from the rooftop restaurant.

Room Tip: They are all great. Fortress view rooms are nice but the roof top restaurant offers commanding views...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo