I'm always worried that staying at a place more expensive than I'd normally stay won't be *that* much better, and I'll be disappointed I spent the extra money. Not so at the Taj Lake Palace in Udaipur. From the time you pull up at their launch across the lake to the time you leave, your every whim is catered to, and in a way that makes you think that the person fulfilling said whim is absolutely thrilled to do so. Really. They refer to you as "their king and queen" and whilst one's personal balance sheet may beg to differ, one could truly forget she wasn't as she's treated so well here.
All rooms (less ~4 that are lily pond only due to their placement) are lake views, and ours overlooked the City Palace (the other side overlooks the sunset). The front door onto the balcony hallway faces the lily pond, which is lit with candles every evening and set with fresh flower petals every morning. Our room was spacious with a large settee for gazing over the water - the bay window view was so beautiful it seemed like a large painting!
Meals are not normally included, but the breakfast is served in the BEST room - another gorgeous room that yet manages to be cozy - and the food is an array of international favorites (with omelettes for the Americans, brioche for the French, and an array of fresh fruit to name a few) - completely worth it. We had dinner at the Indian restaurant which was fantastic; our server was very thoughtful with his suggestions and our drinks well made (DH had a tamarind margarita that he couldn't get enough of!) We even arrived late but were served with no huffing and puffing - just the sheer joy of a long-awaited guest finally coming for a visit.
On our second night we wanted some privacy and (believe it or not) ordered room service so we could enjoy the view alone. (It should be noted that they have an International Restaurant on a roof deck that we would have loved to have tried, but it was a bit chilly for me.) The food was phenomenal! And the butler quickly arranged our table such that we could both enjoy the view, too. Usually room service is my way of working through a meal to meet a deadline or avoiding a solo meal in a public dining room - but I actually highly recommend doing this here - it allows you to truly enjoy the space.
Finally, we visited the Monsoon Palace on the hill (which isn't that attractive in and of itself, but the views are incredible), and City Palace for the treed roof deck. Although I'm sure Udaipur is an amazing city, once we set foot into the Taj Lake Palace it was really hard to leave!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The ethereal Taj Lake Palace affords guests the pleasures of India's bygone princely era. Over the centuries, it has played host to royalty, poets and writers and the Maharana's guests. Trappings like a welcoming vintage car ride to the charming city of Udaipur, the Jiva Spa boat, royal butlers, recipes from traditional Mewari cuisine and arrival by boat - all little facets that make this former pleasure palace the celebrated luxury hotel it is today. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Expedia, DerbySoftTaj, Southall Travel, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Taj Lake Palace Udaipur reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Taj Lake Palace Udaipur Hotel Udaipur
- Lake Palace Udaipur
- Taj Lake Palace Hotel Udaipur
- Lake Palace Hotel Udaipur
- Udaipur Taj Lake Palace