“Magical stay at the Lake Palace”

Taj Lake Palace Udaipur
Ranked #2 of 163 Hotels in Udaipur
Reviewed 17 April 2013

My husband and I recently stayed for 3 nights at the Taj Lake Palace. We have both travelled extensively and this hotel is by far the best we have ever stayed in anywhere in the world. We were greeted at the jetty with cool face towels and iced water. Our boat puttered over to the Palace and as we stepped off the magical experience began. A beautifully dressed attendant helped me off the boat and shaded me with a parisole up to the entrance where we were showered with rose petals! A welcome drink and wonderul chat with the friendly front od house staff followed and we knew we were in for a treat. Our room was SPECTACULAR. We stayed in the Sandhya Royal Suite and literally felt like royalty. We can't thank the staff enough (restaurant, front of house, bar, pool, bpoats, housekeeping, IT) enough. A truly amazing experience and we look forward to visiting again. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Taj Lake Palace Udaipur

Reviewed 15 April 2013

I'd agree Taj Lake Palace is one of the best Hotels in the world.
From the moment you arrived at the jetty you are treated like royalty. Rose petals cascade down on you as you arrive and your offered delisous drinks.
The hotel arranged for an early check in for us and upgraded our room complimentry.
There is not one thing wrong this this place it is 5 star all the way.
My son was a bit fed up as the pool is closed to children between 12 noon & 5pm. This was ok with me and the management sent a lovely lady along to give my son a tour of the hotel which kept him busy. There were lots to do & if he'd wanted to watch a film the butler would have brought one to the room with a dvd.
This is a special place and I'll remember my stay for ever.
The breakfast was to die for!!! The evening meal not expensive but very nice. Wine a bit pricey but hay its imported and is in most hotels.
Fantastic spa......VERY VERY SPECIAL PLACE....

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 April 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Lake Palace for two nights at the end of our two week vacation in India. Wow! The property and experience is amazing. The service and food was fantastic. We highly recommend you stay at a Taj property while in India. Thank you Taj for a very memorable stay.

Room Tip: If you have a sweet tooth and enjoy in-room service order the Ren & Stimpy or the King Kong Deli...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SirTurtle
Reviewed 14 April 2013

This is not a hotel in the normal sense of the word.

When I was a poor student doing research in India, one of my contacts arranged for me to be shown around the Lake Palace and stay for a beer to watch the sun set. Twenty-six years later my daughter said she wanted to visit India so after some careful budgeting I decided to treat ourselves to our last night here. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

When I asked if there was any reason my 11 yr old daughter and I had been upgraded to a suit, I was told that they wanted to give her an experience to remember for a lifetime. It would still have been worth every penny without the upgrade - I give this story as an example of the attitude of the staff.

At the lake Palace you don't just look at beauty, you experience it and absorb it.

If you think you can't afford it unless you scrimp and save just to go here for one night on a special deal in the hot summer season - do it! It's worth it and more.

Room Tip: I would be very surprised if there is a 'bad' room. Pick whatever you can afford.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Probably the most beautiful hotel with definitely the best service I have ever experienced at a hotel.The boat ride to the hotel sets the stage for a memorable, magical experience.The grounds, lobby and rooms are beautiful. ( Note: We actually liked the luxury room that our daughter and son-in-law stayed in better than our palace room. Both had lake views but their view was more expansive. The extra alcove in ours actually cut off the view and the chaise or couch in theirs was more inviting than the chairs in ours.)
Breakfast choices were extensive and delicious. There is a good sized buffet plus a number of made to order dishes available. We had dinner both at Neelkamal (Indian) and the rooftop restaurant Bhairo. The view from the rooftop is lovely but we didn't find the food all that good. Given that it is an expensive prix fixe menu, were we to go back we would skip it. Neelkamal was quite good.
All in all the Lake Palace is close to perfect. Any flaws are easily overlooked.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank starmom19
Reviewed 10 April 2013

For our 25th wedding anniversary, we included the Lake Palace as one of our stops in India. On arrival, after our boat trip across the lake, we were greeted by wonderful staff, a shower of rose petals and welcome cool drink. A painless and efficient check in was followed by a tour of the Palace. When we arrived at our room we discovered we were upgraded to one of the Royal Suites, Mayur Mahal. It was magnificent. As our anniversary fell during our stay, we were presented with a delicious cake, sweets and an umbrella. The staff took a photograph and emailed it to us. The food in all the restaurants was excellent, with the rooftop being the most dramatic, and romantic setting. This is the best hotel we have stayed in and we will return. A big thank you to the staff.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2013

First things first: the Lake Palace is NOT cheap. We stayed there for two nights as part of a self-organised two week tour of Rajasthan - this was our treat to ourselves and cost more than the accommodation for the entire rest of the trip. But we didn't regret it at all.

The location and the building are, obviously, stunning - we particularly loved the gorgeous pool area and the lush gardens. But what makes this place is the staff - always attentive but never intrusive, always friendly but never obsequious, they truly made us feel special. We were upgraded from a garden view room to a palace view room (with a door opening directly onto the gardens) and their obvious pleasure at making our visit even more special was just lovely.

If there is one downside it's that the rooms are on the small side, but you won't want to spend much time there anyway - you'll be out soaking up the atmosphere of the Lake Palace and of Udaipur. If, like us, you're not usually in the market for luxury hotels but want a very special experience, this is it. Go on, spoil yourself.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family