““Amazing! One of the best hotels ever!!!””

The Leela Palace Udaipur
Ranked #1 of 175 Hotels in Udaipur
Reviewed 19 December 2011

A unique palace – hotel is an extraordinary palace at the lake pichhola The room is huge and provides you with everything you need. The staff does everything in their power to assist you and to meet all your needs and to do your stay as pleasant as possible. Just amazing service. Rose petals in the bath. Instant service. beautiful location ..good food they make you feel really special at every point be it spa treatment or a boat ride or special dinner each and every staff attending you treat you like maharajahs special thanks to Mr Hemanshu who was there from the airport till the hotel with us and also Mr man singh for running behind us with his broad smile and the umbrella ...ooooo also if you are in Udaipur you must need to have dinner at sheesh mahel in house restaurant of leela best food ever very very good service thanks to Ashish who was attending when we were there..last but Staying at LeelaPalace is an experience that I wish everyone at least once in their lifetime should have.
I looked for a downside without finding one. However it does have one came back with very good memory, surely I will come back whenever I can.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,018)

Reviewed 10 December 2011

We stayed 2 nights in this hotel. The arrival is an experience you do not want to miss. They bring you by boat to the hotel, you get a shower of rose leaves and a very welcome feeling. We were upgraded to a suite, this was one of the best suites I ever saw. It is bigger then a lot of apartments in cities. We even got a foot massage upon arrival.

The location is unique, the property is well kept and everything looks beautiful I cannot say anything else. This hotel would be in our top 3 list if they had other staff.

Bad service:

- Staff speaks very bad English. During breakfast I ordered 2 fried eggs, I had to say it 3 times before he understood me, same was with ordering food and coffee one night.

- Staff promised things, but does not deliver.
- When I asked the concierge for a new room key he asked for my room number, when I asked my second question (at the same time) he asked again for my room number, this is a lack of interest in the guests whom you are speaking with.

- The pool boy is not happy doing his work, he shows that.

- We would get a camel safari. When I asked my butler for more information he said that the concierge would come to us with more information. The concierge never came and I did not get a camel safari.

- We sat near the lake and wanted coffee, we asked one of the staff members for some coffee, he said a colleague would take our order and he would send her/him. Nobody showed up and we left after 20 minutes.

Not clean:

- The changing room of the pool is not cleaned during our stay. The first day I discovered towels there (is possible if people are changing) and I saw slippers in front of a shower, the next day (24 hours later) the more used towels were there and the slippers were not removed

- The way to the room in the palace wing is partly open the rooms are on one side, the rooms have glass with wood. The wood is not clean, they clean is partially and not in the corners.

Overal a negative experience for the price you pay.
Things we loved:
- the gym
- the view
- the room
- the open outdoor restaurant

Afterwards I had several times contact with the front office manager. He really took care of the problems and called other Leela hotels we are staying in about our experience, so they could look after us. This is the service you expect and made a lot good!

If the staff problems are solved, this can be one of the best hotels in the world!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2011

We (me & my wife) stayed at Leela Palace for 2 nights. The property has a grandeur which is umatachable. It looks majestic, beautiful, contemporary, royal etc. etc. So 11 out of 10 for this!! This is little obvious also, because its a newly built property, unlike say Taj, which is a heritage site.

However, unfortunately the service is not great & i would give it 7 on 10.
Restaurants: There was lack of consistency in the service. The stewards looked overworked & didnt seemed too keen to serve.
Spa: It was amazing. They have ESPA there. The treatments, rooms, therapists, all were great. Must Experience.
Concierge: Again didnt seemed perfect. Our pick up was late by 30 mins. The drop to the airport was mis-coordinated etc.

My wife even organized a special dinner here also (called dinner at Gym Lawn).. Not worth the penny.. Food was ok, service was slow.. A bad experience despite being the special dinner.
I had a chance to speak with the GM of the hotel after i wrote my feedack to them. It seemed that the people at the top were very humble & pro-active towards customer service, however, still the goof-ups happened due to the people at lower level.

Overall: The property is nice. I would not reject it outright, but with my experience, i would prefer Taj.

