“Location, location , location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jaisal Castle

Jaisal Castle
Ranked #70 of 103 Hotels in Jaisalmer
Kathmandu
“Location, location , location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013

We had a very good stay there. Booked via agent in Nepal. Not all rooms nice and I guess they keep only guests in one or two rooms, the top rooms with the great views. Had balcony to ourselves. Staff helpful, water problems reported in other reviews seemed solved for our room (not for the other). Never had a hotel where most of the people around is not guest or staff, but family and family guests. We did not seem to matter that much, which was fine with us. We really pitied the people that could not stay up in the fort and had to stay in highly rated hotels down in the town below. Just the walk from the square through the maze to the hotel was all worth it.

Room Tip: Take the farthest room on the upper balcony, with the windows looking straight down the fort walls
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

We stayed two nights in this castle in the fort and had a really great time. It is very picturesque and high in the fort so has excellent views, particularly at night. The staff were very welcoming and helpful, sorting out laundry and cooking some good food. All the locals we spoke to commented on how nice it was, and I think it is well worth a stay in the fort (even with the little walk necessary due to no cars). Would stay here again!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ellena C
Chennai (Madras), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2011

This is a lovely heritage boutique hotel situated atop the jaisalmer fort providing amazing view of the town from its balcony. All rooms well appointed and maintained well. Getting hot water in the taps was a problem though. But the caretaker Eliyas provides cheerful service with a smile always. Food is terrific and homely. Its a family run hotel and they also stay there. They try to accommodate all ur needs. Enjoyed the stay there with five other families.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on first floor to get breathtaking views. Best room is 201.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank mpaddy
Chandigarh, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

I stayed here, as a solo traveller, for three nights in Nov'11.

Not the poshest of places but simple and comfortable. I was the only one staying at hotel at that time so I got full attention.

As mentioned elsewhere, I is situated bang inside the fort with great views of Jaisalmer town from most rooms.

They have a nice traditional courtyard where you can have home-cooked meals (or beer).

Definitely value for money

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank anuragc1971
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

The location is wonderful and our room had a balcony with fantastic views. This was appreciated but I only have very bad memories of our stay. There was no hot water during our two nights and three days. We were promised it over and over and told, "Yes, there is hot water now"; however, we had to run downstairs This is very nice hotel not very far from Railway station, Staff of the hotel is very pleasing do take care of your all needs. you can do early check in and late check outs.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2011

The location is wonderful and our room had a balcony with fantastic views. This was appreciated but I only have very bad memories of our stay. There was no hot water during our two nights and three days. We were promised it over and over and told, "Yes, there is hot water now"; however, we had to run downstairs over and over to advise that it was not so - either cold, lukewarm, or dribbling out. The only time I felt the water hot enough for a shower was 9.00 am when we were due to meet our guide. We have stayed places where there is no hot water and some, in Tibet, where there was no water at all but each of these places were 'up front' about the lack and did their best for us. It was the lies the Jaisalmer Castle staff kept telling us that disappointed us most. The room was quite dirty also; however, bed was clean.

At breakfast the day we were leaving, my cup had lipstick around the rim (not mine!) so we walked out - it was just the last straw to imagine how they washed (or didn't) the dishes.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LoisRAustralia

Travellers are raving about these Jaisalmer hotels

Seoul, South Korea
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2010

First, I would like to say that Jaisal Castle was connected to Welcome Holiday tours so it was chosen by the tour company and not by me.

The hotel offered me tea upon arriving. That was very nice of them. The first room they showed me had a bathroom in a horrible state. It looked like a scene from SAW, and I have stayed in some horrid places throughout Asia. There was a hole where a pigeon was roosting in the floor, because the room was within the Jaisalmer Fort. I requested something be done about this from my tour agent and the manager of Jaisal Castle got very frantic and started sweet talking me into staying in a much better room that be brought me to. The room was nicer, but there was an infestation of ants in one part of the room. I had no choice according to my local travel agent so I begrudgingly accepted the new room. I found ants as well in the jam they presented at breakfast and watched as their dog crapped on the floor in front of me. They eventually got to cleaning it up.

After my stay, the manager wished me safe travels and then quickly stepped in front of me and demanded 50 rupees for my welcome drink they gave me the day I checked in. I was very dissatisfied with this place and want everyone to STAY AWAY!

In addition, Jaisal Castle is located within Jaisalmer Fort, which adds an element of interest, but is BAD because the hotels located within the fort are contributing to the destruction of the ancient city by putting unneeded stress on the city's exhausted water drainage system. The fort is literally crumbling and sliding down bit by bit so I would suggest staying in a place located outside of the fort so that one is not contributing to the degradation of this magical place.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo