“Boutique hotel in the fort”
Review of Jaisal Castle

and 1 more site!
Jaisal Castle
Ranked #63 of 108 Hotels in Jaisalmer
Reviewed 13 December 2011

This is a lovely heritage boutique hotel situated atop the jaisalmer fort providing amazing view of the town from its balcony. All rooms well appointed and maintained well. Getting hot water in the taps was a problem though. But the caretaker Eliyas provides cheerful service with a smile always. Food is terrific and homely. Its a family run hotel and they also stay there. They try to accommodate all ur needs. Enjoyed the stay there with five other families.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on first floor to get breathtaking views. Best room is 201.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank mpaddy

Reviewed 30 November 2011

I stayed here, as a solo traveller, for three nights in Nov'11.

Not the poshest of places but simple and comfortable. I was the only one staying at hotel at that time so I got full attention.

As mentioned elsewhere, I is situated bang inside the fort with great views of Jaisalmer town from most rooms.

They have a nice traditional courtyard where you can have home-cooked meals (or beer).

Definitely value for money

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank anuragc1971
Reviewed 4 November 2011

The location is wonderful and our room had a balcony with fantastic views. This was appreciated but I only have very bad memories of our stay. There was no hot water during our two nights and three days. We were promised it over and over and told, "Yes, there is hot water now"; however, we had to run downstairs This is very nice hotel not very far from Railway station, Staff of the hotel is very pleasing do take care of your all needs. you can do early check in and late check outs.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 February 2011

The location is wonderful and our room had a balcony with fantastic views. This was appreciated but I only have very bad memories of our stay. There was no hot water during our two nights and three days. We were promised it over and over and told, "Yes, there is hot water now"; however, we had to run downstairs over and over to advise that it was not so - either cold, lukewarm, or dribbling out. The only time I felt the water hot enough for a shower was 9.00 am when we were due to meet our guide. We have stayed places where there is no hot water and some, in Tibet, where there was no water at all but each of these places were 'up front' about the lack and did their best for us. It was the lies the Jaisalmer Castle staff kept telling us that disappointed us most. The room was quite dirty also; however, bed was clean.

At breakfast the day we were leaving, my cup had lipstick around the rim (not mine!) so we walked out - it was just the last straw to imagine how they washed (or didn't) the dishes.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LoisRAustralia
Reviewed 29 December 2010

First, I would like to say that Jaisal Castle was connected to Welcome Holiday tours so it was chosen by the tour company and not by me.

The hotel offered me tea upon arriving. That was very nice of them. The first room they showed me had a bathroom in a horrible state. It looked like a scene from SAW, and I have stayed in some horrid places throughout Asia. There was a hole where a pigeon was roosting in the floor, because the room was within the Jaisalmer Fort. I requested something be done about this from my tour agent and the manager of Jaisal Castle got very frantic and started sweet talking me into staying in a much better room that be brought me to. The room was nicer, but there was an infestation of ants in one part of the room. I had no choice according to my local travel agent so I begrudgingly accepted the new room. I found ants as well in the jam they presented at breakfast and watched as their dog crapped on the floor in front of me. They eventually got to cleaning it up.

After my stay, the manager wished me safe travels and then quickly stepped in front of me and demanded 50 rupees for my welcome drink they gave me the day I checked in. I was very dissatisfied with this place and want everyone to STAY AWAY!

In addition, Jaisal Castle is located within Jaisalmer Fort, which adds an element of interest, but is BAD because the hotels located within the fort are contributing to the destruction of the ancient city by putting unneeded stress on the city's exhausted water drainage system. The fort is literally crumbling and sliding down bit by bit so I would suggest staying in a place located outside of the fort so that one is not contributing to the degradation of this magical place.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank Cupocurry
Reviewed 16 February 2010

we booked this room on a recommendation of a friend. Normally we would read a review or ask around before booking but a friend who we respect a lot suggested this, so we went for it.

it was the diwali week, so naturally the owners had lit diyas all over the beautifully built yellow stone mini castle;. haveli. It had these gorgeous murals on the wall as we entered. the work done on creating the atmosphere got full marks from us. the place itself has a good energy about it, obviously taken us back in time and giving us a feel of the how life was then.

the rooms were clean, simply done up overlooking the city of jaisalmer. we were enticed by the view, waking up to it and sleeping with it. we were there for 3 nights.

The location itself made it apt to be part of the local experience since its literally right in the centre of jaisalmer, in the fort. we got all our camel safari organised from there. We had lots of choices for food as we stepped out including our regular thali meals in the castle itself. all in all, the atmosphere and the feeling of the place was vibrant and ethereal. would be great to spend some more time amidst the desert in the comfort of a castle.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2009

actually we dint stay there but had gone to check out the place as we were looking for a place to stay
the place is good, rooms have ethnic look but there is no TV in the rooms
for baffled me was the attitude of the mangement. They were very friendly with foreigners and there was a warmth in their attitude but when dealing with indians they were very matter of fact. attitidue was soemthing like "Lena hai to lo nahi to jaao"

Stayed: January 2009