“"Kids are not allowed in this Villa"”
Review of Sheesh Mahal

Sheesh Mahal
Ranked #41 of 733 Restaurants in Udaipur
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“"Kids are not allowed in this Villa"”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Let me know start this with total negativity. I had come to Udaipur for a business meeting. Knowing the beauty of this city, I brought my family together. My business partner decided to bring us to Leela for dinner last night. Entering this massive hotel, we all were highly impressed with the ambiance, and welcome from the staff. Not to forget, the view from this hotel is breath-taking.
Things started turning upside down, when we decided to hit the library bar first, where our kids were not allowed. Are you serious. For a moment we felt ridiculous, but we thought things can be sorted out. So, we call the manger Mr. Nair, and asked him for any possible changes.
His funny reply was "we do not allow kids,as alcohol is a strong impression, and it is our policy."

My business partner was furious post listening to these golden words, but I literally laughed out. If the management had such health conscious views, why do they even have a bar in the first place. Post the whole argument, we asked him to serve us in the restaurant, the manager was ok with it. Does this mean that Mr. Nair feels that in restaurants kids shut their eyes while having their meal. Didn't expect this level of "stupidness" from a hotel of such stature.

I do not recommend this hotel, for visitors looking for a family experience.

• Visited October 2013

Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Terrible Service!!!”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

The reason for me visiting the Udaipur was my friends wedding and it was my first visit to Udaipur, which is no doubt a beautiful place. After all the wedding events were peacefully completed, we decided to go for a nice dinner the next day and one of my friends through tripadvisor found this restaurant, which seemed to be good at least in the picture they have attached to the restaurant profile. On the first sight the view from the restaurant was outstanding and the ambiance blew my head away. But here starts the bad happenings, first of all we were not given the table we booked in advanced. We tried to argue with the manager but he was adamant on not giving us our booked table as it was booked later by a VIP. We thought its a waste and decided to sit on another table with pretty decent view. While placing the order, we asked the manager 'Nilesh' to suggest some special dishes which they serve, but he was not that helpful. Then we ordered for food, which took almost 1 hour to come on our table. The worst thing was we had to ASK the waiters to serve the food everytime which was very annoying. After paying so much money, arguing with the manager, waiting for the waiters to serve the food, we decided to go for a stroll around the hotel premises. There we a found a library bar that we were not aware of, and there comes the Manager 'Nilesh' again saying "Sir, You cannot take your kid inside". What the hell!!! Will he drink all the alcohol they were serving? Overall, it was a terrible experience and I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Visited June 2013
Udaipur, India
“the worst ever experience”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Yesterday they topped the worst ever experience of any hotel/restaurant I ever had. So when you book for outside dining they have outside dining and super outside dining...which they don't even bother to inform when someone making a reservation. If you have a kid they don't allow you in library bar...which I found OK..even thou some restaurant even in US allow kids to be in places where alcohol and food is served.
So even in their super outside restaurant which is a eating place they don't allow kids....what are they trying to promote....not to have kids or not to get married so that you have kids. Ridiculous. whereas just 10 feet away you can eat with your kid....what?
May be Mr. Nair does not respect kids...may be someone in his house have noisy kids....so parents with kids you are banned.
Also here comes the big slap on your face....sir this restaurant have different cover charge....hey did you just x-rayed by pocket....dude after leaving your super insulting and kid banished hotel/restaurant I spend $1500 dollars in Udai Vilas which had no restriction whatsoever and their manners and service was impeccable. Leela you will never get a single dollar or rupee from me ever.
Also let me add this...we reserved the boat for 6:30pm which arrived like 7:00 pm. Last year they messed with my reservation and totally forgot about it...I thought its ok mess up happens in India so went again to get insulted to core.
Anyone wanna talk about this call me anytime....I will be glad to explain in detail.
Yes let me speak the name of worst restaurant manager 'Nilesh', he seems to have no brain at all.

• Visited October 2013
4 Thank MadhuSD
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect Evening!”
Reviewed 13 March 2013

My wife and I were visiting Udaipur for a wedding and planned a quiet night away from the festivities. I made a reservation by email before the leaving the UK and received a prompt response from the Food & Beverage Manager at the Leela Palace confirming this.

On arrival we were asked to wait in the courtyard whilst the doormen checked our reservations as we were not staying at the Leela Palace, once confirmed we were taken by golf cart to the bar as we were early.

The bar area was stunning with great views over the lake and the city beyond. When our table was ready we were taken to it and sat on the ground level with a fantastic view over the lake.

There was a traditional Rajasthani music and dance show taking place and this made the ambience even more amazing.

The food was fantastic - an extensive menu with something for everyone. Each dish we ordered was great. The pomp and ceremony with which we were served was amazing and helped make this a special evening.

A great evening in Udaipur - it's a must!

• Visited March 2013
New Delhi, India
“Terrible Service”
Reviewed 6 March 2013

The views from Sheesh Mahal are spectacular and the food is good (thank you Chefs Kayzad and Puneet), however I definitely wont go back to this restaurant and possibly not even the hotel based on our service experience. Our reservation had been made by The Udaivilas where we were staying. On arrival, we were taken upstairs to the terrace and seated at a lovely table. None of the other tables were laid and we were told that the terrace was exclusively ours for the evening. Just as we placed orders for drinks, Nilesh the restaurant manager approached us and said we had to move downstairs to another table as his staff had botched up the reservation. He alluded we had not given accurate information related to our reservation to his staff. When we moved downstairs, our table of choice was not made available. Zero on ten for managing expectations Mr. Restaurant Manager. Anyway, to cut a long story short the clumsy service was topped by Nilesh not being available for the rest of the evening and Jatin the F&B Manager saying 'we are all human beings, let's pray that we get better'! On the flipside, we really enjoyed chatting with Chef Puneet. We rushed through desert so we could get back to the very warm and welcoming environment of The Oberoi Udaivilas.

Visited March 2013