“Hotel visit for Cultural Exchange Programme”
Review of Ravla Khempur

Ravla Khempur
Ranked #6 of 273 Udaipur B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 October 2012

I visited this hotel whist participating on a cultural exchange programme in India (Udaipur) with chandra niwas.
We only went to visit for afew hours but it was time well spent! The hospitality of the staff was superb and anything you needed, they were very efficent. The manager (who has a kind, friendly nature) took us on a tour, showing us various rooms and areas of the hotel from scenes they shot in the movie (the best exotic marigold hotel,' which i found quite exciting. Another staff member kindly took me around the rural village, greeting the local people and taking pictures.
Obvioulsy this trip would not of been possible if it wasnt for being involved with cultural exchange programme and i really enjoyed every aspect.
My only critism is that the food could of been up to higher standards. We had a lunch put on for us which i didnt really enjoy and found quite tastless for the usual indian food, but overall it was a fantastic day and i would recommend anyone coming to stay or visit.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank liz s
There are newer reviews for Ravla Khempur

Reviewed 9 September 2012

We went to the Ravla after researching the location of the film " The best exotic marigold hotel". The location is very quiet, in a rural village and about an hours drive from Udaipur - far from the hustle and bustle. There is no memorabilia from the movie, not even a photo to show any of the actors. It is questionable if any filming was done there. If you are expecting luxury, this is not the place. The rooms are large but airless and you can't open the windows because of insects. The fan has 2 speeds, fast or off. There is no hot water, wifi or AC. The staff try their hardest to accommodate your needs and are very pleasant. I think after watching the movie I was expecting something very different.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank PushkarNSW
Reviewed 6 September 2012

For the persons looking for a different travel experience, one that will offer a fascinating glimpse into the soul of the Indian culture, look no further than the Villa Ravla Khempur. It a perfect location for a romantic getaway, groups of friends, business, family, or really anyone to have a home away from home. The Ravla is a fantastic location for parties, or musical events too. The beautiful tranquil setting is complemented by a very warm and professional staff. Nitin, Ravla's manager is the most gracious host I have ever encountered in my many travels abroad. Anything, we needed or wanted, dreamed, or hoped to do Nitin arranged with ease. My husband and myself wanted to experience the village life. Well, we not only walked throughout the village with Nitin and Mohan( Ravla's awesome and wonderful caretaker) and the talented Gunshoum (sp) but after meeting many of the villagers and school children we wanted to do something meaningful in return to thank them for opening up their lives and homes to us. May we buy school supplies for the children? Nitin and Mohan brought us to a store in town where we purchased the school supplies; enough for over sixty children and under twenty dollars. There, I thought we were through, but no, we were brought to the school to meet with the principal, teachers , and students to personally give the supplies to the students. I remain overwhelmed by the warmth and soul of this most unparalleled experience.
We also met a lovely girl named Teena whom we hired to make bracelets and necklaces for our family members back home, she even painted our hands and ankles with henna, the traditional Mehndi painting, yet another an amazing experience! Our family is thrilled with her beaded jewelry.
In the evening we went to Ravla Khempur's temple to share in the prayers, later in the evening Mohan, Gunshoum, and others sang, danced, and played music for us. Incredible!
We took cooking lessons too!
The Ravla Khempur has several painted murals, absolutely stunning architecture, many horses, cows, birds, even peacocks a plenty ( just wait until you hear their call!), a haven for those of us who adore history, natural beauty, wonderful food, and the most endearing people I have been fortunate to meet. Truly, an experience of a lifetime! Thank you so very much!

Room Tip: We had a choice when we arrived, they are all wonderful!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ksrooney
Reviewed 4 July 2012

I went here in the footsteps of "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel". I wasn't expecting super luxury as I new before hand that the room did not have air-conditioning. But what I did like was the personal attention given to me Mohan, the caretaker of the place, the simple yet good food, peace and my sundowner at the nearby lake.

Its also a place for horse lovers with 3 adult horses and plently of good tracks to ride out.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank CymricW
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We recently had a fantastic holiday in India courtesy of True Luxury Tours - which company I cannot recommend more highly. One highlight has to be our stay in Ravla Kempur. When we arrived, we were greeted by a board announcing 'The Best Marigold Exotic Hotel'! However, unlike the premises in the film, this hotel is off the beaten track. Our room was lovely with original stained glass windows and antique furniture Service was exceptional: the manager, Nitin, and his staff could not have done anything more to make us feel special, valued guests, for example arranging a picnic at a nearby lake with no notice. I gather there are other options such as camel safaris and rides out on the beautiful Malwari horses but this is such a beautiful place to just chill. The residents of the adjoining village are exceptionally, Do go!

Room Tip: We were offered a choice - so up to you!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank CatherineP186299
Reviewed 20 April 2012

This heritage hotel is the perfect place to take time out and enjoy authentic Indian village life. The staff and management can't do enough to look after their guests in a discreet but friendly way and they embrace those who are genuinely interested to learn more about their village life. The rural location is easily accessible from Udaipur with great roads leading there ... I can't imagine why this place has stayed so unspoilt and devoid of tourists. Long may it last! The hotel is currently being upgraded but they're retaining all the charm and low key approach that make this place so special. Add to that the most wonderful happy community in Khempur (no hassle from people here at all), the chance to ride top class horses or just enjoy time with them, a short drive to a stunning lake, fantastic food and overall peace and quiet. Go now before too many people hear about it and make sure you stay at least a few days during the middle or end of your trip. I loved it and will go back when I can.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank Lisa H
Reviewed 9 March 2012

i have stayed in this place with my friends.i think its one of the fabulous place i can think of ,when some one can take about a great vacation ,the staff and the kind of hospitality this place provide with a great attitude is outstanding.i have no words to explain it .
This place have great chefs with some incredible food knowledge and a wide range of food options.
Again, if i ever get a chance to travel to this place i will not have a second thought in my mind about it..XOXOXX
great job ppl.....