“need to experience once” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Leela Palace Udaipur

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Leela Palace Udaipur
Ranked #2 of 151 Hotels in Udaipur
Ahmedabad, India
“need to experience once”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2010

one of the best experience in my life with one of the best hotel groups in one of their properties..

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank pareshparikh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2010

Not sure that I can add anything that's not been said already about this simply wonderful hotel. Arrived on our wedding anniversary and were made to feel special right from the start as it seemed as though every member of staff hotel knew about it. We were also given so many treats - welcome drinks, hors d'oeuvres, cake for our anniversary, upgrade to a suite which all added up to an unforgettable stay. The hotel is beautifully furnished and decorated throughout and was obviously finished to an extremely high standard when it opened just over a year ago. Every member of staff goes out of their way to be helpful and polite without being intrusive. Floor butlers are a great touch and are masters at getting the level of personal service just right - Sayantan has an excellent sense of humour with nothing being too much trouble. Food was outstanding throughout our stay and we spent a fun couple of hours making and trying cocktails with Puneet Dutta in the Library bar. Whilst we were there India had a 24 hour strike and the Chef Concierge, Vikram, spent ages helping us to re-arrange our travel plans - also meant we had to stay another night, which was no hardship as we really didn't want to leave anyway. We had planned to eat at the Lake Palace but saw no reason to head over there when the food and service were so good so just enjoyed the view from the Leela Palace instead. The Lake was starting to fill up after a couple of evenings of monsoon rain so we'll just have to go back to enjoy the view of the hotel from the lake - can't wait!. Watch out Lake Palace and Udaivilas you'd better not rest on your laurels, there's a new kid in town!

Dix Hills, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2010

Pros: I could write on forever in this section, but I will try and be brief and give you some highlights of how far they go to make you feel like royalty. First needless to say the accomodations and facilities were immaculate. The room was around twice the size of a regular hotel room. The pool was huge, and really well done, as well as the spa. The restaurant was also excellent. Now the little things which I've never seen before which made the stay special 1. They give you a flower garland on arrival 2. they shower you with flower petals before you go up to your room. 3. When you check in they do all the paperwork in the room, during which time they have drinks and snacks which are to your preferances waiting for you on arrival. 4. Each floor has a butler which is was always there so if you needed anything someone is there. 5. The bulter will run ahead of you and get the elevator and push the freakin button for you, if he knows where you are going. 6. Free internet in the business center 7. My wife ordered appetizers and I didnt. They gave me a small glass of her appetizer to sample while she was eating. 8. The reception was exceptional Priyank who mainly helped us, gave us a departing gift, as well and helped with any arrangements. I almost felt that I should have given them a gift cause their service was so good.
Cons: I'm hard pressed to write anything here, but since nothing is ever perfect. I will say the location is a little isolated the car approach to this hotel is small and twisted. So walking out of the hotel and doing things will be hard.
Overall: If I could stay here for forever I would. I usually rate hotels highly if they treat me as well as family but even my family doesnt treat me this well. Even though this place was priced much more than the average hotels we stayed at in india I felt this place was a bargain for all the luxury and services they provided, I felt good about the price. Which is very rare for me.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2010

