“A wonderful adventure”

Ranked #9 of 260 Udaipur B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“A wonderful adventure”
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at Dinesh Jain's Krishna Ranch for two nights, at the beginning and the conclusion of a four day horse riding safari. The Ranch itself is beautifully kept and a breath of fresh air compared to the noise which is a part of Indian city life. My husband and I chose to incorporate the horse ride as a part of our honeymoon in Rajasthan, and it became the absolute favourite part of our trip.

Dinesh's horses are very well cared for and extremely fit. His rides take you through beautiful scenery, from farmland to desert-scapes. Accommodation on the ride is very comfortable, sturdy tents, with comfy camp beds and snug quilts and blankets.

The Marwari horses are a treat for any horse lover or new rider to experience, however, if you are used to the riding protocols of the 'West' be prepared that not quite so much instruction is provided throughout the ride (although Dinesh is very attentive to safety). I rode a stallion throughout the trip, which greatly surprised me, but as it turned out, this horse was sweet, sensible, responsive, and very tolerant of traffic, noises etc.

On the whole, the ride felt like a rejuvenating adventure. The vegetarian food is absolutely delicious and you will never go hungry. You really get a sense that you are seeing India off the beaten track, and I think Dinesh takes great pride in showing visitors the aspects of rural life which he loves and the beautiful landscape with which he is so familiar.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Vadodara, India
Reviewed 22 November 2011

I was first taught to ride at the age of 5. Many a miserable day spent in cold UK riding schools has paid off. I love riding and I thought I would pass this onto my son. He is now 9 and loves riding. We live in India and we often travel through Udaipur so it has become our regular stopover. Our friends at Mountain Ridge introduced us to Dineshbai and his ranch.

Over the years Dineshbai has developed the ranch and is now building formal stables for the horses. As said by many other reviewers he takes great car of his animals and guests. Although we have often ridden on his horses we had never stayed there before. We really enjoyed our one night stop in one of his cottages. Very new and clean. Tastefully decorated and practical (but not very accessible for wheelchair users due to steps and narrow bathroom doors). It was lovely to wake up to fresh air, the smell of horses and a cup of tea made from milk from their own cows.

We enjoyed the food and my wife who uses a wheelchair sat outside with Nandani and they chatted in Hindi while my son and I rode with Dineshbai. We love the rides around the villages and up to the lake. My son has learnt basic riding and can now trot and is pretty close to being able to canter. We are very confident in Dinshbai's judgement. He know exactly which horse to give to whom and seems to understand what people want from the ride. We are planning a 5 day trek in January!

Lovely horses, lovely dog, lovely people, lovely accommodation... what more could you ask for!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Lokamitra
The Netherlands
Reviewed 13 November 2011

My aunt and I have just got back from three weeks in India. The object of the trip was to ride from Udaipur to the annual Pushkar Camel Fair with Dinesh Jain of the Krishna Ranch. The ride is 10 days so we tagged on some sightseeing before and after, which took us up to 3 weeks in total. The ride to the Camel Fair was just amazing. We were 12 riders from a variety of countries and backgrounds. Dinesh and his brother took excellent care of us. The horses were well looked after and my mount, a 16-hand black gelding called "Black Beauty" was a great ride. The first day was exciting and he soon settled into the daily rhythm but, oh boy, could he gallop! We rode 6-8 hours per day and slept in tents in various locations: beside a river, next to a lake, in the grounds of a Hindu temple or a local farm. We were 12 riders from various countries and backgrounds. Together with Dinesh and his team, we were 33 in all. The chapatti cooks were busy - 200 chapattis per day! The food was excellent. I prefer to go vegetarian in rural India and Dinesh's cook is superb. We went to the best restaurant in New Delhi on our last night before flying back to Europe, and the food we ate during the trek was up to the same standard. If you want to get away from the rat race, eat good food and get in some riding in fantastic surroundings, I can highly recommend this trip. Just be aware that you will be a major attraction for the rural Rajasthanis, who come in droves to look at the camp, but you soon get used to it!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
krishnaranch, Owner at Krishna Ranch, responded to this review, 11 December 2011
Thanks for your nice review ! We have set the dates for the Pushkar fair safari 2012: start 15th of November in Udaipur, finish 24th of November in Pushkar.
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 10 October 2011

I've been very lucky to ride with Dinesh on two different riding safaris out of the Krishna Ranch. My first was a three day trek and the second was the 10 ride to the Pushkar Camel Fair. The first trek was so fantastic--we ate incredible Indian food (the best we had in all of India, hands down) and the tents we slept in over night had beds with mattresses so we were cozy and warm each night. His horses are well trained but not boring--he has horses for every level of rider. I think that riding is the best way to really see a country and traveling through Rajesthan on horseback didn't disappoint--we rode through everything from small villages, to desert landscapes, to hidden temples and sand dunes. That first trek inspired my cousin and me to return a year and a half later for the Pushkar ride. Ten days is a long time to ride for, even if you are a regular rider like me, but the horses were fit and well looked after throughout the trek. Dinesh is a true horseman and takes great pride in his animals and their care (as well as his guests, of course!) The camel fair is a once in a lifetime experience; we rode in to a huge expanse of camels, cattle and horses, tents and trading stalls overflowing with horse tack, carnival rides and circus-like entertainment such as tight-rope walkers, camel racing, contortionists etc. That trek was probably the most rewarding travel experience I've ever had and I can't wait to go back to ride with Dinesh again one day.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 October 2011

I did a horse safari with Dinesh and his staff from the Krishna ranch in Udaipur to Ranakpur. That was the best vacations of my life, we crossed hills, villages, jungle... Slept in the nature seeing the stars over our heads. We went to places classical tourist will never see! Everybody was so kind, the horses fabulous, the food delicious. If you like nature, if you like horses, if you like respect, you will love it!!! I only can recommend you to try...

• Stayed November 2010
1 Thank sarah1001soins
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2011

Well mannered horses,and guests are well looked after...infact I,felt tempted to ask if i could buy off the grey stallion..!!!...The hostess nandini have to be appreciated,considering the amount of work she does and yet stays cheerfull...The cottage rooms have an ambience of tradition and culture.Mornings you wake up to the cry of wild peacocks and song birds...Well chosen tracks which allow a beautiful scenic horseback experience...all in all value for money!!

Just a slight dissapointment is that food provided though tasty is pure vegetarian,so vegetarians may may find this very interesting...

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2011

Two fat unfit forty-somethings with little riding experience rashly booked themselves onto a four-day riding safari with Dinesh and his team... and had a memorably wonderful time.

The countryside was varied and breathtakingly beautiful; the route well-chosen and off the tourist track; the horses were well cared-for, well-behaved, sure-footed and patient with beginners; the staff friendly and helpful (without the oppressive over-attentiveness that can mar the service in top hotels); the food was good (much of it produced at the ranch); and Dinesh was an interesting and thoughtful guide and an agreeable companion. An excursion by jeep at the end of the 3rd day was particularly memorable - but we won't spoil it by describing it in advance.

As unpractised riders, we were of course pretty sore after the first day - but it wore off, and by the fourth we were regretting that we hadn't booked a longer trip. We were a party of only two, so we were able to go at our own gentle pace - total beginners would probably be ill-advised to join a mixed-ability party for more than half a day. Accomodation was camping - basic but perfectly comfortable as long as you don't mind waiting for the ecstatic pleasure of the first hot shower after 4 days on horseback.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple