“Perhaps the "Perfect 10".”

Taj Lake Palace Udaipur
Ranked #2 of 165 Hotels in Udaipur
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Having looked at the many rightly effusive previous reviews, it is difficult to add anything that has not already been said. Everything is virtually perfect and it is obvious that this comes from meticulous management and genuine care. Indeed, the attention to detail in all aspects cannot be faulted - and this is certainly reflected in the service given to the guests.
Our 3-night stay was to celebrate my 60th birthday and I was touched by the amount of effort and generosity displayed by all the staff in making it a very special event. Thank you.
This attention to detail includes the daily changing of thousands of brightly coloured petals arranged in a pattern, floating in large round water-filled urns and the lighting of hundreds of tea lights at night - particualrly around the beautifully presented lily ponds - to create a magical scene. This is ambience at its most perfect.
I have one suggestion which may prove unpopular in some quarters - The Taj Palace Hotel absolutely oozes peace and tranquility and indeed this is actively promoted. Perhaps then, make this hotel for adults only? I'll say no more.
So, do read and believe the positive reviews. Then picture yourself in the middle of the cooling lake surrounded in a bubble of tranquility. Add fabulous service, wonderful food, pampering and more than a dash of colonial opulance. The sum total could well be 10 out of 10.

Reviewed 2 January 2013

From the rose petals floating down from above on arrival to the wonderful gift that I was given on departure this hotel is totally without fault. The rooms are breathtaking with every thought possible given to the comfort and enjoyment of the guests. The second night we were upgraded to a 'Royal Suite' The guide books say that an appreciative smile and a 'Thank you' go a long way in India, so perhaps it was our enthusiastic response to our rose petal greeting. Whatever, it was like a dreamy film set, never to be forgotten. The staff are amazing and seem to genuinely want to please - they do! If you get the chance to stay at this hotel, please go, you will not regret tit.

Room Tip: Request a Lake View.
Reviewed 1 January 2013

I recently stayed at the taj lake palace. I have always wanted to stay here and it lived up to everything in my imagination and more. Traveling alone as a single woman they went out of their way to make me feel welcome and we'll taken care of. I made a mistake on my flight to mumbai, they welcomed me back for the day giving me a new room and provided transport back to the airport gratis. I am truly impressed and will be forever grateful.
Thank you for making my stay memorable.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank jnsjennifer
Reviewed 28 December 2012

On our second visit to Udaipur we decided to stay this time at Taj Lake Palace instead of Oberoi. We loved Oberoi last time so we wanted to check out Taj. We are in awe of this property. From first reception to farewell , the service, staff room decor, food were all superb. My compliments to management and staff. We booked our stay via American Express And we were upgraded to a suite which is fit for a Maharaja. If you are planning a visit, this is the place to stay. This is indeed best in the world.

1  Thank ravi n
Reviewed 28 December 2012

We travelled to Udaipur for a wedding and decided to spend some time at the famous Lake Palace. After unsuccessfully hunting around for a 'good deal', I ended up booking on the pretty steep and way over our budget rack rate. However, I counted on our stay being pretty special due to the hotel's reputation and we were not disappointed.

Whilst the lake setting and historic architecture create a memorable experience, the hotel staff make the experience truly special. The general manager, the jetty staff, the restaurant team and the security staff who returned a bag to us, which we left in the bar. Everyone goes out of their way to make the experience memorable. We ate at the hotel every night enjoying a mix of local and western dishes (at western prices). One night we ordered very little as we were not especially hungry but our delightful waitress Rose brought us a number of additional dishes and even a dessert which turned our light supper into something of a banquet.

There is nothing to fault about this hotel. It is simply a magical experience. The setting is uniquely beautiful and could be enjoyed from the pool, the room and the sunset cruise which is a must . I hope very much to be able to return one day.

Room Tip: Rooms with views of the City Palace offer the best views IMHO. We booked through Leading Hotels of t...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 December 2012

I've been there in 2011 spending Christmas time in their suite.
Enjoyed two restaurants in Versace and Gold style.
Was bit busy with American tourists.
Food an room service are excellent, but what can you expect when one night cost a year salary for some locals?
Unforgettable time for couples.

Take a boat trip with champagne in the evening: Le romantique!
Only I would NOT advice to hire guides on such hotel since they will only try to show you shops they get % from.I was "kindly" being pushed to visit some good shops but it was not the right thing to do.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 December 2012

This is one of the kewlest properties I have ever been to, as it sits in the middle of the lake, surrounded only by water. It's beyond romantic. They make you feel like royalty, which is how you should feel in a palace. The morning and evening ragas are so beautiful, as well as the flute players, and all the live musicians and performers. I will return one day. We were engaged here, and I can't fathom a more serene and beautiful setting. Take a boat ride in the evening. It is stunning.