“Centrally located, historical charm”
Review of Pal Haveli

and 1 more site!
Pal Haveli
Ranked #14 of 98 Hotels in Jodhpur
Reviewed 2 March 2014

This Haveli is right next to the Clock Tower market in the heart of Old Jodhpur. That's not necessarily a positive, because this area is chaotic. Avoiding being run over by motorbikes and Tuk-tuks requires absolute concentration and does get on your nerves after a while - motorbikes even charge through the narrow passages of the covered souk. The exhaust fumes were choking and the streets pretty grubby with rubbish and animal droppings. To have a chance to look at the architecture in this central part of the old city we had to leave the hotel at dawn and return 2 hours later (the market opens at 10am). The formerly nice old buildings have been allowed to deteriorate terribly. An exception to this is the Pal Haveli, formerly the family home. The rooms are blissfully quiet amid the mayhem of the neighbourhood - well, ours was anyway. Our room was a bit antiquated, but the common areas were very pleasant and charming. There was a nice central courtyard and some smaller ones. To get to our room, and the restaurant, we had to climb up some long and very steep flights of stairs (no lift) - this might be a problem for the less mobile. The restaurant was recommended by Lonely Planet and our travel agent but we found the food to be just OK, particularly the breakfast which gave little choice of dishes. There was no buffet, all was à la carte. Service was slow and a little disorganised, eg starters arriving at the same time as the main course. However, the view from the restaurant is stunning – an unobstructed vista of the Meherangarh Fort, which was illuminated in the evening. Incidentally, there is a nice walking path from the fort back down into the Old City, and therefore the hotel, which passes some nice old houses. Wi-Fi (free) only worked in the hotel lobby, not in our room.
Overall we liked the hotel because of its historical feel.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. If you aren't mobile or fit, mention this because of the issue with the st...

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Each adjective with positive sense because it would be simplistic beauty, attention to detail and the uniqueness of the combination b & b-art gallery, and above all the kindness and delicacy of the hosts are immeasurable! My boyfriend and I have had a great time and will definitely return! PS To follow the suggestions of riviews dinner is Recommend ... very good!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I agree with what the 3 previous reviewers have said, particularly with LRMcK's detailed piece. It is a jewel of a place to stay in. Rehana W's comment about breakfast is correct. Dinner service was great, breakfast pretty chaotic and slow.
This was our 3rd night in India on this trip and because of the excellent reception by staff and the evident quality of the place I relaxed my normal vigilance. I can only blame myself but ...
After a 6 hour road journey we left our stuff partly unpacked in the room and went to the roof restaurant of Haveli Inn Pal for a beer and to eat. We were up there for 2.5 hours and returned to the room. I checked nothing and went to sleep.
The next morning, to comply with the checkout time, we took our re-sealed bags down to Reception for safe keeping and went to look around the Blue City.
On return we recovered our luggage and I checked mine to discover that £300 in £50 notes had gone from one stash and 3>4 £20 notes were missing from my wallet. Enough cash remained in the hope - I imagine - of persuading me all was well. This I am told is a standard tactic.
I brought the matter up immediately with the Reception Manager to whom we had entrusted our bags. He said - and I am perhaps inclined to agree with him - that this could not have happened on his watch as the area was covered by security cameras. Maybe, maybe not.
Reflecting on this loss later we agreed that (a) the theft could not have happened at our previous 2 nights/hotels. The cash was always locked in our luggage and both businesses were small family-run affairs that my wife already knew. It simply would/could not have happened and the list of potential culprits would have been 1 or 2 in each place. Not at all likely.
(b) The theft of our cash happened we believe while we were eating dinner on the roof. The thief might have operated alone or could perhaps have been offered risk-free access to our room by a tip-off from a waiter upstairs.
As LRMcK says there are no safes in the room. I checked this before we went to eat. If the Management is unaware that they have a rotten egg or two working for them then safes should be installed all round. I would have used it.
I don't know how many staff Pal Haveli has - perhaps 30>50? - but evidently the more there are the greater the risk to guests IF management systems and vigilance are not up to pace.
I don't write these words lightly or with any joy but I/we are as certain as we can be that this is what occurred. My rating of Pal Haveli is the result of the theft. In nearly all other aspects it is a super place to stay. Had we not lost a significant sum of money the Haveli would be well worth 5 stars.
My message to the management? Tighten up your act guys because if you don't this won't be the last negative review you get. You need to identify the culprit(s), get rid of them and make certain this doesn't happen to anyone else under your roof.
AndrewS

Reviewed 22 February 2014

This is a very interesting haveli. Quite a spacious place, with their smaller sister hotel, Haveli Inn Pal, situated next door. It seems the two premises are often confused. The hotel is very near the clocktower and Sardar Market. There are majestic views of Mehrangarh Fort from the courtyard and rooftop, especially at night when it is floodlit.

There is very limited street parking, so pick ups and drop offs have to be very quick.

The hotel is very attractive. The exterior has attractive paintings flanking an enormous wooden entrance door. The different wings surround an internal courtyard. Reception and some small shops open onto the courtyard. Reception, accommodation and dining wings are all separate.

We saw inside a few different rooms. They were all attractively decorated. There is quite a bit of variation in the size of the rooms. There were many paintings, photographs and antiques scattered around the corridors and courtyards, which was like living in a museum. The hotel has a rooftop restaurant, from which there are excellent views of the fort and clock tower. It was particularly nice to dine here at night. But it was quite cool, so braziers were located beside each table. There is also a 'hunting lodge' themed bar on the floor below. The old fashioned decor was very interesting.

We were accommodated in room 102 called "Grandmother's Room". It was very spacious. The decor was old fashioned and very welcoming. It was quite cold at night and we had to ask for extra blankets. These arrived within 1/2 hour along with a room heater. We also asked for and received a hair dryer. There was a refrigerator in the room, but no electric jug.

There was no in-room safe. However we were able to use a system where by our valuables were sealed in envelopes with our signatures on the seal. This was given directly to the hotel owner who I believe put it into his safe. However, he was not always on the premises. So it meant access needed to be prearranged.

In all, we loved staying at this hotel. The staff were friendly and attentive. The breakfast, lunch and dinners were tasty and inexpensive. Would definitely stay here again.

1  Thank LRMcK
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

beautiful hotel, nice comfortable room. dinner was good, although breakfast could have been better. it is very conveniently located. only regret is that our stay was too short. staff were very helpful.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Spent three nights here and loved it! Stayed in the Grandfather's room, a corner on the second floor just outside the bar (no other rooms around it). Beautifully decorated and very clean. Kettle for coffee/tea making and fridge for cold water. Love the colored glass handing from wooden beamed ceiling and all the colorful painting. I could live here. Gret location by clock tower. Excellent dinner in rooftop restaurant. Breakfast was included and OK. Wifi in lobby was quite fast. Staff were wonderful. Felt like a Maharaja.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights here and loved it. Right in town near the clock tower you are giving a haven from the busy city within the walls. Each room has history to tell of former residents and very clean and good. The top bar on the roof is perfect to watch the sunset and gaze at the fort waiting for the city lights to turn on. Breakfast is good fresh and has both English and Indian on offer. Excellent place all round

• Stayed: January 2014