“a wonderful property!!!”

Ranked #5 of 190 Jodhpur B&B and Inns
Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
“a wonderful property!!!”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

a wonderful hotel, nestled in the heart of the market area, at the foot of the mehrangarh fort hill, midst many other similar properties. with just 7 spacious rooms, this place is well maintained and provides all the basic amenities a traveller looks for. at the end of the day you get a good bed to sleep, clean sheets and towels, well maintained bathroom with basic toiletries. decent food available at their rooftop restaurant-Dagley.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Really liked the place — the rooftop has a great view, the food is good, the service is surprisingly quick (on Indian standards anyway), there's a massive selection of music to chill to.

The rooms and bathrooms are simple but clean.

The owners are awesome — super friendly and genuinely interested in improving their hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank allypally273
Skipton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014

This was our favourite place on our quick tour of some of Northern India.
We were picked up by the hotel from the railway station and taken to this little gem.
We were made to feel very welcome by all the staff and owners.
Our room was great, everything you would need, clean and comfortable with interesting features and lovely furniture.
The rooftop restaurant is lovely, particularly in the evening, the view of the fort is just wonderful from there, you can almost touch it !!!
The crowning glory of this wonderful hotel is the staff, nothing is too much trouble for them, from advice to actually coming out with me to show me the various places I needed to go,money changers,,chemist and internet cafes.
We would recommend Kings Retreat to everybody, Jodhpur is a wonderful place, it was our first visit and we were only there for a short time, 2 nights, if we had known how much we would enjoy it at Kings Retreat we would have booked for longer.
Thank you once again to all the staff,particularly the young guy from Nepal who worked on the rooftop, he was so amusing.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank taxigirl06
Zagreb, Croatia
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Guys from Kings Retreat know how to make u feel comfortable, informed & amused! The food is delicious, waiters/staff fast & friendly, rooms great for chillin'

Three of us came to Jodhpur that night, after being “beerless” in Pushkar for two days (that’s a lot for a girls like us!). We fell in love with the city immediately!

After five hours on the train, without expectations, except for cold beers, we ran into the warmest, biggest smile of Kings Retreat receptionist - Raju. After such pleasant welcoming we got the spacious, beautiful, clean room. Vintage photos of different Rajas on the walls was detail that catched my eye, as well as the mysore rose soap in the, big & clean, bathroom.

Rooftop restaurant was another great experience! It has the best view on the Fort in town. The beers were big & cold, waiters friendly & fast, music good & loud (The Cult & The Kings of Leon oh yeah!), hosts/owners Vishal & Maddy professional, charming, friendly and helpful.
They gave us a lot of recommendations, tips & great time.

Open, warmhearted people - that’s what one has to love in India/Rajasthan/Jodhpur/Kings Retreat.

We saw/met many other interesting people/tourists as well. Some of them were there for the third time! It means that people actually coming back & that’s the best u can achieve when own a hotel & restaurant (in India, and the people r from States & Europe!)

Don’t miss this place if going to Jodhpur. If u don’t have time to sleep there, ‘cause u r just passing through, go to the rooftop restaurant. They serve the best thali in town & drink one big, cold Kingfisher for us ☺

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Happyji
Guadalajara, Mexico
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Right in the middle of Jodhpurs labyrinthine city center, you will find King's Retreat. The name of this place appears as a signatory of Jodhpurs old days where houses used to be build in this style. This means rooms with high ceilings, arched windows and colored glass, furnished with beautiful royal beds and other room necessities.
Besides the pleasant accommodation we had a great warm and personal welcome from its owner who was more than open to show us around and cover for everything we could wish for.
In short a real retreat to stay at, with guys running the place who know and recognize the importance of hospitality and customer service.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LSdeRooij
Chandigarh, Chandigarh, India
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We reached Jodhpur the night before the festival of Holi and were there for just 2 nights (not the best time if your visit is that short). However our stay at King's Retreat was pleasant.

ROOM - Our room was quite spacious. The place is an old property with very high ceilings and arched windows with colored glass. The decor was simple and appropriate. Small framed pictures of maharajas from Jodhpur and South India, adorned the walls and were interesting. The study table was Big and its drawers kinda made up for the absence of a closet. There were two pretty wooden chairs with a small table on one side and a dressing table with a pretty mirror as well. The only thing I missed (a lot) was curtains. The place is an old neighborhood with narrow streets and although when you shut the windows, there total privacy, the large room has rather echo-ey acoustics that may not be pleasant for everyone.

BATHROOM - The bathroom was large too. The storage water heater wasn't big but served well. The place had a bathtub! Unfortunately it didn't have a plug to render it usable. There's a ceiling fan inside as well if it gets to hot inside while...y'know.

ROOFTOP RESTAURANT - is awesome at night. The place is interesting, I could mix it up with some place in Manali or even Goa. Food's alright, no complains. They're famous for their quesadillas and those didn't disappoint at all (both veg and non-veg). If breakfast is included in your tariff, then the menu is limited but it's not bad (poha wasn't that great though...but I'm sure not many people order that!). In the morning, the view is conjested as there are just some many hotels/houses all around but it's alright as despite that, the neighborhood is kinda clean. But turn around and behold the large rear side of the Mehrangarh Fort (it's awesome).

The proprietors Vishal and Maddy are great company. We got to interact more with the latter and he's simply a great conversationalist and told us many interesting facts about Jodhpur. Damn! we missed the international gypsy music festival hosted at Mehrangarh and ended the day before we came to Jodhpur. We also made friends with an Australian couple Greg and Fran and had a very interesting and long conversation with them (esp that Greg and I shared a passion for photography).

Our stay in Jodhpur was short and most of it was rather marred by Holi. The whole city was closed and so was the Umaid Bhawan. Thankfully the Mehrangarh Fort was open so at least we got to see that. Make no mistakes, things get pretty crazy at Holi in Jodhpur so if you're just gonna be there for a day and half (like us), you'll be left stranded...unless you wanna take to the streets and have a bit of fun! :P

Bottomline- great place, recommended.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Je S
Brighton
Reviewed 2 April 2014

From the moment we arrived, Vishal made us feel oh-so very welcome. The service was unprecedently personal and every smallest detail of our wants and needs were swiftly and thoughtfully covered. These guys are so amazingly hospitable, and you can sense how much of their heart and soul they’ve put into this place and how much they enjoy working with their guests.

The food was amazing; safe to say some of the best meals I’ve had in India. The chef is incredibly talented with his creations, every dish was an amazing taste experience of flavours and fragrances, the kind of meal you’d be ready to pay a ton for back home. Even if you don’t stay here, you should definitely pop by for lunch or dinner with a wicked view of the colossal fort.

To say that this place is friendly is an understatement; I’d say it’s friend-like.

I ended up coming back about a week later to celebrate NYE here, simply because I wanted to be in good company. I ended up spending 54 days there; everyday was something new.

I spent those 54 days immersing myself in the Marwari culture, learning first hand about the food, the history, the language, and seeing the authentic desi side of Jodhpur. Thanks to their introductions, I connected with many of their friends, attended to weddings, lived with the Rubari tribesmen in a nearby village for a half week, tagged along with a TV crew, learnt how to ride and laughed so many nights away. I dare say I got a genuine taste of the real Jodhpur.

These guys are legendary in my books. If anyone were to ask me to, I’d vouch for them 100%. I’ve heard them deal with hundreds of enquiries, and they always put the individual before their business interests. Nowhere else have I seen a proprietor share so much time, energy and build such a connection with a guest. Hands down – guest is God here.

So would I recommend the Kings Retreat? Definitely, no second thought about it. I can’t say you’ll get the experience that I had, but I can say for sure that Vishal and Maddy will go out of their way to give you the experience that you are looking for. I came looking for the real India, and I can say thanks to being here I’ve had a pretty nice slice of it.

I am eternally grateful for my experience at Kings Retreat, and Vishal, Maddy and Jodhpur will be in my heart forever. Jah bless.

Room Tip: Ask for 'Berry's Room'