I was totally blown away by the service at the Leela hotel. My husband and I have stayed in other 5 star hotels, but this hotel was well above the rest. They should have 10 stars :) They gave us a traditional welcome with jasmine garlands. They then took us to our room to proceed with the check in, The size was the room was amazing. It was like a little apartment. It was very spacious. They gave us a refreshing watermelon drink while we checked it which was fantastic after our long journey on the train. During the check in process we were introduced to our on floor butler. After they left we found that they has also laid out traditional Indian sweets for us to eat. They were delicious. The room was sparkling clean. The rooms had a large shower, a walk in wardrobe, one room with just a bath in it and a large bedroom and living area. They service was very prompt and they went always took their service one step further every time. For example, my husband and I wanted two plates to be brought upto our room. They delivered not only plates, but cutlery and napkins and a few bowls also. They just thought of everything. The food at the restaurant was excellent. The mushroom soup was the best soup I've ever had. I happen to mention this in the comments card i wrote on before leaning the hotel and by the time I got home I saw an email from the hotel with the soup recipe in my inbox - unbelievable!! The western food was exceptional. The appearance of the hotel was very clean and just perfect. it was a great escape and very relaxing. My husband and I visited the pool, which was very clean and a good sized pool. I was sitting on the deck chairs listening to music and they brought over a pool basket which had water, ice tea, magazines to keep you quenched and entertained. It was perfect. We also used the spa. They had a special going on for couples so we made use of that. They came to out room just to escort us to the spa area. The spa itself was fabulous. I literally fell asleep. It was very relaxing. I had a facial and my husband had a massage. They treated you like royalty and the service exceeded our expectations and more. Nothing was a problem for them and they were more than happy to meet your needs. It was very helpful, convenient and comfortable. I would to Udaipur just to come to stay at the Leela and relax in luxury. I didn't want to leave! :)) We'll definitely be back at the Leela. Plus the internet in the business room is free - how awesome is that!! :)

Delhi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2010

My family has never felt so nostalgic as they felt while leaving Leela. It was one of the most memorable we have had in the recent past.

Right from the moment we arrived at the Airport till we left this marvelouavs property, every moment was made special by the Leela staff. They have luxury Limos (Nissan Teanas) for Airport transfer. Since the Jetty's were closed we traveled thru the interiors of the old city and got to experience the real Udaipur. As expected, we were welcomed in traditional Rajasthani style and were escorted straight to the Heritage View Room where in the Butler completed the check-in formalities. These kind of facilities are available only if you are booked in some Royal Suite or if you a Platinum member but Leela follows as it a practice and they definitely deserve a special mention for this.

The Heritage rooms have an astounding view of the Pichola Lake, City Palace, Old City, Gardens and the Pool. Nothing can be more fascinating than getting up in the morning and enjoying this view from your balcony. The size of the rooms is great, fully loaded with all the amenities and they are contemporary, traditional, luxurious & royal at the same time.

Food is amazing. Thanks to the Executive Chef (I forgot his name). He is a French guy and he ensures that he meets & greets all the guests in the restaurant and takes their feedback about the food, service & hospitality. Unfortunately, their second restaurant- Sheesh Mehal was closed.

The Pool is quite big and they will serve you with welcome basket everytime you are there. Home made Ice creams, Sorbets, Fresh Fruits and Ice Tea are served on the house. I am sure you haven’t heard of such freebies in any of the 5* luxury properties.

The staff is extremely friendly, hospitable and professional and will go to any extent to make you comfortable.

We keep reading about “Atithi Devo Bhav” in various Advertisements on TV & in Travel Magazines but if you really want to have a first hand experience, Leela Udaipur is the place to be.

Thanks to Tamir & his team for a wonderful experience. All the Best for your upcoming property in Delhi.

God Bless!

Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank delhitraveller78
New Delhi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2010

It was marvellous staying at this hotel, May 6-9, 2010, for a conference. The ambiance, service, extraordinary staff and outstanding cuisine made this a memorable experience. I recommend this hotel highly: it is impeccable, and luxurious beyond compare.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Vadodara, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2010

Our trip to udaipur was just decided in 2 days time and we were off to udaipur via ahmedabad. The roads to udaipur were excellent (4 lane)and hence the drive to and fro was a stress free and enjoyable experiance.

We were greeted with traditional Indian style flowers and tilak and unlike filling forms and waiting in the reception for completing the check-inn formalities. we were directly escorted to our rooms

The rooms were spacious (650 sq. ft.) including defined sitting area, balcony facing lake and heritage site, movable LCD, a separate shower area, a separate room with spacious Tub from where you can see the LCD also. a big closet, infact a walk in wardrobe with huge luggage space, space for hangers, big drawers , enough space to accomodate 1 months clothes. telephones available everywhere you require. bottles of water placed everywhere you can think of drinking with out getting in between your vision. choice of pillows were there. An office desk is provided for any sort of work. the size was as good as we may require in a normal executive office with all required electrical and internet connections ready.

major news papers were provided everyday. varieties of chocolates and sweets were provided daily in the room along with apples. usually Butler services are provided when you go for a club suite (like in LEELA KOVALAM)or a villa(like in ROYAL VILLA , LEELA GOA) or a high end room. But we were provided with a Butler who was right there whenever we can just think about, standing out and readily waiting for instructions. each and every staff were always there to extend their help, always looking for task from us. this is very rare to find.

coming to the architecture of the hotel, it was very rich and elegant but also quite sober and soothing. we can see marble benches with colourfull pillows whenever and whereever you want to sit and relax. Silver articles and also chairs made from silver were seen in open areas. VERY SIMPLE , SOBER AND ELEGANT. special mention on the spiral staircase enclosure made from alloy metal going right to the top floor looked beautifull. all around the lobbies we could see rectangular marble water pots with flower petals, changed regularily everyday.

coming to restaurant and food, since it was moonsoon only one restaurant was open. the other( SHEESH MAHAL) being closed. Its a known fact that if the food is excellent you tend to forget and compromise on any other lapse in services, but i must say the here at leela udaipur the quality and variety of food enhanced and enriched our experiance much more. To serve to our require ments was going to be very very difficult as we had asked for strict JAIN FOOD which means preparing food not only without onion, garlic and potatoes but also without carrots, beets, baingan, mushrooms, palak or any other bhaji's etc... And you wont believe we had 7 diiferent cuisines during our stay fulfilling our above requirements and that too in 7 course.We had Punjabi, south Indian, North Indian, chinese, thai, italian, mexican. nothing repeated. eggless deserts everyday right into our room on special requests. inshort FANTASTIC FOOD.

we also used the spa for massage and facial. the set up was something different(Tent style) however the treatment was of a normal spa. the health club was well equipped but could improve further. Swimming pool was nice but lacked shallow area for kids or non - swimmers.

I would like to make a special mention of 3 people who i feel made our stay a very special one. First our Butler Mr. ANKUSH KATWAL from Jammu with his always smiling face and everreadiness to serve us continuously for 4 days taking extended shifts for 12 hours just so that we may never have to explain our requirement to another person. Also a special mention for our Chef Mr. Saurabh Tyagi who took extra efforts , learnt our requirement tried to understand Jainism just to know the basic reasons for this restrictions and then feeding us with right ingrediants and tastes. this cant be done without true devotion and feelings towards guests. Lastly but not least The GM Mr. Tamir Kobrin whom we never had the oppurtunity to meet personally but who we feel is the person behind this Hotels culture which truly reminds us of traditional indian customs of treating the guests. "ATITHEE DEVO BHAVA"

We have been to TAJ LAKE PALACE, THE UDAIVILAS (OBEROI) AT UDAIPUR both equally good but for the experiance of a lifetime We would definitely visit LEELA again and highly recommend for holidays every year.This property can be rated a little higher than The club @ LEELA KOVALAM AND LEELA GOA whom we have frequented earlier.

DILESH MEHTA

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Dileshmehta
tkobrin, General Manager at The Leela Palace Udaipur, responded to this review, 8 July 2010
Dear Ms. Mehta,

Thank you for taking the time to share with the readers your experience. They say an excellent business is one that generates future business with positive word of mouth, well, you have done just that. The team and I are honored to have been noticed for the continued hard work and dedication to making the Leela Palace Kempinski in Udaipur the top choice for the discerning traveler to Udaipur. We have two formidable competitors and these experiences, shared with others, enable us to compete at the same level and make a difference.

Tamir Kobrin