3,433 results
All reviews rose petals lake palace neel kamal lily pond royal umbrella jiva spa indian restaurant dance performance heritage tour once in a lifetime like royalty heritage walk sunset cruise royal suite moment you arrive unique hotel fairy tale
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I was expecting top class and wasn't dissapointed at the Lake Palace. While the standard Taj properties often don't excite the palace hotels are really quite unique. We've lived in India for 2 years and done our fair share of travel but were really impressed with the Lake Palace. Sure, we bagged an upgrade, staying in one of the royal suites for 4 nights, and were treated to free desserts and lunch on our last day ("it's your last meal with us so how could we charge...") but despite these extras the service was faultless and the property is truly unique. We visited Udaipur one afternoon but hurried back to the hotel...as they say at Raffles, another destination hotel, when at the Lake Palace, visit Udaipur.

Room Tip: The suites and other rooms on the lake edges are the pick of the property.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pc666
Reviewed 6 April 2012

My wife and I stayed here for four nights last week. We found every aspect of the experience to be first class. From the arrival by boat and the shower of rose petals as we entered the reception to the al fresco dining with spectacular views of the Udaipur City Palace everything was done to make us feel very special.

The palace itself is beautiful, really well maintained and very comfortably furnished. Our room was spacious with a lovely view over the lake. Our personal butler helped us settle in and made sure that we understood all of the amenities and facilities available during our stay.

One small example of the quality of service. One evening we noticed that the royal barge had left its mooring and people were dinning on the deck as they cruised the lake. We asked if we could dine on the barge the following evening. We were told that unfortunately it had been booked. We thought 'ok, never mind'. However the following afternoon one of the managers sought us out as we sat by the pool. He said the barge was still booked for dinner but they had arranged for my wife and I to have a sunset cruise round the lake with canapés and drinks! This was entirely complementary, a gesture of goodwill from the Taj Lake Palace!

Udaipur itself is one of the most spectacular cities we have been to in India, the City Palace is well worth a visit, as is a walking tour of the city itself. All of this was organised by the Taj Palace.

Absolutely first class.

Room Tip: Any room with a lake view.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Having travelled around northern India, my partner and I both agreed that the Oberoi hotels are in a class of their own. Yes, Taj hotels have the monopoly on the traditional historic buildings, but beyond that everything just seems a bit dated and tired. Maybe that's why I was disappointed with the Lake Palace. Having seen a magical looking photo of the hotel a few years ago it was on my list of things to do and I must admit, despite there being a plethora of wonderful hotels on the edge of the lake, I wouldn't have considered staying anywhere else. My advice to you is to have a more open mind than me! Of course it's a fabulous sight to behold, but then when you get up close you realise that it looks a bit tired and grubby. Compared to the Oberois we had stayed in elsewhere on our visit, staff were slow and starchy. The room was small, badly laid out and in need of updating. Breakfast and lunch were poor quality for the price...all in all I was left with a bad taste in my mouth. Then we went to the Oberoi and Leela for dinner and both were outstanding. Not only that, but you could sit and have dinner and drinks while looking at the gorgeous palace on the lake (sufficient distance to blur the tired bits). That's when I finally got to appreciate what a wonderful sight it is. So my advice to you is stay at the Oberoi or Leela and admire the view. You can even get a boat to go over to the Lake Palace for a drink, but there's no need to stay longer and shatter the illusion of the great mystical palace on the lake.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KTSE1
Reviewed 3 April 2012

This hotel is a must stay as it is an attraction in itself. It was our first time in Udaipur and I'm glad we chose this hotel. At the Taj Lake Palace they really do treat their guests as royals! attending to your every need. We dined on the roof top restaurant one evening which had spectacular views and watched the late afternoon entertainment which most guests gathered round for, this was delightful to watch. It is rather pricey but if you've never stayed here before I would definitely recommend it's worth a one-off stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bina P
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Staying at the Lake Palace truly is a magical experience. Absolutely over-the-top in ambance, comfort and service. We stayed two nights and wished we had planed for three! Be sure to take advantage of the superb dinner on the rooftop with fireworks, cocktails with dancers and their sunset cruise. This is what you are hoping for when you visit India, so hang the expense and go for it.

Room Tip: If you book the Taj chain of hotels throughout your tour through India, they invariably will upgrade you to suites whenever possible. This happened to us at the Lake Palace, where we were given one of the Maharana's corner suites with a sunset view. Fabulous. Note: you will have to walk up stairs - it's worth it!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple