“Awesome customer service”
Review of Angel Fire Resort

Angel Fire Resort
More attraction details
Owner description: Angel Fire Resort is a year-round destination located in Northern New Mexico. In the winter, Angel Fire features skiing and snowboarding with a wide-variety of terrain on 560+ acres. Amenities include a ski & snowboard school, lodging options, tubing and dining facilities. After the snow melts, the resort features on of the premier downhill mountain bike parks in the country as well New Mexico's only zipline, an 18-hole golf course and more!
San Diego, California
“Awesome customer service”
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

We called in from Taos at 730 pm and were happily accommodated by a staff member named Shenon. He was able to talk us through the reservation process of a suite. Thoroughly explaining all accommodations. When we walked in after 930 pm he happily showed us maps of trails and seemed very happy in his position to help people. We were very pleased . We had a fantastic weekend because of his willingness. Thank you Shennon!!!

Angel Fire, New Mexico
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Year round fun”
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Winter, spring, summer, fall. All four seasons offer lots of fun & lots of things to do at the Resort. Fantastic skiing on an uncrowded mountain in the winter. Summer finds that very same mountain turned into a giant mountain bike park that has national & international competitions. Fall is the time to come view the turning of the aspens & the amazing color pallet that is revealed as the leafs change. Spring is a great time to be up as things start to green back up from a winter's nap and the area is even more quiet & peaceful. Plus, you will find the accommodations and amenities at the Resort plush, comfortable & accommodating.

Texas
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Go during the week”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We visited Angel Fire Resort for a ski trip at the end of January. My 5 year old son spent the first day in ski school and we were extremely pleased. Although a little pricy, he had a full day of learning and his instructor only had two children. (He attended on a Friday, and on Saturday, we noticed that the class sizes were a bit larger.) By the end of the day, he was going up the bunny hill lift on his own. While he was at school, my husband and I skied the runs. There was a large portion of the mountain not open, but many of those were blacks on the back side and we had no problem finding plenty of paths to take. The Chile Express lift was closed for a while due to high winds, but they were taking shuttles up to the back of the mountain, so no worries there. The key is to go with the flow. Had we wanted to find fault, we could have complained about the closed lift, etc. but instead we enjoyed the beautiful days and wide-open ski runs.

Visited January 2014
Dallas, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Not worth the money... go to Colorado for a real skiing experience”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We recently spent spring break in Angel Fire with family and friends. While we knew the skiing conditions were not ideal (high temps and lack of snow), the skiing at the top of the mountain was still pretty good.

What really surprised me was how rude the people working at the resort were -- from lift operators to bartenders, restaurant staff and even the ski school personnel. You could ask for directions, and employees acted put out that you would ask for assistance. I had made reservations for ski lessons several weeks before our arrival, and when we checked in we learned that the lessons had never been booked despite the fact that the resort had charged my credit card. Trying to move the lessons to another day was not possible because all the teachers were now booked. After standing in line for 40 mins and escalating to the manager, the charges were finally refunded.

The resort is small, poorly managed and did not seem prepared for spring break crowds (even though these crowds were small compared to what I have seen in Colorado). On multiple days, the restaurant/bar at the Summit ran out of ice, napkins, and even eating utensils!! They would come on the loud speaker and make jokes about the menu now being all finger foods (meaning we have no forks - you have to eat everything with your hands!).

We have skied in different locations in Colorado and Utah, and were hopeful that Angel Fire / New Mexico might be a location a little closer to Texas, but we will NOT return. I am really not a "ski snob", but even when going to a smaller, more economical resort like Angel Fire, skiing is not a cheap vacation, and one should expect a basic level of customer service, politeness, professionalism and organization.

Whether you are a beginner or experienced skier, I would recommend spending the extra few hours on the road to get to Colorado where they know how to treat visitors, and the ski resorts are much better managed.

5 Thank TxFamily3
Austin, Texas, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Angel Fire Snowbear Camp”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We enrolled our 3 and 5 year old in Snowbear Camp at the Angel Fire Preschool and Daycare in March of 2014 during our Spring Break week. I was feeling a little guilty about going on a family vacation and dropping them off for "child care" while my husband and I went off and skiied the first day. When I dropped them off, I could hardly get them to turn around and tell me goodbye, they were so enamored with the facility.

They have a very large wooden indoor climbing gym with a full size slide, a home center, a dress up center, several train tables and building block areas, a race track/car scene carpet and the cars to go with it, and an nice area for circle time for short lessons and rest/nap time. You can tell there is actual lessons being taught and learning happening in this place-more than just glorified baby-sitting. Kids that are a little older, can opt to have quiet time while watching a movie. They had a full schedule of activites for the day, just right for the preschool set. The weather was really nice for the tail end of winter, so I know the kids spent some extra time on the large, fenced and very secure outdoor playground.

Examples of snacks served: Carrots and ranch, goldfish, and cheese quesadillas.
Lunch: Spaghetti, hotdogs and macaroni and cheese, not straight from a box.

When I returned to pick them up at the end of the first day, they were still not ready to leave. I interacted quite a bit with the staff, the teachers and even the director of the preschool. They were absolutely lovely women that seemed to really love their job and it showed through to the kids in their care. They greeted us with a smile, even at the end of the day after I know they had to have been wrangling kids of all ages and needs all day long. Not one of the staff members ever seemed tired or worn down, again, even at the end of the day.

Day 2 of drop off, I definitely didn't get a goodbye from my kids. I picked them up a little early for a ski school lesson and they were much happier to be at Snowbear Camp than to gear up and head on over to the mountain because I was interrupting their super-fun day at Snowbear Camp. Day 3, I wasn't planning on taking them to Snowbear Camp because they had already spent 2 days with them, but they were begging to go back. We didn't have a Day 3 reservation but I mentioned to the staff that the kids were really wanting to come back for a few hours at a minimum. They said they were pretty full, but would work with me to accomodate them as "drop-ins" so I didn't have to pay the full day rate and we could come and go as we needed. We had designated Wednesday as Family Day, so we got our Family fun in the morning and the kids spent the afternoon at Snowbear Camp to round out the end of their time in Angel Fire. I highly recommend this facility and the staff. I think I have a pretty high standard of what I look for in child care and I was very happy with this facility. Some would say that the skiing in Angel Fire isn't quite as good as what could be found in Colorado, but my peace of mind is worth so much when it comes to my kids. I would return to Angel Fire, just knowing my kids were happy, safe and secure at Snowbear Camp.

As a side note, my kids just barely hit the 42 inch height requirement for Polar Coaster Tubing Slide ($25/per person for 1.5 hours, as many times as you can ride). This was their first time skiing so while they did the lessons and were starting to get a comfort level on the skis, I wanted something really easy for them but fun for all of us. I was afraid that my 5 yr old nervous nellie would do the slide one time, get scared and sit the rest of the paid time out. She loved it! My 3 year old is fearless, and he absolutely loved it! If your kids aren't great skiiers or want the fun of skiing without all the gear and uncomfortable equipment, I recommend the tubing. All the fun, none of the awkward equipment.

1 Thank Jacquelyn W
Dswanson30, Manager at Angel Fire Resort, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear Jacquelyn W,
Thank you very much for the review of Angel Fire Resort and the Snowbear Camp. We pride ourselves on the family experience and the camp is a huge part of that. We're thrilled to hear that you and your family enjoyed your vacation and home that you come back for the great summer or winter activities!