Room Tip: Choose Heritage View Room.. The view from this room is excellent.. U can see the lake, jagmandir, ci...
Reviewed 27 November 2011

We stayed in this beautiful palace for 4 nights, during our recent trip to India. I have to say that this is a very impressive place, the service is excellent, the setting is a dream and the Spa is sublime. The service and personal attention is exactly how it should be for a 5 star hotel.
However, our final night and following day turned into a complete nightmare, after eating at the hotel restaurant. I am not one to dramaticise events and my stomach is normally pretty good (for the previous two weeks of my trip there had been no complaint and I have not been ill all year) but around 6 hours after having dinner at the hotel restaurant, my stomach started cramping and I knew I was in trouble. The next day, until 1pm was spent in vomiting, so much so that I asked the front desk to call a medic. Then I had to check out to leave from Mumbai.
I am still puzzled why this illness happened and am still waiting for the Leela to send me the investigations into food preparation at one of its restaurants. Apparently I was the first person ever to have been sick in the hotel, which I can believe, but something went wrong. Having worked in 4 star hotels previously, I also have to state that although the rooms look immaculate, daily cleaning could be better. I don't believe that our floor was ever moped/washed during our 4 night stay (or if it was it was not very well cleaned) - swept with a broom yes, but not wet moped.
The hotel concierge, also stating to me that I should take the hotel taxi to the airport (five times more expensive than a local taxi) as the outside service is not trustworthy, is a joke (though rickshaws are fine to take in the city). I really had no option but to take the hotel taxi as I was still virtually being sick as I left the hotel.
Generally, excellent service, a fantastic location, great for relaxation, but what happened to me was totally unacceptable for an establishment of this stature and nature.

9  Thank Samueldev
Reviewed 26 November 2011

We were taken to the palace by a small water boat. Once on the property, you are treated like royalty, from falling rose petals, to music as you entered the main doors.
The property is simply Gorgeous. This definitely rates as one of the top hotels I have ever stayed in my life, I can compare it to The Peninsula in Bangkok.

Room Tip: All of them are GREAT rooms with great views
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 November 2011

The best hotel I have ever stayed at.
From the moment we arrived we felt special
You arrive by boat are showered by rose petals and are greeted by lovely staff.
The interior and exterior are beautifully appointed, the pool second to none (as is the pool boy)
The views are spectacular.
Both restaurants we ate in were superb the Sheesh Mahal was an experience not to be missed.
Although expensive its worth every penny, definately stay here if you are visiting the wonderful city of Udaipur.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 November 2011

We stayed in luxury hotels throughout this our special 25th wedding anniversary trip but this hotel surpassed them all! In fact I would go so far as to say that this is the best hotel we have stayed in anywhere in the world. From the moment we arrived by boat and were showered with rose petals we were treated like royalty. The check in was undertaken in our room and was quick and efficient - we were taken through everything that we needed to know about the facilities (which didn't happen in most other hotels), and introduced to our "personal butler". The room was enormous with walk-in wardrobe, and a separate shower-room and bathroom, it had every amenity you could ask for, with lots of convenient mirrors and daily treats of chocolates and biscuits. The staff were absolutely amazing with every one of them bowing and saying namaste every time they encountered you in the corridors - which I must admit I found a bit much at first but soon found I was loving !! The communal areas of the hotel, both inside and out were simply breathtaking as were the views from our Lake View balcony.
One night we ate at the hotel's Sheesh Mahal restaurant and can honestly say this was a dining experience second to none - don't miss it. The pool was also brilliant, with lots of treats of fresh fruit, juice, ice cream and our sunglasses and reading glasses were cleaned every time we went there by the very attentive pool boy. Splash out on this hotel it you possibly can because you will definitely not be disappointed. Finally Udaipur itself is the best place we visited in the whole of our three week trip I wish we had booked to stay longer than three nights,we felt very safe when walking around the streets and the local people were very pleasant and polite. I could write pages of wonderful things about Udaipur and the Leela but please just visit and try it for yourselves. I will definitely be recommending it to anyone I know visiting India.