Krishna Ranch
US$28
Hotel Lakend(Udaipur)
US$104
US$97
The Leela Palace Udaipur(Udaipur)
US$330
  • Restaurant
Taj Lake Palace Udaipur(Udaipur)
US$395
US$498
Hotels.com
  • Pool
All reviewshorse ridemarwari horsesrural indiaday trekwild peacocksvillage lifeexperienced ridersbeautiful horsesthe cottagesriding experiencelove horsescrossing riversinteresting factsfelt very much at homemonsoon palacepeace and quietpeaceful place
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

I took a 5 day safari starting from Udaipur, ending at Ranakpur with a transfer back to Udaipur.
I have never seen more immaculately kept horses. Ever. They are loved and cared for by Dinesh and his men in all aspects, well fed, well shoed, well groomed and well ridden. These Marwari horses bred and stabled at Krishna ranch are a breed found only in India. They are svelte hipped, crescent eared, long haired, tall and energetic creatures, and amazingly soft to touch.They are beautiful to look at, and a dream to ride. Bred as war horses, their stamina and willingness to go is evident from the start.
The five day safari with Dinesh and his men through small villages in and around the Aravelli ranges near Udaipur took us through crisp, clean fields of wheat, mustard seed and sugarcane, flooding the landscape in green cascades over dark streaks of stone terrace walls. A flash of hot pink in the figure of a woman bent over her work, bright blue skies and trees submerged in the flood of perfect greens and gold would delight the eye wherever it looks. Even the more spartan dusty landscape of the scythed mountainsides provides fodder for the eyes: a lone tree on the crest of a hill, standing still and bent, silhouetted, bonsai like, against the stark white of a greying sky.
There is something age old and timeless about riding through unexplored lands, past rivers and mountains, valleys and groves, where stones are loose, trees embrace and fields of flowers open up the skies in welcome of a weary and wonderstruck traveller on a horse, just moseying along.
Such were my days on safari with Dinesh, walking, trotting and cantering along, day to day, camp to camp.
Camps were well set up, mostly by rivers, and very comfortable. Fresh cooked food every night, fresh brewed chai on arrival makes for a treat after a long day's ride. And hit washing water on demand was for me, a simple, very much appreciated luxury.
Dinesh and Francine were extremely accommodating of my itinerary requests which took me from Udaipur to a puja at a temple in Jargaji, to Kumbarlgarh to visit the magnificent fort and through the Kumbarlgarh sanctuary, culminating in a visit to the intricately carved Jain temple in Ranakpur.
It was, for me, a trip if a lifetime, that is, until I return for another, and another...
Thank you Dinesh and Francine, Suresh, Jagdish, Maden, Bagu and Ragu for a wonderful adventure. And thank you, Shapna, for moving like a dream.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Sheilin T
Reviewed 18 January 2014

If you are tired of cities and are looking for a little bit of Indian nature, this place is for you. Everything is perfect about it: rooms, cleanliness, staff, service. Highly recommended!

Walking to the countryside and around the lacs or just chilling out in the Terrace of tour bungalow are what I liked the most.

We also met some great people there and had a lot of fun during meals. Food is very good, it was the best breakfast we had in India!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Melie_C
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Fantastic way to experience the countryside in India. Very friendly host and really tasty food. The horseriding felt safe and we also learnd a lot about the area. I can also rekomende a 5 hour long trekking to the monsoon palace, beautiful view!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Travel N
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

Mother and daughter, both of us ride and have horses at home. Impressed from start to finish. The horses (and dogs!) were in cracking condition. Dinesh is a particularly empathic, understanding and knowledgeable horseman, who bought out the best out of the horses who were impeccably mannered, yet had spark and humour to them. They tether the horses, but let them loose individually during the day. No worse or better than stabling at home. We learned more about nutrition and feeding then we ever did at pony club or from vets in the UK. The food and accommodation is basic but wholesome. Would suggest more adventurous/ advance riders do a 2-3day trek, the 1day ride is more of a sightseeing on horseback affair, and although interesting it is a little less challenging.

Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 17 December 2013

My friend and I (we're both Americans in our 20's) stayed at the Taj Lake Palace for one night, and then got picked up the next day at noon by a driver from Krishna Ranch. We were brought to a stunning yet modest ranch where we met the incredibly kind owner, Dinesh. We settled in in our cabin/room, which was much nicer than images show (hot shower, large bedroom, etc)... We then went horseback riding and enjoyed a late (DELICIOUS) lunch overlooking a gorgeous lake/mountain. The horseback riding was a blast -- I personally hadn't ridden since I was a young child, so they put me on a beginner's horse who behaved exceptionally well. When the ride was done, we got back and showered, then enjoyed a campfire outside. We also heard music and found out that it was from a nearby wedding, so we went with one of the ranch employees (in our pajamas!) and crashed the wedding, which was also a blast. Finally, we came back, went to bed, and woke up to an incredible view and breakfast, and finally were brought back into Udaipur by a rickshaw driver. Overall, Krishna Ranch was an absolute delight and showed another side to India that I am so happy I saw. I CANNOT recommend this experience enough for anyone going to Udaipur for at least 2 days.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends