“Great location & comfortable stay”
Review of Poonam Haveli

Poonam Haveli
Bengaluru, India
“Great location & comfortable stay”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Clean & comfortable rooms and bathrooms. Good interiors & well decorated spacious corridors where you can relax.
The roof top restaurant is calm and inviting with a spectacular view of the lake. The night view of the palace and the lake shining with lights is amazing. Food at this restaurant is good except for Pizza. Breakfast was complimentary and they were able to help with something as early as 7:30 as we had an early flight.
The city palace is a 5 mins walk & main market area and restaurants are very close by.
We had a very relaxing and comfortable stay . Just wish they had a TV in the room.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank nivedita2408

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Hebrew first
Sydney
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We travelled from Jaipur to Udaipur by train and arrived at 930pm. There was no railway conductor on the train to announce the station, so we had to rely on the map and our estimation. Guess we were to comfortable after 30 days travelling in India, we made a mistake - got off too early. When we dragged our for big luggages with two young kids on the pitchment road at night, I said to myself, whereever this place is, I am going to have an adventure. It took me a while to spot a lady with laptop in her arms instead of bag on her head. I asked her where am I? She informed me I got off at the old Udaipur station. "but don't worry, Udaipur is a small town. I can help you with texi." It took 5 minutes for the texi to come and 14 minutes drive from old Udaipur station to Poonam Haveli. The roof top restaurant staff were so nice, they even cooked some naan and soup for us. It was beautiful to see Udaipur from the roof top of the hotel. No wonder the Lonely Planet mentioned this city is the most romantic city in India. I couldn't agree more. The rooms were clean, beds were big. But not enough shelfing system for our clothes. The reading area on each floor was very nice.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank donnabailey1972
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 13 April 2014

At first I will mention the pros: The rooms were clean in general and the bathroom was also quite ok. The rooms were maintained but nothing special and on a really basic standard. The hotel is located in the city center and you can reach everything quite easily.

Cons:

Check In: We told them, that we will arrive between 11:00-12:00 PM. When we realized that we will be too late, I informed them, that we will arrive between 12:00 and 01:00 AM. At the time of Check-In the "boy" was unfriendly (I think, because we disturbed him, while sleeping).

Warm water: Do not expect that you will get warm or hot water during late afternoon or early evening. There is only cold water but you will survive (even its a very short shower).

Breakfast: Even the breakfast is quite good, they failed to organise it! It is not a buffet breakfast (which will definitely make it easier for them to handle it), it is a continental breakfast. So you have to order: The waiter forgets something, is sometimes unpolite and so were not very happy. On the first morning we had to wait about 30-40 minutes until everbody got what he/she ordered (that was ok), but on the second morning we waited for more than an hour! This is not acceptable at all!

Camel: They have camels as cruet stands (the things which contains salt and pepper) in their restaurant. Unfortunately, a collegue didn´t pay attention and broke the salt cellar (the head of the camel) off. We told it to the waiter with no reaction. When I went to my room (the others were still siting there) he told me, that we have to pay 600 Rupees (that is 8,50 €, overpriced). I begun to laugh because this is not common in the hospitality industry at all (I know it, because I´m working in this field). At the reception they told me that is expensive because they brought it from Jaisalmer! Maybe you will find the same in Udaipur for 30 Rupees....

Noise: The walls are very thin so you can hear everything from outside. When guests go up/downstairs or snore during the night, you will definitely hear them. Maybe you also wake up, when the muezzin (mosque) is calling for the first prayer in the morning. So do not forgtt your ear plugs.

Extra bed: I also asked for 2 extra beds and we also got them (for Rs. 600 per person/night). These extra beds were mattresses on the floor. After the first night, I complained about this. At first, the guy at the reception didn´t react at all (No Sir, it is not possible). After ask him if we can us the bench from the seating area, it was possible. I really felt like someone else and not a guest.

Check-Out: At the time of Check-Out I paid the accomodation and the broken camel. I booked trough booking.com (and they gurantee that there are any credit card fees) but I paid 404 Rupees credit card payment fee extra! I was argueeing with them, but they denied to cancel this fee (eventough we booked 4 rooms, for 2 nights and paid 20.000 Rupees (about 250€)). So keep in mind, that they also charge you a credit card fee!

To sum it up: Do not go there! They try to cheat you everytime and they are not helpfull at all. They only have the dollar signs in their eyes and you as a guest are not important for them.

For sure you will find a better accomodation for the same price or a bit more, but I can really recommend NOT to go to Poonam Haveli! Eventough you go there, it´s your own fault!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank philipp_val
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2014

From the outset the service was below par. Staff seemed disinterested and the front desk was always empty. The staff in the hotel were unforthcoming when we asked for advise on the local area, only suggesting their own restaurant.

The restaurant was particularly bad - after waiting for 10 minutes we had to prompt the staff to bring us menus. Food was average and double the price of others in the area which were recommended by lonely planet (and much nicer). Their claim of serving authentic Italian food is farcical. For example there were large clumps of ginger in my penne Neapolitan. Whether these were added on purpose or found their way in by accident remains a mystery.

With regards to the room there was no natural light, the air freshener was over bearing reminiscent of those found in urinals, the shower head was broken and the water was cold. The whole room stunk.

On the plus side the room was clean and the hotel is well located.

All in all, when the competition is so fierce there are many points for improvement. There lots of hotels nearby and given a second chance, I would definitely choose to stay in one of them instead.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Udaipur, India
Reviewed 24 March 2014

The Poonam Haveli in the Lal Ghat region of Udaipur is, in my experience, a friendly, co-operative and well run hotel with pleasant rooms and a good restaurant (not surprising as the owners have had their own restaurant in Marseille, France)
Compared with many hotels in India, it's a real find and when back in Udaipur, I will make a bee line for it

Room Tip: Ask to be shown what rooms are available
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 17 March 2014

The bathroom door was hard to close. The room was stinking throughout our trip. Also the breakfast in the hotel was not good. The waiter sulked when we pointed out mistakes in the food. The juice was bitter and despite request they did not change.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

After being told there were only delux rooms available and that we would have to pay the highest rate per night we checked in for three nights. Not only was our room tiny and damp but we had no hot water and the shower was not working at all. After asking for our room to be changed they moved us to a similar sized room with the same issues. After complaining for the third time they finally moved us to a room on a higher floor which was bigger and finally had a working shower. Not sure why we paid the highest amount for the first night when we were given a sub-par room. The breakfast and restaurant upstairs were amazing and was the only saving grace for this hotel. Also don't book any trains through the hotel as we were put on the wrong train even after explaining it was not the train we wanted he assured us it would take us to the same place and the same time... It did not. It caused us to miss our flight and we had to fork out another $300 for flights.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple