“Get Pampered”

The Leela Palace Udaipur
Ranked #1 of 167 Hotels in Udaipur
Reviewed 30 July 2010

Udaipur in June was an unusual choice for a weekend break, but as I planned to spend the holiday only to relax (after months of exam preparation), the stay at Leela Palace Hotel in Udaipur turned out to be perfect.

Leela Palace Hotel is located right at the bank of lake pichola, so in summers when the lake is dry, they offer great off-season discounts (I paid <10K per night for a room, that goes upto 30K in peak season). It was my first stay at a Leela property and I had read very encouraging reviews about the hotel. And my experience turned out to be even better.

Pick up at the airport (with a comfortable luxury car, cold towels, soothing music) set the tone for a wonderful reception at the hotel. As the lake was dry, the car dropped us to the hotel entrance from where we were taken to the hotel lobby in a golf cart. The welcome at the lobby included a welcome song by the folk singers, aarti and a shower of rose petals but what I liked the most was that we were taken straight to our rooms and check-in was done inside the rooms itself (Really appreciated after a long day at the airport/flight!)
The room was very comfortable (all amenities expected from a 5-star and much more) and luxurious. In fact, even the view from the room exceeded expectations. A dry lake gave way to huge field with green grass all over it, which combined with mountains in the background and views of Jag Mandir from the room were beautiful. It was our perfect abode during the hot days when we spent our time reading, while the large swimming pool helped us cool down in early mornings and early evenings, when part of the pool is hidden from the sunlight. The evenings in the hotel were really pleasant, as due to its location, the hotel courtyards are very airy. (I and hubby actually spent hours just walking around after dinner!) Food was delicious (though I would have loved more Rajasthani options).

While I can put a long list of facilities the hotel offered, what I cannot accurately describe in words is the hospitality extended to us by the staff. We were literally pampered throughout our stay. The people at the hotel (right from the cab driver to the GM) treat the guests with a warm smile. In fact you see so many smiling faces in the hotel that the smile never goes away from your own face. They really go out of their way for your comfort. I have been to other 5 star hotels in India (Taj, Hyatt) but the hospitality here really stood out by a big margin. A big ‘thanks’ to all of them for making my stay truly memorable!

One negative point: The approach road to the hotel is in a really bad shape , so if you are planning to take a walk outside the hotel, it may not be very comfortable.

PS: My husband, who is a gym freak loved the gym facilities and says the trainer was one of the best he has seen.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shelzee
Write a ReviewReviews (1,971)

Reviewed 27 July 2010

one of the best experience in my life with one of the best hotel groups in one of their properties..

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank pareshparikh
Reviewed 23 July 2010

Not sure that I can add anything that's not been said already about this simply wonderful hotel. Arrived on our wedding anniversary and were made to feel special right from the start as it seemed as though every member of staff hotel knew about it. We were also given so many treats - welcome drinks, hors d'oeuvres, cake for our anniversary, upgrade to a suite which all added up to an unforgettable stay. The hotel is beautifully furnished and decorated throughout and was obviously finished to an extremely high standard when it opened just over a year ago. Every member of staff goes out of their way to be helpful and polite without being intrusive. Floor butlers are a great touch and are masters at getting the level of personal service just right - Sayantan has an excellent sense of humour with nothing being too much trouble. Food was outstanding throughout our stay and we spent a fun couple of hours making and trying cocktails with Puneet Dutta in the Library bar. Whilst we were there India had a 24 hour strike and the Chef Concierge, Vikram, spent ages helping us to re-arrange our travel plans - also meant we had to stay another night, which was no hardship as we really didn't want to leave anyway. We had planned to eat at the Lake Palace but saw no reason to head over there when the food and service were so good so just enjoyed the view from the Leela Palace instead. The Lake was starting to fill up after a couple of evenings of monsoon rain so we'll just have to go back to enjoy the view of the hotel from the lake - can't wait!. Watch out Lake Palace and Udaivilas you'd better not rest on your laurels, there's a new kid in town!

Reviewed 18 July 2010

Pros: I could write on forever in this section, but I will try and be brief and give you some highlights of how far they go to make you feel like royalty. First needless to say the accomodations and facilities were immaculate. The room was around twice the size of a regular hotel room. The pool was huge, and really well done, as well as the spa. The restaurant was also excellent. Now the little things which I've never seen before which made the stay special 1. They give you a flower garland on arrival 2. they shower you with flower petals before you go up to your room. 3. When you check in they do all the paperwork in the room, during which time they have drinks and snacks which are to your preferances waiting for you on arrival. 4. Each floor has a butler which is was always there so if you needed anything someone is there. 5. The bulter will run ahead of you and get the elevator and push the freakin button for you, if he knows where you are going. 6. Free internet in the business center 7. My wife ordered appetizers and I didnt. They gave me a small glass of her appetizer to sample while she was eating. 8. The reception was exceptional Priyank who mainly helped us, gave us a departing gift, as well and helped with any arrangements. I almost felt that I should have given them a gift cause their service was so good.
Cons: I'm hard pressed to write anything here, but since nothing is ever perfect. I will say the location is a little isolated the car approach to this hotel is small and twisted. So walking out of the hotel and doing things will be hard.
Overall: If I could stay here for forever I would. I usually rate hotels highly if they treat me as well as family but even my family doesnt treat me this well. Even though this place was priced much more than the average hotels we stayed at in india I felt this place was a bargain for all the luxury and services they provided, I felt good about the price. Which is very rare for me.

