“THE place to stay in Jodhpur”

and 1 more site!
Durag Niwas Guesthouse
Ranked #15 of 194 Jodhpur B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Hello everyone!! I strongly reccomend Durag Niwas Guesthouse in Jodhpur. I stayed twice last year and will be back for sure. For a female solo traveller like me was the perfect place. It´s located in a quit area next to a sports compound (which only members can enter), but it´s located very close to the center, to supermarkets and the old town.
I always feel at home here the atmosphere is very warm and cozy. Govind and Mukta and great hosts and they always help guests with information and helpful tips. All the staff is very nice.
My favorite room is one of the suites upstairs, which has a nice terrace overlooking the sports ground and is nice to see the sunsets from there. Regards,
Sandra Salazar

Room Tip: The suite upstairs that faces the sports ground or the very first room located next to the entrance...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank slss3009

Reviewed 27 April 2013

I'm a female solo traveler and where ever I travel, safety is a priority. My friends recommended it to be the place for me as it is run by a family. I was very happy to find it more than what I had expected. The blue walls on the outside were very welcoming and when I stepped inside I was warmly greeted by Mukta Jee (Owner's wife n co-owner). My room was clean, decorated tastefully with soothing interiors, well ventilated with lots of windows and had a small balcony. The dining area is nicely done with a beautiful canopy, lots of shrubs and greenery and fresh home cooked meals are available right from the kitchen. It was nice meeting other guests, long term volunteers of the NGO run by the owner, the owner himself and his family members while eating breakfast. I loved lounging and reading books on the beautifully decorated n comfortable divans places all over the property. The ambiance is homely and comfortable. The staff are polite and courteous. I had quite a relaxing time while staying there. In fact, I had planned to stay for two days but ended up staying for five. The owner was very thoughtful to pack some fruits for me when I left early in the morning.
While I was around, it was quite an inspiring experience to see and know about 'Sambhali', the NGO that works for empowering Dalit women and girls by means of education and self employment, owned and managed by the owner. I look forward to staying at Durag Niwas again and I would strongly recommend it as the comfortable and homely place to stay when in Jodhpur. Best wishes to the owners and their entire team.

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor are the best ones.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank psych10
Reviewed 13 April 2013

I arrived at night and loved how cosy the place looked with the warm lights, blue walls and colourful drapes. The room was simple, staff were friendly and helpful. Some of the people who stay here volunteer at the Sambhali trust, a non profit organization to help women set up by the owner and everyone was really nice.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank MizzH
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We enjoyed our stay in this guest house. Room and bathroom was clean, food was good. Service was not very prompt, being a family-run guest house. We recommend it for staying in Jodhpur. However, when we wanted to book a car for our journey to Mt. Abu, they did not inform us about the availability of the car, in spite of assuring us to come back with the information within 15 min. We were waiting about 3-4 hrs and then assumed they have failed to arrange something.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ipsita M
Reviewed 3 January 2013

We called here in the evening to inquire about room availability - we were scolded/yelled at for calling too late in the evening for them and told to call back after 9 AM with questions. We couldn't believe it and took this as a sign of their attitude and customer service and happily found somewhere else to stay (all other guest houses were eager to answer our questions). We're currently at Sadar Haveli and finding it a unique place to stay (200 year old fort with fantastic view of main Jodhpur fort).

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank KEM333
ramramsa1983, Owner at Durag Niwas Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2013

Dear Sir/Ma'am,
Durag Niwas is a simple guest house run by a family and sorry for not providing fancy 24 hours reservation desk service. We remember your call from last night. We are sorry to you that we cannot provide reservation information at 12.00am, when our family is asleep. We are sorry that we have suggested yourself to call at 9.00am so that our staff could assist yourself. Sorry for the inconvenience caused by us. We wish you a pleasant stay in Jodhpur.
Best Regards
Durag Niwas

Reviewed 26 December 2012

Our family recently stayed three nights at Duraq Niwas in Jodhpur. I think we had the largest room available and it worked well for our family of 4. There is a large central area with wifi available and was a very nice place to sit and rest.

This guesthouse is the base for the Sambahli trust that works with women and girls in India so many of the other people at the guesthouse are volunteers for the trust. The owner and founder of the trust was kind enough to give my 13 year old son an interview and to discuss with him the problems that plaque women in India.

We would recommend this budget guesthouse without hesitation.

This guesthouse was quite quiet at night and yet was only a short rickshaw ride to the centre of town.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 October 2012

Excellent hostel! The owners are really wonderful and also run a non-profit helping local women; it feels great to support them. We wish we would have known about it in advance so we could have volunteered! This place has an awesome vibe and it’s a great place to meet other travelers. There’s really good food, hot water, fast wifi, clean towels/sheets and the best fan I’ve had in India!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple