“Value for money stay”

Poonam Haveli
Gurgaon
“Value for money stay”
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

The hotel is a no frill, low cost hotel. The fantastic part of the hotel is the view of Lake Pichola from the terrace and reasonably good food. Though the location is in the crowded part of the old town -we had a good time as most of the attractions were in walking distance.

The bathrooms were small and not clean. The bed was not too comfortable and had bed sheets which were not well cleaned. Although they claim free wifi - the connectivity is pathetic.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I chose Poonam Haveli based on the Lonely Planet recommendation on two trips to Udaipur this year and had a great experience both times. The location is brilliant - just behind the Jagdish Temple and only 5 minutes' walk from City Palace. The hotel is traditionally decorated without feeling kitschy, rooms are large with super-comfy beds (which isn't often the case in India I found...) and everything was spotlessly clean. Staff are genuinely kind and attentive and I always felt very welcome and well looked after. The restaurant serves Indian as well as some French foods and by far the best pizzas I've had in India - only topped by an amazing sunset view of Lake Pichola from the rooftop terrace. I would gladly recommend this place to anyone visiting Udaipur - you won't regret it.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kat L
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I ended up staying here for one night after I arrived after curfew at my hotel to find the doors locked. This was a lovely room, clean, bright and airy, with a nice bathroom en suite. The hotel manager speaks fluent English and French and is very welcoming and chatty. The manager, Soni, arranged a miniature-painting art lesson for me with the lovely Guddu, a fantastic artist and patient teacher, which turned into lunch and a game of cards with other travellers, so it was a nice way to meet people and a pleasant way to spend an afternoon. The hotel is in a great location, close to all the main touristy things (museum, palace, temple etc). I also ate in the rooftop restaurant, and the food and the views were both lovely. I fell in love with Udaipur as a city on the whole and have been recommending a visit there to anyone who will listen. I think that this hotel would be perfect for my parents/retired people or those who like a bit of luxury and the standard was as you would expect from a good western hotel as opposed to a hostel or guesthouse. For those on a tighter budget, travelling solo or looking for more homely style accommodation rather than a hotel, then the guest house opposite is probably what you are looking for (Lake View Guest House).

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
New delhi
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I have booked that hotel on 17th Nov 2012 for new year and paid 7000. But I have cancelled my booking due to my mother illness on 19th Dec 2012. The hotel Manager (09828193232) assured me he will return my full money if all room will be booked on same date otherwise he will refund my 50% money. When I was called on 29th Dec 2012 hotel management told me all room were booked and no room available for booking.

But after 100 of calls till date I have not received any money from them.

Now I can say if they can't fulfill their promise how can they give good service to customer.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ravibans
Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Poonam Haveli is really great hotel: perfect location, clean nice rooms, helpful staff, good food and the best thing is the rooftop restaurant which has an amazing view of the lake palace. Don't miss the sunset from the rooftop. The most important for me was that our group of 5 girls felt really welcome there and all the staff was professional and kind to us, which was not the case in some other places during the rest of the trip in India. I would recommend this place to everyone.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Poonam Haveli is right in the thick of Udaipur with a fabulous rooftop terrace/restaurant and characterful rooms. It was a little noisy but that is to be expected from the location. The staff were wonderful and they went above and beyond to help us plan the rest of our trip. This was my first experience of India and it was an excellent one!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Pace del Mela, Italy
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We spent three nights at the Poonam Haveli and we liked it most of all for its location: it's in the very center of the old part of Udaipur, so it's perfect to visit the surrounding area full of temples, little shops and restaurants. The Pichola lake - one of the most remarkable features toiurists like in Udaipur - is just around the corner and you get a wonderful view of the lake and its palace if you go up to the great terrace restaurant of the hotel. I have to mention the kindness of the waiters of the restaurant that helped me in all possible way to get over some... stomach troubles!

Room Tip: Ask for a top-floor room: you'l have the chance to enjoy the beautiful view of the Pichola lake.