Reviewed 18 July 2010

I was totally blown away by the service at the Leela hotel. My husband and I have stayed in other 5 star hotels, but this hotel was well above the rest. They should have 10 stars :) They gave us a traditional welcome with jasmine garlands. They then took us to our room to proceed with the check in, The size was the room was amazing. It was like a little apartment. It was very spacious. They gave us a refreshing watermelon drink while we checked it which was fantastic after our long journey on the train. During the check in process we were introduced to our on floor butler. After they left we found that they has also laid out traditional Indian sweets for us to eat. They were delicious. The room was sparkling clean. The rooms had a large shower, a walk in wardrobe, one room with just a bath in it and a large bedroom and living area. They service was very prompt and they went always took their service one step further every time. For example, my husband and I wanted two plates to be brought upto our room. They delivered not only plates, but cutlery and napkins and a few bowls also. They just thought of everything. The food at the restaurant was excellent. The mushroom soup was the best soup I've ever had. I happen to mention this in the comments card i wrote on before leaning the hotel and by the time I got home I saw an email from the hotel with the soup recipe in my inbox - unbelievable!! The western food was exceptional. The appearance of the hotel was very clean and just perfect. it was a great escape and very relaxing. My husband and I visited the pool, which was very clean and a good sized pool. I was sitting on the deck chairs listening to music and they brought over a pool basket which had water, ice tea, magazines to keep you quenched and entertained. It was perfect. We also used the spa. They had a special going on for couples so we made use of that. They came to out room just to escort us to the spa area. The spa itself was fabulous. I literally fell asleep. It was very relaxing. I had a facial and my husband had a massage. They treated you like royalty and the service exceeded our expectations and more. Nothing was a problem for them and they were more than happy to meet your needs. It was very helpful, convenient and comfortable. I would to Udaipur just to come to stay at the Leela and relax in luxury. I didn't want to leave! :)) We'll definitely be back at the Leela. Plus the internet in the business room is free - how awesome is that!! :)

Reviewed 13 July 2010

My family has never felt so nostalgic as they felt while leaving Leela. It was one of the most memorable we have had in the recent past.

Right from the moment we arrived at the Airport till we left this marvelouavs property, every moment was made special by the Leela staff. They have luxury Limos (Nissan Teanas) for Airport transfer. Since the Jetty's were closed we traveled thru the interiors of the old city and got to experience the real Udaipur. As expected, we were welcomed in traditional Rajasthani style and were escorted straight to the Heritage View Room where in the Butler completed the check-in formalities. These kind of facilities are available only if you are booked in some Royal Suite or if you a Platinum member but Leela follows as it a practice and they definitely deserve a special mention for this.

The Heritage rooms have an astounding view of the Pichola Lake, City Palace, Old City, Gardens and the Pool. Nothing can be more fascinating than getting up in the morning and enjoying this view from your balcony. The size of the rooms is great, fully loaded with all the amenities and they are contemporary, traditional, luxurious & royal at the same time.

Food is amazing. Thanks to the Executive Chef (I forgot his name). He is a French guy and he ensures that he meets & greets all the guests in the restaurant and takes their feedback about the food, service & hospitality. Unfortunately, their second restaurant- Sheesh Mehal was closed.

The Pool is quite big and they will serve you with welcome basket everytime you are there. Home made Ice creams, Sorbets, Fresh Fruits and Ice Tea are served on the house. I am sure you haven’t heard of such freebies in any of the 5* luxury properties.

The staff is extremely friendly, hospitable and professional and will go to any extent to make you comfortable.

We keep reading about “Atithi Devo Bhav” in various Advertisements on TV & in Travel Magazines but if you really want to have a first hand experience, Leela Udaipur is the place to be.

Thanks to Tamir & his team for a wonderful experience. All the Best for your upcoming property in Delhi.

God Bless!

Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank delhitraveller78
Reviewed 9 July 2010

It was marvellous staying at this hotel, May 6-9, 2010, for a conference. The ambiance, service, extraordinary staff and outstanding cuisine made this a memorable experience. I recommend this hotel highly: it is impeccable, and luxurious beyond compare.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business