“Where is the view of the lake??”

Chunda Palace Hotel
Reviewed 30 January 2012

This hotel has a 5 star rating but I honestly cannot understand why anyone would give it a 3 star rating let alone a 5 star rating! We spent 3 nights here over Christmas. The rooms were all rather faded. Views of the lake were promised from our rooms but it was in reality a view of the Oberoi's car park.The spa bath didn't work. There were so many light switches that it took half an hour to find them & I received an electric shock from the bedside light. The noise was terrible from the Oberoi carpark below. Rats were present at night around the indoor pool. Pool towels were given as bath towels each day as they never seemed to have enough bath towels & then if they did have enough bath towels, they were threadbare.
One positive was the service in the restaurant which was very good. The outdoor pool area was also very nicely presented with good views.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Jenny3009

Reviewed 24 January 2012

This massive marble hotel is quirky but comfortable, I satyed for a wedding and was impressed with the servie and the view of the lake. Some of the rooms are poorly designed but all are made of impressive marble and have ample space.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the 3rd floor for easy pool access
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank CandidKiwi
Reviewed 23 January 2012

This hotel appears as 5* on many review sites and has the potential to be a fantastic boutique hotel as the building itself (right next to the Oberoi Udaivilas) and the general interior decor and facilities are quite lovely. However I can only assume that the supposedly charming and professional staff from previous reviews have been abducted by aliens and replaced by people who have never even been in an upscale hotel never mind worked in one.

The exception to this was the gentleman in the terrace restaurant who was polite and well informed and generally worthy of a 5* residence although his uniform was rather grubby. The food, the surroundings and the views in this restaurant are all lovely and we can recommend the India 'Sula' sparkling wine - tastes a bit like a basic Cava.The hotel bedrooms (we saw two) were fine - again with the lovely painted walls and ceilings - but rather big and echo-y, with the suite in particular having lots of unusable space that just made it cold and empty feeling instead of comfortable and luxurious. Wifi is free but unreliable and doesn't reach everywhere in the hotel.

Things that the management need to improve on, and that may make a difference when you are deciding where to stay are as follows:

(1) The supposedly heated indoor swimming pool was NOT in fact heated, although no-one bothered to mention this until I tried it and it was about 15 degrees. Apparently it was a maintenance issue; I would *not* have booked this hotel if I had known I would have not been able to swim comfortably, so when I went to reception to complain I expected to be compensated in some way; however the woman at reception just looked completely blankly at me until I insisted, whereby I got a 'I have to talk to my manager'. To be fair the manager called shortly afterwards to offer a free room upgrade but why have such unempowered/clueless staff as the front of house, public face of the hotel?

(2) We wanted a car service to collect us from another location in Udaipur to bring us and our luggage to the hotel, so we called the hotel in advance using the only number available on the website which is the reservations number. The person we spoke to was adamant that they couldn't help us as they were "only reservations, ma'am" but neither could they transfer our call to someone who COULD help us, so they took a number from us (luckily we have an Indian mobile otherwise this could have resulted in expensive roaming charges). Someone from the 'travel desk' called us back to confirm our requirements, and then called us back again, to tell us that they had arranged a taxi for us. The price seemed high but we thought reasonable for a 5* hotel pickup service, however what arrived - and this after three phone calls, two at our own expense - was a regular taxi to whom we had to pay cash on arrival at the hotel. NOT what we expected from a supposedly glamorous heritage hotel!

3) On arrival no-one met us at reception, we had got our own suitcases out of the taxi before someone appeared and 'told' us to put our bags in a specific place. We would have expected a polite greeting, a "hello, good afternoon sir/madam, welcome to our hotel, please leave your bags etc etc" but instead we got a vague gesturing towards the reception area and eventually a muttered "make yourself comfortable".

4) The first 'double' room we had was actually two single beds joined together. Again not what you would expect from a high-end hotel. The duvet in our suite was not big enough, only just covering the surface of the mattress so *not* covering it once two people got into the bed!

5) The hotel doesn't provide robes, even in the suite. We had to ask even to get slippers.

6) When I couldn't find 'the book' (the folder that all hotels have listing services etc) in our suite I called down for one to be sent up. One hour later I called back to see where it was and was told that someone was on their way - they appeared with a welcome letter; not what I was after. I headed down to reception to pick one up myself and was told by one of the people on reception that they didn't have such a thing. It was only when I insisted that there had been one in our first room that someone managed to find one for me! The BASIC directory of hotel services!

7) We ordered the following from room service: 2 cheese toasties, two beers, two bottles of water and one pot of hot chocolate. We got the following deliveries to our room:
(i) two beers
(ii) ten minutes later, the toasties and a pot of hot milk that they had forgotten to put chocolate into.
(iii) after calling down and requesting the chocolate, a bowl of hot chocolate powder for us to stir into the now cooling milk.
(iv) eventually, after calling down again, the water we requested.
To be fair, when the door bell rang for the 5th time (we were trying to watch a film in bed!) we were a bit annoyed so the fact that they had brought us chocolate brownies and ice-cream for free to make up for the previous cock-ups just ironically added to our irritation (but was a nice gesture, even though I'm allergic to nuts).

The hotel has only been open for a year so I understand that there can be teething problems, but there is such a wide difference between the things and the people that work really well and the ridiculously terrible things (loose electrical cables in the bathroom?!? staff muttering and giggling to each other in the corridors and ignoring the guests?!) that I can't really see how it is being consistently managed. Perhaps we had over-high expectations coming from the Taj Lake Palace the previous night, but then until we came to Udaipur we had been staying in 400-800 rupee/night backpacker places and got more reliable service than this!

I have copied the information in this review to the GM of the hotel and I hope to have a face to face meeting with him to discuss these points tomorrow morning.

Room Tip: Don't bother with a suite unless you plan to do serious entertaining - the normal rooms are big...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sparklebcn
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Chunda Palace is an actual "palace" transformed into a hotel. It is beautifully restored with various elaborately painted sitting rooms, and indoor and outdoor rooftop pool, (not heated in the winter though) lovely bar, and a terrific rooftop restaurant (conveniently providing a beautiful light-filled indoor space) serving a delicious top-notch breakfast buffet of Indian and Western standards. There is a super view of the lake and hills from the rooftops which overlook the Trident and Oberoi hotels. There are many lovely and tasteful decorative touches throughout the space. However you are a bit removed from the center of town and most of the sites (a 15 minute walk/5 min. rickshaw ride to Hamanum Ghat area with many of the drivers really upping the price because of this location). The reception/service was accommodating but preoccupied. I requested a hairdryer (should already be in the room), a mat (got a pool towel instead), candles- for the "bathroom" smell; they did not have a city map. Our jacuzzi tub did not work even though we had maintenance come to repair it 3 separate times. It would have been appropriate to be offered another room or a discount. For the cost, the rooms should come with at least a robe to use and more than one treadmill in the "exercise area". I did very much enjoy the uniqueness of the space but as a first time visitor to Udaipur, I felt a bit removed and would have liked to be in the midst of the town.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2012

My wife and I had been to Udiapur last November for a holiday in Rajasthan and on the last leg we were in Udaipur. We were not quite impressed with the painting since we found it to be too load. Not an inch or wall or sealing was let unpainted be it the lobby, the floor or the bed rooms. The staff was good and helpful. The rooftop restaurant serves good food. But as I said the decore was too loud for my taste.

Room Tip: I would not go again so I cannot say on this.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HussainNalwala
Reviewed 8 January 2012

This was a nice surprise during our India tour. The elegant and grand interiors are a reason to stay there -- and the unbeatable 360 degree views from the rooftop restaurant and lounging areas are a reason to not leave. The hotel is on a small hilltop and overlooks the Oberoi and Trident's gardens with views of the city palace and Lake Palace Hotel, the lakes and surrounding mountains. The staff was quite helpful (one housekeeping staff even tailored a salwaar kameez for me in 20 minutes including a fitting for no charge). An improvement for this type of hotel would be the inclusion of a small spa or the ability to have services come into the hotel. Using the Trident's services next door was ok, but not really a desirable option. We were initially concerned about being too far from the old city but it was only a quick tuk-tuk or car ride away and the location actually provides the best views of the old city. It was enjoyable and a good value for the money. We would definitely stay here on a return visit.

Room Tip: Our second-floor bedroom was opulently grand but cozy with a spa bathroom -- on par with western fou...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2012

This hotel is a modernised noble home converted to a hotel. The carved wood and ivory doors Wood and sliver carved furniture ,carved wall panels and paintings all give you an idea of how the nobles lived.Service is friendly and efficient.
The roof top pool and dining area is romantic.Compared to other palace hotels this is very reasonably priced and good value

Room Tip: I preferred the ambience of the older section with the carved walls in the room and paintings to th...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family